• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Standstill Pro Analysis - Lykke vs Paige Pierce, Bradley Williams vs Corey Ellis and Kristian Kuoksa

I usually only do standstills with putters during my fieldwork warmup progression but this thread got me curious about what I could do with a driver, so I threw a few today. They were all around 500' but this was the best one, over 520 on a golf height medium s-curve line. Video analysis shows that the release was around 68.5 mph.
Also sorry about the glitchy looking slowmo, I had to ai frame interpolate from 60fps recording up to 120 to get the 4x slowmo and it struggles with fast moving objects.

Nice throw. Wow.

It looks like you're swinging back as you shift back, then you're pretty fully coiled before you shift forward? That isn't the way I've been trying to do it but it seems to work for you.

Nice throw. Wow.

It looks like you're swinging back as you shift back, then you're pretty fully coiled before you shift forward? That isn't the way I've been trying to do it but it seems to work for you.
Thank you!
I'm not sure if how I'm doing it is the generally recommended way or not, @sidewinder22 should have an answer for you there. I think I originally attempted to somewhat copy Schusterick's stand throw form back when I started playing back in 2012 ish and never changed it much since then. Here's a vid of him from around then for example:

Long ago I watched a video that I think was loopghost, who described three approaches to the coil in standstill and gave some examples. He showed some people shifting back then coiling on the shift forward, some shifting and coiling back, some not coiling until the forward shift. IIRC. Wish I could find that one. It seems that loopghost, sidewinder, and several others (Michael Strauss for example) agre on the coil occurng with the lateral move forward, so that's what I try to do.

Long ago I watched a video that I think was loopghost, who described three approaches to the coil in standstill and gave some examples. He showed some people shifting back then coiling on the shift forward, some shifting and coiling back, some not coiling until the forward shift. IIRC. Wish I could find that one. It seems that loopghost, sidewinder, and several others (Michael Strauss for example) agre on the coil occurng with the lateral move forward, so that's what I try to do.
That makes sense, coiling while shifting forward should give the most natural elastic response because it passively leaves the disc behind like in an x-step which should help with timing. Probably one of those things that will vary a little bit from individual to individual as well.

I do think there are some relative differences in those pro examples, and at one point Sidewinder also shared a video with me talking about optimal hip/upper body separation some time ago. Something I hope we get more study on in the future.

Latest posts