• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

spray painting a disc?

gcanter2376

Eagle Member
Anybody ever spray paint a disc for giggles? Im sure it makes it illegal. I have an orc i found that somebody tried to dye and the dye is terrible and faded. May try this just to see how it comes out. Thoughts?

Spray paint cracks and chips after a while. My friend found a painted putter and its been cracking and chipping ever since. I haven't thrown it but im sure it adds some weight and its a weird texture. Just dye it again.

I spray painted one gold and attached it to a belt. It was a rotating "trophy" for a while. The problem with spray painting is the texture comes out poorly and uneven. Plastic is not a good "canvas" for spray paint. Frankly, it looks like garbage. Forget about throwing it, since that adds to reduced flight characteristics...and it's an illegal disc.

If you want to throw it, dye it black. I picked up a disc that had marker all over it that couldn't be removed. So I made small vinyl cutouts of a kanji tattoo I have around the disc, where the area was clean and unmarked. Dyed it black, removed the vinyl and now it looks like an inverted dye.

Last edited:
Illegal, yes.
Butt-ugly, check.
What was the question again??

This didn't work out so well for me. I tried it for the fun of it. The paint chipped/pealed off after 15 rounds. I ended up soaking it in paint remover to get all the paint off.

Dye is the only way to go.

I once found a pine needle green beast spray painted dead pine needle yellow. I hated the way it felt and the way it threw. The paint also cracked and chipped off giving it a camo look causing it to blend in perfectly on the ground in the woods making it very difficult to find.

I could never figure out what it's previous owner was thinking. It didn't have a name or number on it and I still have it.

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but why are people saying that spraypainting will make the disk illegal or change it's flight characteristics? Isn't "detectable thickness" the test? I have spraypainted discs before in order to be able to find them. I haven't noticed any change in flight characteristics.

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but why are people saying that spraypainting will make the disk illegal or change it's flight characteristics? Isn't "detectable thickness" the test? I have spraypainted discs before in order to be able to find them. I haven't noticed any change in flight characteristics.

The PDGA rules for a legal disc usable in sanctioned tournies cannot have any substance of "detectable thickness" like paint or stickers. This was added years ago to prevent people from painting a disc and making it overweight. Ink and Dye are OK.

The PDGA rules for a legal disc usable in sanctioned tournies cannot have any substance of "detectable thickness" like paint or stickers. This was added years ago to prevent people from painting a disc and making it overweight. Ink and Dye are OK.

Then it should change its rule to match your characterization of it:

"Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal."

This doesn't prohibit paint. It prohibits paint "of detectable thickness." Indeed, the way it is written implies that paint can be used. Otherwise the rule would have simply prohibited paint "and other material of detectable thickness."

I frequently use Sharpie paint pens to mark on the underside of the discs and to draw distinguishing marks in the topside of the discs. This works very well with Vibram discs and does not change their flight or add significant weight.

Have you thought about the spray paint dye for t-shirts. I haven't searched the dyers forum but I believe there was a thread awhile back about the spray paint dye and using them on discs.