• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star vs. Champion

Darth Anovin

Eagle Member
Before I get bashed about using the search feature, first let me jjust say that I already have and couldn't find what I'm looking for. Star vs. Champion plastic. Let's say you have both a Star Wraith and a Champion Wraith, both of them worn about the same. Under what conditions would you use the Star over the Champion and vice versea? I.e. wind, wetness, etc.

I personally throw Star when it is wet or cold because of its grippiness. Champion tends to handle a headwind better because it retains its stability longer than Star. I also throw Star over the water, because if I lose it, I dont really care.

It really depends because of so many different runs of each plastic. Generally, Champion=more stable, less grip, longer break in period,hard to grip in cold/wet weather. Star=easier break in, less stable, better grip, etc...

Champion is great on hot sunny days, Star is great all the time. Star has better grip in general, so I usually opt for Star plastic.

For some reason I throw champion for distance and star for accuracy.. I feel like thats just a mental thing for me though.

Between the Star Wraith and the Champ Wraith I would stick with the Champ. I used to throw Wraiths quite abit for High Hyzers and skip shots. I could control the Flip Up with the Champ Plastic easier since its more overstable. Recently I've been throwing more Star plastic because of grip in the Cold weather.

I also throw Star over the water, because if I lose it, I dont really care.

Why would you rather lose the more expensive of the two plastics?

Like everyone else has stated the star/esp has better grip for shots that require more control, and champion/Z serve better for hyzer shots or windy situations.

Champ is the only plastic durable enough to play with at Bidwell Park. Star get chunks and tears.

I don't own any star because I think it's the least grippy of all the plastics even though it's marketed as grippy, which I think is mostly theoretical. It may just be my skin but star slips right out of my grip and Champion really sticks to my hands well.

I don't own any star because I think it's the least grippy of all the plastics even though it's marketed as grippy, which I think is mostly theoretical. It may just be my skin but star slips right out of my grip and Champion really sticks to my hands well.

Weird!?!... that's the complete opposite for me. Champion slips out of my hand like a buttered down glass saucer while I prefer all of my LD drivers to be in Star plastic. Star plastic seems to = grippiness for me.

Hmmmm....:\

Star on a hot day = Grippy/Tacky
Star on a cold/damp day = Slippery and more firm

Champ = Same all the time IMO

Even my XG boss(ssoofftt in the summer) is like a brick in winter.:wall: My star discs do tend to harden up a little(they ALL do), but they are much more reliable and grippy in winter conditions.:thmbup: (After they are seasoned) New discs are slick as glass until broken in. IMO

Champion is prettier, and its a lot easier to dye. Ps. I love the stuff.

I dunno, a lot of star plastic has natural beauty, multiple color swirls and so on. Star dyes just as well as champ or better imo. Dyeing clear champ plastic is pretty hard to beat though, your opto Striker is sick. I like star more, it breaks in nicely and has better grip. If you're buying a light disc that you want to turnover out of the box id opt for champ cuz it'll hold its stability longer and won't become too flippy.

star seems for me to do what the ratings say it will do, whereas champ seems to always be nmore overstable. If I want a champ disc to do the same thing as a star disc I have to have the champ about ten grams lighter to make them work the same.

Champion plastic is a harder plastic therefore it is more durable.....it gets this quality on a molecular level.....the molecules are tighter together thus much denser...this makes for a harder surface (think diamonds being condensed from carbon) For this reason Champ is best suited for heavily wooded courses that require a disc that can take a tree beating.

This also explains the slicker glass like surface as your hand is less likely to be able to hold onto those tightly gathered molecules....think holding a pice of diamond vs a piece of carbon. So Champ is gonna be slicker in dry and wet conditions.

This also explains why Champ actually flies faster than other plastics.....the tightly gathered molecules allow air to flow over them quicker and more rapid than other less slick plastics. This is also why champ is said to be a better into the wind disc. Champ is less glidey than other plastics so shots tend to be straighter and more direct and often end up being more stable as the glide is minimal relative to other plastics.

Champ is less glidey so consider do you get your distance from the glide (katana, valkyrie etc) or do you get it from sheer power and cutting through the air (Orc, etc)...this is why certain champ discs are said to be not as good and too piggy (overstable) for their desired flight paths.

Champ is translucent thus its important to find a bright color as its easy to lose especially in those densely wooded courses you are likely to use it in.

I think Champ is good for a tunnel woods course as it makes for a good point A to point B disc without as much unpredictable glide and with much more durability for when you do thwack a tree.
However your likely to lose it as its translucent and you can't line shape as creatively as other plastics due to less air resistance which enables glide and line shaping.

Champ is phenomenal for windy conditions and OH shots which both require less glide to perform.

Star is a blend of champ and pro/dx type plastics so you are getting some of the better grip/glide of pro/dx with some of the durability/speed of champ

I prefer Star in brighter colors for the record but I dabble in some champ plastic

Star seems to be more expensive due to demand as I'd think Champ is probably more costly to produce

I dunno, a lot of star plastic has natural beauty, multiple color swirls and so on. Star dyes just as well as champ or better imo. Dyeing clear champ plastic is pretty hard to beat though, your opto Striker is sick. I like star more, it breaks in nicely and has better grip. If you're buying a light disc that you want to turnover out of the box id opt for champ cuz it'll hold its stability longer and won't become too flippy.

Stuff takes dye better but its not see through so harder to dye. And I just love all the vibrant colors of champ

I know everyone will yell at me, but I like Elite-Z better than Champ and Star over ESP. The Elite-Z seems to be a little tackier than the Champ counter-parts, and the Star plastic seems to hold up much better than its ESP counter-parts. Could all be in my head, but would be interested in hearing others thoughts.

Latest posts