• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

adriens95 Bag Thread

A Disc with similar flight though more forward fade at end of a dump on flight is a Stalker. A Stalker, most runs in Z can fight wind better then a Hawkeye or similar nearly neutral disc like a TL but still has that nearly neutral flight on disc.
Thanks for the rec! It's too bad Stalkers have that nasty microbead 🤮

As I do another annual bag refresh/blowup, I've been reflecting on when I last felt really settled on my bag (the beginning of this thread, late 2021 - early 2022) and the changes in my core molds since then. Some of the changes are from preference shifts or wanting to try new stuff, many from the development of my forehand game and favoring molds that feel more comfortable, and some from changing home courses about a year ago and the different shot shapes I need.

Some of the changes have been simple swaps, but some have left questions to answer still. For fun, the old core is on the left and replacements on the right.

Wizard = Wizard
Scale -> Berg
A3 -> Zone
Buzzz -> Hex + Reactor
Comet -> Svea? (also kinda Hex)
Firebird = Firebird
Undertaker -> Orion LF
Jackalope -> Crave + Roadrunner, and maybe now Hawkeye + Roadrunner

The Comet and Jackalope shifts are the ones that have been the biggest shakeups/hardest to settle on replacements. Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just put them back in the bag and call it a day, but I also think I don't reach for my understable molds as much anymore.

On the other hand, OLFs and MVP mids have been a revelation. I'm planning to do more fieldwork this year than in the past to hopefully get things nailed down, but I think my strategy needs to be slots over discs so that I can tinker within the structure better.

As I do another annual bag refresh/blowup, I've been reflecting on when I last felt really settled on my bag (the beginning of this thread, late 2021 - early 2022) and the changes in my core molds since then. Some of the changes are from preference shifts or wanting to try new stuff, many from the development of my forehand game and favoring molds that feel more comfortable, and some from changing home courses about a year ago and the different shot shapes I need.

Some of the changes have been simple swaps, but some have left questions to answer still. For fun, the old core is on the left and replacements on the right.

Wizard = Wizard
Scale -> Berg
A3 -> Zone
Buzzz -> Hex + Reactor
Comet -> Svea? (also kinda Hex)
Firebird = Firebird
Undertaker -> Orion LF
Jackalope -> Crave + Roadrunner, and maybe now Hawkeye + Roadrunner

The Comet and Jackalope shifts are the ones that have been the biggest shakeups/hardest to settle on replacements. Maybe I'm overthinking it and should just put them back in the bag and call it a day, but I also think I don't reach for my understable molds as much anymore.

On the other hand, OLFs and MVP mids have been a revelation. I'm planning to do more fieldwork this year than in the past to hopefully get things nailed down, but I think my strategy needs to be slots over discs so that I can tinker within the structure better.
I think Slots over speed and stability. I did this in beginning until I stopped playing from 2009 to 2015 and stopped for a bit from 2015/2016 until 2018 looking more at speed and stability. Ever since 2018 I go by slot more then speed and stability.

Since 2018--2019 I realized I have other then putting putters 2 or more uses for a disc or I take out mold/disc in specific plastic and if I can't find more then one use for a mold I remove disc from bag, how my 2007 ESP XL got removed as where I use Stalker mainly with XL for really high winds only is besides fact mold is oop and I have no backup discs not even one which I would prefer a minimum of 3 backup. Even my midrange where I use a Shark 3 has at minimum a 2 uses for disc, first is for standard midrange and for some more windy approach shots where a higher/regular dome Star Shark is used normally unless I need a straight flying disc but Shark 3 is used for approach when high winds would catch a higher dome disc.

Last edited:
Played a super windy round (at least for Georgia) at Oregon Park yesterday and shot decent but the putting stroke was off. Got to test some of the new molds I've acquired recently and several seem like winners.

Wizards x 3 (flippy one unthrown)
Glitch (unthrown)
Berg
Zone
Tarpit Firm Stego (new) - this thing is hilarious and awesome, definitely making the bag at least in the woods

Reactors x2 (Neutron, Fission)
Hex (Unthrown) - Fission Reactor filled this slot in the wind
Concrete Anubis (new) - flew kinda like a beefy Z Comet/Mako3 kinda deal. Mainly threw hyzers that could have been a Hex so likely not a top candidate for this slot over Svea/Fuse/Comet

Sexton FB
Champ Thunderbird (new) - handles wind like a champ
Orion LF x2 (SOF, 1.4 MOLF)
Star RR
Sublime Grackle (new) - needs more air time but was nice and stable and forehands well
Eternal Jackalope (new) - too windy to really throw it but the one shot it had a nice turn and finish

Last edited:
Field work has been thwarted this week with how wet it's been so in lieu of getting better I traded in some old discs at PIAS and walked out with an uninked 1.7 SOLF in this awesome highlighter yellow color and a lightly used proto Stego (plus some leftover store credit).

They surprisingly had a bunch of Comets and I almost walked out with one. I'm leaning pretty heavily toward putting Comets back in the bag for simplicity/comfort's sake but we'll give it a little more testing in the field to be sure. The Svea is probably the closest to dethroning it while the Lobster is the one I want to like the most (but don't).

Attachments

• IMG_5828.jpeg
    IMG_5828.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Field work has been thwarted this week with how wet it's been so in lieu of getting better I traded in some old discs at PIAS and walked out with an uninked 1.7 SOLF in this awesome highlighter yellow color and a lightly used proto Stego (plus some leftover store credit).

They surprisingly had a bunch of Comets and I almost walked out with one. I'm leaning pretty heavily toward putting Comets back in the bag for simplicity/comfort's sake but we'll give it a little more testing in the field to be sure. The Svea is probably the closest to dethroning it while the Lobster is the one I want to like the most (but don't).
Love the Comets.

Thanks to isamoor I now have 3 new (to me) Comets so I'm going to lock them down as my US mid mold of choice for now. The disc I compare all others to deserves to ride once again. One bag slot down, a few more to go.

Thanks to isamoor I now have 3 new (to me) Comets so I'm going to lock them down as my US mid mold of choice for now. The disc I compare all others to deserves to ride once again. One bag slot down, a few more to go.
For an OS midrange I would look at a versatile disc like a Lion sans color stamps for Star as a color stamp is slick and hard to remove or a Shark in G-Star as the only durable plastic or a standard production run as a DX Shark will basically become a Comet in wear over a quick period of time depending on runs of how plastic came out of molds.

For an OS midrange I would look at a versatile disc like a Lion sans color stamps for Star as a color stamp is slick and hard to remove or a Shark in G-Star as the only durable plastic or a standard production run as a DX Shark will basically become a Comet in wear over a quick period of time depending on runs of how plastic came out of molds.
I'm actually pretty solid on my midrange lineup! Quake for very OS, Reactor for workhorse OS aka the better Wasp, Hex for dead straight, and now Comets back again for hyzerflips to hit gaps and turnovers.

I could conceivably drop down to just Reactors and Comets but the Hex is just so versatile and comfy. I never liked throwing Comet forehand with any power, so the Hex at least has a slot as a more wind resistant Z Comet that I can flick.

Finally had both nice weather and a free lunch break so I played my local 9 hole and did some field work.

- Comets are BACK. My old flat ESP paired with a new to me flat Z are going to start out in the bag but they were all flying nice.

- Threw Wizards a lot more than I do at Deerfield/OP and I forgot just how controllable and sneaky long they are. I don't often throw the putter anhyzer line but practicing it today gave me more confidence to mix it in.

- Hawkeyes are firmly in the lead for hyzerflip fairway. So much glide. The Jackalope felt a little speed hungry and the Crave was just fine. The Leo3 felt noticeably slower than the Hawkeye which I didn't like.

- Not really a today update but in the spirit of getting back to my roots, the Scale is also back in the bag over the Berg. It may not be permanent but I like Scales more off the tee and Bergs maybe a little more for scrambling. Need to do some forehand practice with the Scale since that's the biggest advantage the Berg has for me.

- I hadn't thrown my Fission Reactor much since picking up the Neutron ones I've been bagging, but I think it's going to sneak into the bag. It overlaps less with a Z Comet than a Hex and is a lot straighter than my heavy Neutron ones even though it's also 175g. I eventually need to get more of them in Fission. The Hex will stay put for all but the most minimal setups for now.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty solid on my midrange lineup! Quake for very OS, Reactor for workhorse OS aka the better Wasp, Hex for dead straight, and now Comets back again for hyzerflips to hit gaps and turnovers.

I could conceivably drop down to just Reactors and Comets but the Hex is just so versatile and comfy. I never liked throwing Comet forehand with any power, so the Hex at least has a slot as a more wind resistant Z Comet that I can flick.
I understand, my dad had a hard time throwing a Comet forehand, so he never kept his disc and gave his to my mom/his wife who could throw an old X Comet amazing for her poor throw at the time. this was back when my parents played disc golf.

I am not sure if my moms disc is an old Elite X or an old early X.

Last edited: