• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Plastic

It's my opinion that Star has much better glide than Champ. I'll agree that Pro and DX have better glide than Star. If I remember correctly, Innova lists Pro with the most glide followed by DX then Star, with Champ bringing up the rear. I tend to agree with this. As for durability, not so much nicks and scratches, but maintaining flight qualities, Champ seems the most durable to me, with Star a close second.

I'm not seeing that with Star. I think it has the least glide of Innova plastics. Oh well.

I dropped Star altogether for Champion awhile back. I play on mountain courses which are very rocky, and Champion holds up really well.

Some Star plastic is slick, and some is very rigid. Innova would be wise to upgrade Star to something more along the lines of Lat 64's Goldline, instead of just a harder but still cheap plastic.

The only 2 discs in Star plastic that I liked were the Roadrunner and Mako.

I generally prefer star to the other plastics, all things considered, but it really depends on the mold. Seems like certain discs are just "better" in terms of consistent flight etc. in one plastic and not the others.

I like the wide-rimmed drivers in Star, I mean how can you not like to pull a "Star Destroyer" out of the bag (cue Darth Vader theme.) I like those drivers to wear in, season, but not too fast, like DX fast. Star drivers will season in and add glide, whereas Champ drivers are less glidey for me in general, and seem to never get glidey. So, I love my Champ Rhyno for those shots (approaches,) because it never glides, ever, and is perfect for when blowing by the basket is unthinkable (actually, I also have a beat up Star Rhyno, the oldest disc I've got.) Ditto my flatflat Firebird, since the shots I use it for are the most abusive, and require it to stay mad overstable.

Most of my mids are champ (or equivalent). They take the biggest beating in my bag, and I like them to retain the flight characteristics longer...but all of them, including a new RC3, are much more 'candy' or 'gummy' than what I think of as "traditional" champ.

Star's not great when wet, but I think better than champ. I find the champ discs are tough to keep dry, especially the non-gummy, middle generation champ. It's like the water just smears on the surface.

Not a fan of Pro plastic, except for an R-pro and Yeti-pro Aviar that I use for all my 'throw-putter' duties. I like the tacky feel of pro, but it wears off almost immediately, and the drivers always feel like they're coming apart in my hand or something.

I found a 2 year old Star Vulcan among some discarded discs. What garbage! A hard, oily piece of junk. Good riddance!

I throw Star Valks and have no problem with the grip and the glide is ok for premium plastic. Ive been wanting to try a Star Beast but not sure how it would compare to a Champ Beast (new mold).

I throw champ Valks and champ Beasts, Beast is actually a little dicier in the wind for me.

The champ Valk I have is a 158g, pretty flat, somewhat high PLH, VERY straight, superb glide...I'm using it as a longer control driver.

It happens to be a newer plus mold, which I'm not too thrilled about, but it flies great and I seem to have no problem throwing it very consistently.