• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stable vs Unstable

asu225

Par Member
I have never had a good understanding of these two terms, can someone please post a good definition for each?

Also, here are my and drivers and mids, which discs would be considered overstable?

Thanks

Drivers
170g Viking
171g Valk
172g Monarch
172g Vulcan
173g Avenger SS
174g Crush
175g Teebird

Mids
148g Stingray
168g Panther
175g Roc
180g Coyote

Understable is when your discs want to stay in the air longer, and turn to the right before they fade (if they fade at all). Overstable discs cut towards the left harder.

Also, here are my and drivers and mids, which discs would be considered overstable?

Thanks

Drivers
170g Viking
171g Valk
172g Monarch
172g Vulcan
173g Avenger SS
174g Crush
175g Teebird
For drivers, it depends how far you're throwing. If you aren't getting them up to speed, then all of them will act overstable. If you throw them like you are supposed to, then the Valk, Monarch, AvengerSS and Vulcan should be understable. The others should be overstable.

Mids
148g Stingray
168g Panther
175g Roc
180g Coyote

For mids, the Roc should be overstable, the Coyote should be stable, and the others should be understable.

Here's how I think of it. The stable to over stable discs want to go left(RHBH) and get to the ground as quickly as possible. The less stable discs will tend to go straighter or 'turn' right when thrown flat or smooth. That's a very simplistic, simple explanation. I am sure someone will give you a more scientific explanation if you need it. Your Stingray should be pretty under stable. Your Teebird, Viking and Crush would be stable to over stable. The others all fall at various points along the stable and under stable path. Check out a chart like Marshall Street's or Joe's and compare their ratings.

Understable is when your discs want to stay in the air longer, and turn to the right before they fade (if they fade at all). Overstable discs cut towards the left harder.

Reverse the lefts and rights, he's a lefty. :gross:

Thanks for the pointers guys. First of all, I'm very much just a decent rec player. I'm sure my technique is flawed and I basically muscle all my drives without generating enough spin. The Monarch is pretty much my go-to disc for LHBH maxing out around 275-300 and when I need something to turn left, I throw the Viking LHFH maxing out around 250-275. I'll mix in the other discs from time to time for practice but I usually stick with those two disc.

For my mids, I throw ALL LHBH and predominantly with the Roc. My Stingray is very old and beat and I can get it to turn left for me. Every other throw I use the Roc, seldom throwing the Panther or Coyote.

Last edited:
ok as both the Op & I throw LHBH can someone post a pic to what the lines would look like for each disc thrown at the same speed, angle(lets say flat?), spin , & release point?

also I assume that is what the #'s on innovas discs are for...(i have all innova except my Z Buzzzz)... I understand glide 100%... The rest is kinda mystery still

sean

Sean, we should get together and I can show you but all discs thrown at the same speed is not productive. Each disc has what we would call its required or optimum speed (depending on how you look at it) for the disc to fly as designed.

This:
http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

Does not give you a drawing per disc but explains well if you read through the left hand side and bottom. Examples of disc flight for some discs specifically can be found at Innova's website here:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/disc-comparison.html

Click on a disc name, then at the bottom of the screen for that disc, click on the More Information tab

There is more to it than just that simply, but if we can't teach you guys just the basics here, I think it is a problem for the veterans that have been around.

I have never had a good understanding of these two terms, can someone please post a good definition for each?

Thanks

Drivers
170g Viking
171g Valk
172g Monarch
172g Vulcan
173g Avenger SS
174g Crush
175g Teebird

Mids
148g Stingray
168g Panther
175g Roc
180g Coyote

Still trying to decide if this is a troll...

For a RHBH player:

More stable discs will fade harder to the left and are more resistant to high-speed turn.

Less stable discs will fade less and are easier to turn right at speed.

<-overstable-stable-understable-> for rhbh
visualize that as the way a disc flies

I think "stable" isn't a good term to use for something that will fly neutrally as in it's not going to flip over easily and also its not going to hook hard at the end. People assume that when someone says a disc is "stable" that they automatically mean its overstable, not true.
What I mean is that if a disc is flight stable you can put it on a hyzer line and it'll hold the hyzer, if you throw it level it'll go dead straight and if you throw it anhyzer it'll hold the anhyzer line.
Overstable and understable are the extremes on either end of the spectrum.

Also take into account that by either throwing the disc slower or faster than it's designed for will change it's flight characteristics.

so in theory if you release a stable disc flat & straight at "its" proper speed... It'll go straight...

if you want an overstable disc to land strainght in front of you throwing '$#$ you would have to throw to the left? As it will come back to the right? & to a left for an understable disc?...

I know that's probably way over simplified but is that the way it would go throwing flat?

so in theory if you release a stable disc flat & straight at "its" proper speed... It'll go straight...

if you want an overstable disc to land strainght in front of you throwing '$#$ you would have to throw to the left? As it will come back to the right? & to a left for an understable disc?...

I know that's probably way over simplified but is that the way it would go throwing flat?

Yes, pretty much.