• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star Starfire vs Star SL

Edgar Allan Bro

Bogey Member
Okay, I have looked into this multiple times and searched multiple times but am not really getting the exact answer I am desiring..

First:
I understand that it's been posted MANY times that the "dx starfire" and "champion starfire" are different molds than the "pro starfire" and that the "pro starfire" is an "SL"

My question that I keep getting mixed answers on is.... Is a "Star Starfire" a different mold then the "Star SL" or is it just a rename? Some people are saying that the "Star Starfire" is NOT the same mold as the "Star SL" and some people are saying it is.

-_-

Star Starfire is the "x" mold version with a curved rim and stable/overstable. The star SL is like a longer Eagle L or TL, with a flat rim and more understable. Both great discs IMO.

Tim S.

I own a DX Starfire and I lost my goto long placement driver Star SL. I MUCH preferred the feel and flight of the SL, so I would want to replace it with another "Star SL" and not "Star Starfire." gotcha. Thanks for the info!

You got it! The SL is a great control driver, and sneaky long too. It's my primary distance driver as I don't have the arm for anything much faster.

Tim S.

Some Starfire history: The CFRs (from 2005) and first run of the Pro Starfire used the Starfire (SF) mold, also known as the "original mold". It was between the current SL and SFX molds. Mold broke.

SL mold was used for the next Pro Starfire run and 95% of Pro Starfires are the SL mold. There was a small run of Pro Starfires made in the SFX mold (much like some other Innova "errors" like the Destrulcans). That run was a long time ago though. All current Pro Starfires should be the SL mold.

The DX, Champion, and Star Starfires are the overstable SFX mold.

The Star SL and Pro Starfire are the SL mold. They also make a CFR Champion SL, and I think they also made Ch. Glow SLs as well. The Champion SL was also one of the discs used for the Innova 2009 Merry Christmas discs (multiple molds were used, not just SL's but also Ch. Coyotes, etc.).

If you're curious about how to tell a Pro Starfire apart: 'SF' on back for original 2005 run and 'PSF' for all later runs, including the freak SFX run. You have to identify those by the rim.

I have a for sale thread, where some photos are up on flickr. Easier for me to link to it via mobile phone, so go to http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63265 and click on the flickr link. Discs 46-50 are SLs. 46 is original mold Pro, 47 the CFR SL, and some others. More info in the thread itself.

Last edited:
They only make the SL in Star and Pro.

Here is the Innova website link - http://www.innovadiscs.com/media/PDF/2012-driver-web.pdf

Tim S.

This is mostly true Tim. I have 3 Champ SL's that I purchased from the DGCR marketplace last year. 2 of them have the small circle star stamp (1st run maybe?) and the other one has the Merry Christmas 2009 stamp. They seem to be more overstable than the pro and star versions, but I'm sure that will change along the way. These discs were not cheap if I remember correctly.

The star SL is also my go-to driver. I typically have 4 or 5 different SL's and/or Pro Starfires in the bag for any given round. :thmbup:

xare thanks for the info! Quite informative!

Jasonc (or anyone else) have you noticed that SLs from different years fly differently or are they relatively all the same unlike certain other discs? -like I said, I lost my one and only ever tried StarSL that I fell in love with and I want to buy one and HOPE it flys the same but if that's sort of a far off hope then I could potentially look at something else (surge ss has been recommended as very similar?)

I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary between the different years, although I'm not really sure which ones were produced in any particular year.

Lately, I have been breaking in a new red star SL and it looks/feels like my current #1 star SL that has been in the bag for +/-3 years.

Also just picked up 2 "gently used" pro starfires from a local. They appear to be a few years old, but both feel like $$$$$. Can't wait to let 'em fly!

I'm gonna take a pic of my SL/pro starfire collection (10--15 maybe?) this weekend and post it here.

I'm gonna take a pic of my SL/pro starfire collection (10--15 maybe?) this weekend and post it here.

Do it! Do it! I love me some SLs! I prefer champion plastic for most discs, but the SL is certainly an exception to this. Most of the Star SLs I have seen are very flat, easy to hold, and easy to control for good distance. I have tried the champion SLs, and I think the flight path is similar but they don't glide as much. Maybe a lighter disc would glide more for me (I've only tried the champs in 170g and 175g), but the Star ones fly so nice and are easy to come by, so I stick with them.

Do it! Do it! I love me some SLs! I prefer champion plastic for most discs, but the SL is certainly an exception to this. Most of the Star SLs I have seen are very flat, easy to hold, and easy to control for good distance. I have tried the champion SLs, and I think the flight path is similar but they don't glide as much. Maybe a lighter disc would glide more for me (I've only tried the champs in 170g and 175g), but the Star ones fly so nice and are easy to come by, so I stick with them.

Why is it that I'm having the darndest time coming by a Non-inked, 7/10+, 167-169g Star SL at a reasonable price? People hate me :(

:p

Why is it that I'm having the darndest time coming by a Non-inked, 7/10+, 167-169g Star SL at a reasonable price? People hate me :(

:p

Because that's an incredibly narrow set of requirements. I never cared about ink, and as such, it was easy to find SLs. 167-169 is actually the hardest part of the equation. I preferred 172-175, and it's easier to find those weights.

Also, all SL's I've thrown in the same plastic have flown the same for me. Only comparable discs I found to the SL would be a beat DX Wraith (way more turn), Discwing's Quarter K (not the Quarter K II), and some Z Crush runs (the really flat topped ones).

A lot easier to just find SLs since they are in production, unloved by the masses, and if you eliminate some of your requirements, you can find them CHEAP.

So I have 21, which includes 1 star starfire...thought I had a couple more of those. I'll post a pic of em when I get back to a desktop.

I'm very happy to have found this thread, which prompted me to pull out the storage bin. I dug out a 1st run star stamp champ SL that I bought over the winter and forgot about it. :D:):D

So I have 21, which includes 1 star starfire...thought I had a couple more of those. I'll post a pic of em when I get back to a desktop.

I'm very happy to have found this thread, which prompted me to pull out the storage bin. I dug out a 1st run star stamp champ SL that I bought over the winter and forgot about it. :D:):D

I'm glad that my pain could bring you joy! :p

Because that's an incredibly narrow set of requirements. I never cared about ink, and as such, it was easy to find SLs. 167-169 is actually the hardest part of the equation. I preferred 172-175, and it's easier to find those weights.

Also, all SL's I've thrown in the same plastic have flown the same for me. Only comparable discs I found to the SL would be a beat DX Wraith (way more turn), Discwing's Quarter K (not the Quarter K II), and some Z Crush runs (the really flat topped ones).

A lot easier to just find SLs since they are in production, unloved by the masses, and if you eliminate some of your requirements, you can find them CHEAP.

Yea, I thought about eliminating the ink requirement since you cant typically see through star anyways. It's also why I refuse to buy a new one is because they are so underrated that I know I can get a great deal on a 7/10+. But I have noticed they are ALMOST ALWAYS 172-175.. -_-

SIDE NOTE: In y'alls opinions is trading a Star Wraith (12x) or Star FL (Not sure how I feel about mine since I haven't had much time with it) a fair trade? Are those discs undervalued as well?

OK, here is my collection. :)

Row 1, starting on the left side of the pic...from top to bottom.
Star SL
Star SL
Star SL--my go-to driver
Star Starfire

Row 2...all purchased from the DGCR marketplace ;)
Champ SL, small circle star stamp
Champ SL, small circle star stamp
Champ SL, merry christmas, 2009 stamp
Champ SL, 1st run star stamp

Row 3
6 Pro Starfires

Row 4
7 Champ Starfires...guess I should not have included these in my count of 21 from last night...oh well. I recorded my 1st ace with the red one in front. Then lost it twice! After it was returned to me the second time, I decided to retire it. This is the only disc I have retired so far.

Attachments

• SL--Starfires.jpg
    SL--Starfires.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 79
As someone said earlier, there are some champ sls with the champ starfire stamp

Love me some Starfire/SL talk. Great mold that I never see anyone outside me and my buddy throw. Here's my collection, and if you ever unload some of those sweet discs jasonc hit me up.

First row are Star SLs, second row are Champ SLs, third row are Pro Starfires, rainbow one is PSF mold, last row are all Champ Starfires, except my go-to driver in the back which is a 169 Star Starfire.

IMG00574-20120519-1143.jpg

I have had a rough time tracking down Starfires/SLs in lighter weights than 172, so that may be hard. I use my SLs more for tighter shots where I don't have the room for my usual s curve Starfire shot. SL for me will hold the line a little longer when thrown straight, and doesn't fade as quickly as some of my Starfires. I have also found that the mold is pretty inconsistent overall, but when you find the good ones it makes it that much better. I like the pearly Champ Starfires/SLs and Star natural beauty ones seem to be the best.

Note - The original SF mold didn't break. It was cancelled because it was too similar to the Old Mold Beast and Orc. Which is also why the Beast was retooled. I have one I snagged off of Steve Rico.

FirstRunSF.jpg

Jason and Northern, I'm totally jealous of those collections!

Star Shark, that's a pretty sweet disc.

As for me, however; I am proud to announce I hacked my way through more thorns and thick then you would believe if I told you, and found my disc today (after the third day going out in a row). :D

The path my friend and I cut out of the thorns took 3 minutes and 30 seconds to walk regularly--way longer to cut down (with permission, it's 90% thorns). I filmed it when I found it and filmed the path back and it took that long to walk out. There was no way in from the direction I threw on 15 so we had to go pretty far back to 10 and hack through thorns to get there haha.. it's ridiculous.. Here is my pride and joy even though a. the stamp is actually purple, and b. she's nothing special --except to me!

StarSL.jpg

I have 4 Star SL disc in my bag.

Two of them are ACE disc.

That's all I got to say about that.