• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Spin

Drewford

I know that many factors contribute to the amount of spin you put on a disc like your wrist snap, arm speed, and grip. Is it better to have more or less spin when going for distance? Can too much spin cause the disc to fade too early in flight? Does it depend on the disc itself?

too much spin is never bad. more spin = more consistent flights.

If a disc is rotating harder(spinning more) its going to act stable and push forward vs getting off line early either left or right.

Oh ok. So I guess it's like the whole gyro thing? It keeps it stable.

On occasion you will see the disc come out all fluttery but the spin on it will make it smooth out. The spin, like aim said, stabilizes the disc which then allows it to do its thing. if there is not enough spin it will flutter and fall. Of course you don't want any flutter to begin with lol.

I actually haven't seen anyone demonstrate that they can actually control the amount of spin they get on a drive. It's interesting to talk about the effects, but if you want to learn to throw better you should work on mechanics and timing. Trying to worry about spin and speed is putting the cart before the horse. If your mechanics and timing are good, you'll get the "right" amount of spin.

I found a little bit about some experiments that Erin Hemmings (big D thrower) did:

http://pdga.us/discussion/showthread.php?t=28883

He couldn't actively control spin and he got more spin at lower disc speeds.

The fact that more spin leads to less fade goes along with the theory that added spin helps to hold whatever line the disc is put on, despite it's inherent flight characteristics. I play with an old-timer that does some sort of thumb cock to add spin when he throws long annys with a over stable driver and he bombs the most beautiful start to finish anny that I've ever seen.