• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stance Quesrion: No Nearer to the Basket

rowdyray

So I am pretty clear about the point of support directly behind your lie and have no problem with that. However, what about your other foot? It says that you can't be nearer to the basket. I understand that I can't put my lie foot behind the disc or mini and the other foot in front of it. But what if I'm stepping out wide from behind a tree for a better angle. Does nearer the basket work that way too? In other words. I have a big dogleg right so the basket is far right and I am behind a tree. I could step out left (definitely farther from the basket) but could I step right as long as I'm still behind my disc?

Think of a circle surrounding the basket at a distance the same as your lie. None of your supporting points may cross the line of that circle.

So I am pretty clear about the point of support directly behind your lie and have no problem with that. However, what about your other foot? It says that you can't be nearer to the basket. I understand that I can't put my lie foot behind the disc or mini and the other foot in front of it. But what if I'm stepping out wide from behind a tree for a better angle. Does nearer the basket work that way too? In other words. I have a big dogleg right so the basket is far right and I am behind a tree. I could step out left (definitely farther from the basket) but could I step right as long as I'm still behind my disc?

Uh, the basket is never "far right" from your lie. The basket is always directly in line with the 30 cm line behind the marker. (If no mando.) Forget how the fairway got you to this point, or where the tee was. Align your universe with the line from the target to your marker and back.

If you straddle your other foot out to the side and not behind, that foot cannot be closer to the hole than your disc or mini is. It cannot be past perpendicular to your other foot.

One thing that most people seem to miss is that the line of play is a straight line from the basket to your disc, no matter what the shape of the fairway is. The line of play is not necessarily your intended line of flight. There are scenarios on dogleg holes where your stance might look funny but is actually legal. Draw a line through the woods to the basket, draw a perpendicular to that line; anything behind it is fine as long as one foot stays on the lie, no matter which direction you throw the disc.

(technically, you shouldn't draw a perpendicular -- you should draw an arc. But after you get more than a few feet away from the basket, the difference between your allowable foot position on an arc vs perpendicular is smaller than you can really judge.)

(And there's an exception to the above rule for mandos. If you haven't passed the mando yet, and the line from your disc to the basket passes on the wrong side of the mando, you need to redraw the line of play as a line from your disc to the mando and treat the mando as the new "target" for your stance.)

If you straddle your other foot out to the side and not behind, that foot cannot be closer to the hole than your disc or mini is. It cannot be past perpendicular to your other foot.

Your first sentence is good, but that second part is not quite true. Your lie is 30cm behind your disc/mini. You can have your foot near the rear of that space and have other foot in front of that one but still an appropriate distance (i.e. behind the rear edge of the mini) from the basket.

I'm guessing somewhere someone has already mentioned such, and not to be a thread-jacker but in reading this one it just dawned on me that there MIGHT be a way to HELP 'solve the problem' of foot-faults (besides all the already-stated (in other threads) 'solutions').
Probably needs a separate thread.

You MUST have contact with your mini or previously-thrown disc upon release of the next shot and (maybe or maybe not..) not be closer to the hole, blah, blah, blah).

Yes, it'll dirty up our minis and discs a bit more but so what; we throw them into trees...I doubt they'll care much.

Interesting anyway....

Interesting, but people are just going to wipe out if they have to step on them.

Aw, such a nay-sayer ;) . Could always make textured minis or have them nailed to the ground! Would make it a LOT easier to see if a FF occurred and would make a whole lot easier ANY issue with lie, line of play, etc.

This is not entirely true. It's not a perpendicular line. It's a circle that surrounds the basket. At most distances it seems like a perpendicular line but the closer you get to the basket the more the curve is noticeable. To the point of being legal to straddle the entire basket if your lie is at the base of the pole you could put your other supporting point on the opposite side of the basket if it was farther away then your lie.

Last edited:

See the second attachment (right) below. Although a different scenario, it should help you out with understanding what you can do.

Check out this attachment (left) below.

As pointed out, not exactly correct -- but it shouldn't ever be a foot fault if you set up a putting situation that way and never move the feet when putting. I have attached a pic that I've used before to demonstrate what we're talking about here.

Attachments

• MY Stance chart.jpg
    MY Stance chart.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 70
  • line of play - foot fault.jpg
    line of play - foot fault.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 212

Your first sentence is good, but that second part is not quite true. Your lie is 30cm behind your disc/mini. You can have your foot near the rear of that space and have other foot in front of that one but still an appropriate distance (i.e. behind the rear edge of the mini) from the basket.

This is not entirely true. It's not a perpendicular line. It's a circle that surrounds the basket. At most distances it seems like a perpendicular line but the closer you get to the basket the more the curve is noticeable. To the point of being legal to straddle the entire basket if your lie is at the base of the pole you could put your other supporting point on the opposite side of the basket if it was farther away then your lie.

basically was gonna post ken's response. However, a less debatable way to go about it would be to try and not have your off foot past your mini. Im not really sure how far you would need to be to have your off foot be legal in front of your mini, but just the fact the its super debatable and not very clear for other players to understand, Id just avoid it, unless it was too advantageous to pass up.

...Im not really sure how far you would need to be to have your off foot be legal in front of your mini,..

I'm sure I'll regret posting this:

Code:
Feet     Inches Beyond 
from     Perpendicular for a  
Target   3 Foot Wide Stance
2            27
3            18
4            13
5            10
6             9
7             7
9             6
10            5
13            4
18            3
26            2
33            1

attachment.php

Attachments

• stance.png
    stance.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 137
I'm sure I'll regret posting this:

Code:
Feet     Inches Beyond 
from     Perpendicular for a  
Target   3 Foot Wide Stance
2            27
3            18
4            13
5            10
6             9
7             7
9             6
10            5
13            4
18            3
26            2
33            1

attachment.php

Personally I like it, especially the pics.

Whenever my disc is under the basket (literally), I like to do a putt I call the "Shaquille O'Neal".

I still maintain that the "imaginary line" does not mean it's an "imaginary Euclidean straight line" until actually further specified as so in the PDGA rule book. The geometry of throwing from that lop and making a foot fault call is just too weird.
attachment.php