• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

St. Louis Open - A tier - April 30 - May 1st

Fatbackbob

Birdie Member
Why can't I find any info for this event?

Anyone here going? Order of play for courses? Course descriptions? Layouts?

Pools based on divisions?

A few intermediates and advanced from Memphis are considering coming up...

here's the link to the flyer on the club website.

http://stlouisdiscgolfclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1349&start=0

poke around on there a bit and you can probably find out just about everything you need to know...I do know that final pool assignments won't be out until this Monday though.

edit:

looks like the pools will probably look like this, according to Chris:

The pools will be the same as last year but we are weighing whether to combine Pros with Adv Masters and Grandmasters or with All Women Divisions or with B pool. The final pool assignments will be finalized by Monday. Hopefully we will have a better understanding of the numbers.

-------------------------------------------Sat --------------------------------- Sun

A) Open and Pros 72 – Sioux Passage / Rock Spring -------- Endicott / Creve Coeur

B) Advanced Men 72 – Rock Spring / Sioux Passage ------- Creve Coeur / Endicott

C) Intermediate Men 72 – Creve Coeur / Endicott ------- Sioux Passage / Rock Spring

D) All Other Divisions 72 – Endicott / Creve Coeur ------- Rock Spring / Sioux Passage

BTW, Advanced Men means MA1 only.

Last edited:
The St. Louis scene has a tendency to implode on itself every six or seven years. It's doing it right now. Long story, but there is a large undeveloped piece of property by the airport in Bridgeton that they were moving forward with as a 27-hole disc golf course. They were so far into the process that they had played fundraising events on the proposed course. Come to find out a second course design was taken to the City of Bridgeton behind the Clubs back by the Club President and local course designer, which started a flurry of finger pointing and name calling. All of that got the Club thrown out by the City, so the whole project is in jeopardy. People are getting mad, yelling and cursing at each other, quitting the Club...all of those fun things that happen when a Club melts down.

All of that infighting and drama seems to have distracted them from promoting the Open. No promotion=no attention. There were still a lot of shirts left to give the full players pack to Ams after the Am registration deadline, but that word never seemed to get out.

Having said that, I've been to events where the local club was fighting and the events were fine. So long as the TD can pull a few people together, they can pull off the tournament and somebody from out of town wouldn't even know about the dirty laundry unless they get stuck on a card with a local who complains about it all round long.

they just posted final pool assignments on the website.

A) Open, Pros, and all Women's Divisions 72 – Sioux Passage / Rock Spring -------- Endicott / Creve Coeur CURRENTLY 23

B) Advanced Men 72 – Rock Spring / Sioux Passage ------- Creve Coeur / Endicott CURRENTLY 52

C) Intermediate Men 72 – Creve Coeur / Endicott ------- Sioux Passage / Rock Spring CURRENTLY 35

D) Adv Masters, Grandmasters, Seniors, Rec, and Novice 72 – Endicott / Creve Coeur ------- Rock Spring / Sioux Passage CURRENTLY 44

I know about it every year, but it's right around a local B tier. I always choose to support my local club at the B-tier. /sigh I've wanted to play there though. Couldn't make both, as they're both on the 1st.

Does anyone know if the ADV pool will play the red or blue tees that are shown in the review page for Rockspring?

Blues look extremely tough!!

Okay and white, red, or blues on CREVE?

My god- that course looks like it has little to no obstacles. Just boom all over the place. I'm not packing the 500 foot cannon. I might get killed on that course...

Does anyone know if the ADV pool will play the red or blue tees that are shown in the review page for Rockspring?

Blues look extremely tough!!

almost certainly the red tees @ rockspring, and as far as i know there is only one set of tees @ creve.

edit: i have nothing to do with the Atier, other than being a local club member- just going off my knowledge of the courses and other tourneys held @ these courses.

My god- (creve) looks like it has little to no obstacles. Just boom all over the place. I'm not packing the 500 foot cannon. I might get killed on that course...

creve is a super-long, flat, relatively open course, but it does require at least a modicum of proficiency at 'landing zone golf' to set yourself up for the highest percentage approaches and putts. they also use a bit of OB rope for some holes/layouts although i don't know if any will be employed for the Atier.

I'll be playing all four courses blind...

Along with three other guys from Memphis...

I'm playing Rock Springs blind, advanced division as well. No idea what the tees are, but we all have to play the same ones, so game on!

My god- that course looks like it has little to no obstacles. Just boom all over the place. I'm not packing the 500 foot cannon. I might get killed on that course...

Probably longs at Creve. I don't throw much over 400' myself, but as long as you're accurate you can still score well. The 'obstacles' don't look that bad just because the course is pretty open, and massive in size. There really are plenty of trees to F with you there.

You will enjoy rockspring a very fun finesse course with some distance thrown in. they have one set of concrete tees which will be used for all divisions. I believe Nikko holds the course record with a 41. CC is long with one set of tees. This course has enough trees as obstacles and of course the wind off the lake add to the challenge. Dont forget about Endicott and Sioux Passage, 2 of the best courses in the Lou.

yeah - the course review pages on CC and RS are the ones that left me asking questions...

The pages for SP and END FIRED me up for this trip. I have no idea how I'll shoot, but from pictures alone, those two courses look unbelievable.

Can't wait to play Endicott. The pictures for those fairways and layouts were the most impressive of all.

I was surprised after checking out the pages that the pros would finish on CC. If a gallery follows the lead card in open for the final round, it seems like you'd want them on beautiful SP or END. But then again, the open holes at CC will allow folks to see more and keep the gallery from being in the way.

Who knows...

I'm ready to get there...

From what I understand, the tournament is four rounds and over. No "official" final 9. They said they are going to play an optional skins game at Endicott? At least I think it is at Endicott.

well damnit, i should have paid more attention to this forum!

i was the guy spotting for everyone on hole 6 at rocksprings, so it looks like i missed a chance to meet a few more DGCR'rs! :(

This was my first tournament in St. louis and will probably be my last. For an A tier this seemed to be very cluster f at times.

1. The course directors told us all diff times for tee off on the second rd forcing us to speed like crazy to eat and get to the course to find out that we had plenty of time. Both days. On sunday we finished our 1st rd at 12:45 and was told we were teeing off at 1:15 and it took 20 min to get to 2nd course. and teed off at 2.

2. The payout seemed horrible.I was not in it but I have ran a lot of tourneys and 66 ADV players and 1st gets $100 seems like a slap in the face to a young man that played his ass off all weekend.
Seems kind of wrong. JMO

3. The TD was very rude! During the tournament if you asked him a question it was like we were asking him for a million dollars. After the tournament I asked if the player riding with me could get his voucher so we could leave on our 6 hr drive home because memphis was getting hammered and roads were closing due to flooding and was told O welll you gotta wait.

Ill stop now there were many more things I could say but those are enough.

not mad but disappointed

Worst PDGA tourney I have been to.

^^^^^ This...

But I enjoyed meeting everyone I played with. VictorB - Thanks for the help before the event and it was good to play a couple rounds with you.

Just unfortunate that the TD seemed so disinterested in being there. The only time I saw him smile was when he was groveling for club memberships or trying to hock tickets for the Finals raffle.

He chose not to promote the event on here or the PDGA forums. I've only been to 5-6 A Tiers, but from Texas to Kentucky to Missouri, this was certainly the worst one I've attended.

Players and courses were great though - I feel the need to reiterate that...

This was my first tournament in St. louis and will probably be my last. For an A tier this seemed to be very cluster f at times.

1. The course directors told us all diff times for tee off on the second rd forcing us to speed like crazy to eat and get to the course to find out that we had plenty of time. Both days. On sunday we finished our 1st rd at 12:45 and was told we were teeing off at 1:15 and it took 20 min to get to 2nd course. and teed off at 2.

2. The payout seemed horrible.I was not in it but I have ran a lot of tourneys and 66 ADV players and 1st gets $100 seems like a slap in the face to a young man that played his ass off all weekend.
Seems kind of wrong. JMO

3. The TD was very rude! During the tournament if you asked him a question it was like we were asking him for a million dollars. After the tournament I asked if the player riding with me could get his voucher so we could leave on our 6 hr drive home because memphis was getting hammered and roads were closing due to flooding and was told O welll you gotta wait.

Ill stop now there were many more things I could say but those are enough.

not mad but disappointed

Worst PDGA tourney I have been to.

I'd have to say I'm in agreement on all 3 points here. I thought our B-Tier event in July was a little chaotic but it runs like clockwork when compared to this one. Disclaimer: This was the 6th StL Open, and we're going into our 27th year at Mid-Am.

My wife and I stood around for nearly 2 hours after all rounds were completed waiting for her $20 voucher which was nearly impossible for her to spend just because there simply wasn't anything there that she throws, or wasn't in the correct weight. Lucky for us, some of the Lakers that were volunteering helped us out so we could leave without waiting another 30-45 minutes for the ONE person they had processing vouchers. We had a pretty short drive home, but didn't get back till about 915pm.

Of course, this was all after the fact that the TD moved up the 2 girls (my wife included) in intermediate to advanced a day early, and proceeded to tell a girl that wanted to sign up for INT on Saturday that there would be no woman's intermediate...

I played fairly mediocre for myself, but enjoyed getting to play a couple rounds with a fellow dgcr poster Fatbackbob.

Last edited:

Latest posts