• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stance Quesrion: No Nearer to the Basket

Honestly, in twenty years of playing disc golf, I've never seen this called. I would imagine that intent matters. If your intent is to cheat, and gain an advantage, well, you're probably going to find a way to fudge around your lie, and probably will succeed. If your intent is honest, and you make a small mistake, because of the nature of our lie and the player's relationship to that lie, not much is going to get said. For the OCD, and the rules sticklers this is going to raise much concern about nothing. For the rational, unless the player is really horking on their cheating, it won't matter.

I still maintain that the "imaginary line" does not mean it's an "imaginary Euclidean straight line" until actually further specified as so in the PDGA rule book. The geometry of throwing from that lop and making a foot fault call is just too weird.

You can have a Curved line between two points.

It's the imaginary equation of the imaginary line.

It's literally already there.

So then, by your philosophy of "we can allow 'curved lines'," the player could throw from the white star because he's actually behind and "in line" with the marker??? Huh?

Attachments

• line of play - foot fault - WRONG.jpg
    line of play - foot fault - WRONG.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 132
Honestly, in twenty years of playing disc golf, I've never seen this called. I would imagine that intent matters. If your intent is to cheat, and gain an advantage, well, you're probably going to find a way to fudge around your lie, and probably will succeed. If your intent is honest, and you make a small mistake, because of the nature of our lie and the player's relationship to that lie, not much is going to get said. For the OCD, and the rules sticklers this is going to raise much concern about nothing. For the rational, unless the player is really horking on their cheating, it won't matter.

Oh, it matters. You should see how badly some players make their next fairway drive after realizing they need to worry about hitting their lie for a change.

So then, by your philosophy of "we can allow 'curved lines'," the player could throw from the white star because he's actually behind and "in line" with the marker??? Huh?
That's definitely not within 30cm of the marker. Or even in the direction of the throw.

I was thinking that something like a small hula hoop or stringy circle would be the best fairway marker and would be required to use it outside the 10m putting circle. You would be able to put the hula hoop or string down any way as long as the disc is inside the hoop/string. You also must keep one foot inside the hoop/sting well past the release - no close calls. You can jump from inside the hoop/string, but must also land the same foot in it.

Inside the putting circle would still be the same mini marker.

In SW22's dogleg example, it would be (at best) contentious to call a violation if the basket can't be seen from the lie.

That's definitely not within 30cm of the marker. Or even in the direction of the throw.

Then I (we) can't seem to understand what you're getting at. Do you measure the 30 cm along a straight line or a "curved line"?

What was your point in posts #16, #18 etc. ? Illustration please?

Ever dip into one of those threads where people are arguing like 3 different points at the same time and not realizing they're not talking about exactly the same point?

Then I (we) can't seem to understand what you're getting at. Do you measure the 30 cm along a straight line or a "curved line"?

What was your point in posts #16, #18 etc. ? Illustration please?
Within a 30cm circle from the marker and straight inline throwing in the flight line of play or apex/curve of the shot. Basically your first illustration with the FLOP and the black star as the lie.
See the second attachment (right) below. Although a different scenario, it should help you out with understanding what you can do.
attachment.php

Your illustration below makes no sense whatsoever. The white star as the lie - where you said to throw from, is next to the basket - some hundred or more feet from the marker disc. That is nowhere near the marker disc within 30cm or behind it in the direction of your throwing line(unless you are throwing back to the tee, but that's still not within 30cm of the marker disc.)
attachment.php

If you like to follow through on your putts inside the circle you need to be disciplined on making sure your off foot doesn't pass. Not that you'll see many people do tiny jump-putts inside the circle (unless you play with me) but it's something you could see more of in the future, especially if they widen the circle out to 60m or something.

Within a 30cm circle from the marker and straight inline throwing in the flight line of play or apex/curve of the shot. Basically your first illustration with the FLOP and the black star as the lie.

Ahh, I see now. You want to redefine what "within 30 cm of the marker" is and what "on the line of play" is -- specifically, you think LOP could be in the direction you're throwing rather than (or, possibly in addition to?) the current definition. In other words similar to the "in the vicinity" un-written rule in baseball on double plays at second base.

Your illustration below makes no sense whatsoever. The white star as the lie - where you said to throw from, is next to the basket - some hundred or more feet from the marker disc. That is nowhere near the marker disc within 30cm or behind it in the direction of your throwing line(unless you are throwing back to the tee, but that's still not within 30cm of the marker disc.)

yes, it made no sense -- intentionally. I though you were trying to say that all curved lines to the basket might be OK. And yes, it doesn't make sense, so that shouldn't be the rule.

Ever dip into one of those threads where people are arguing like 3 different points at the same time and not realizing they're not talking about exactly the same point?

Yep. Many times. That's why I ask for an explanation or clarification -- whenever I'm not understanding the other's point clearly.

Oh, it matters. You should see how badly some players make their next fairway drive after realizing they need to worry about hitting their lie for a change.

What Steve said.

Latest posts