• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Starting discs for female friend

At least it wasn't "170ish Champ Teebird" LOL

Dude, that's what I throw for big anhyzers and hyzer skip lines, and as a moderate headwind or downhill driver. How are you zeroing in on the exact weight and plastic like that?

Got my gf some discs finally! An innova starter pack that came with the leopard/shark/aviar combo. Here is a practice throw with the leopard from her first practice session. She will be dominating soon!

I don't know how you expect people to believe that you are into girls. ;-p

I urge a 175 beadless aviar, 175 dx stingray, and 175 dx leopard (preferably beat). Failing that, go to the used disc store and get some seriously beat base plastic that was on the understbale end of the stability spectrum when it was new.

why all Max weight???

the diamond, Pearl and Ruby were designed for women and children.

these :thmbup:
or the innova starter is also good
when my wife stuck with it i upgraded her diamond with a dye job to personalize it for her
its still one of her favs.

Attachments

• 2012-07-21_18-57-19_934.jpg
    2012-07-21_18-57-19_934.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Control. If you read JKs interview in DGM, she vehemently warns against giving women light weight discs to learn on. I agree. Go heavy, slow, and under stable.

Val is a big, strong, athletic woman. Most women don't have her build or her strength, so I'm skeptical of how much that applies to the people this thread is directed at. Every single time I've convinced a kid or woman to try lighter weight drivers they've almost instantly gained distance and control.

Control. If you read JKs interview in DGM, she vehemently warns against giving women light weight discs to learn on. I agree. Go heavy, slow, and under stable.

I know men that have trouble controlling max weight and getting it up to speed, don't think I want to give my wife heavier discs than she is comfortable with. that just leads to trying to muscle instead of smooth fluid throws.

Val is a big, strong, athletic woman. Most women don't have her build or her strength, so I'm skeptical of how much that applies to the people this thread is directed at. Every single time I've convinced a kid or woman to try lighter weight drivers they've almost instantly gained distance and control.

JK is not Val.

I certainly find lighter discs more difficult to control, and I can't really throw over 300 feet, even on a distance line. The lightest disc in my bag is 170, and I've tried the lighter stuff. It doesn't go farther. It is just flippier at higher speed.

Whoops, I read your post wrong. Either way, I disagree with you on that not just for women but in general. I throw relatively far, and most of my drivers are under 170, they're plenty stable even on longer throws and in headwinds. I would concede that lighter discs can be more sensitive to form flaws, but I think that's a good thing. Learning to eliminate/control OAT and other form flaws is good for your game in general.

I know men that have trouble controlling max weight and getting it up to speed, don't think I want to give my wife heavier discs than she is comfortable with. that just leads to trying to muscle instead of smooth fluid throws.

I'm discing down and also replacing some of the heavier discs in my bag. My 166 Wolf throws much better for me than a 175 mid when throwing RHBH.

That sounds like more of a technique or form flaw. Wind aside, I can throw fairways in the low 160's, mids in the high 160's and other non-max weight discs on anny and hyzer lines just fine. I'm not saying I'm crushing them 500', but they are not flippy. Unless. Big wind shows up. But even then, with the right release angle even light discs can fight wind pretty well.

LOL @ Wolf. Which troll are you? Just curious. ;-)

Not a troll at all, but thanks for asking. Yeah I know there is a big thread of Wolf hate, but I like the disc just fine :) Besides, I started this thread. Why would I troll my own thread? heh

Not a troll at all, but thanks for asking. Yeah I know there is a big thread of Wolf hate, but I like the disc just fine :) Besides, I started this thread. Why would I troll my own thread? heh

not sure what jenb's deal is considering she is the only one trolling this thread, but back on your topic... I had my wife play her first game today and she did great with her 150g shark. only issue was the aviar p&a as the rim is too deep for her small hand. gotta find her a new putter, possibly something beaded like an ion

Last edited:
Blizzards

I would start with blizzard plastic they go all the way down to 130g. That is what I give to all new players works very well.

In the end we went the starter pack option. Discraft 3 pack. Soft Magnet, Buzz and Cyclone in base plastic. Pluto Sports didn't have much in the way of lighter weights so I went with the pack that had 3 discs I know are good :)

Conveniently my first putter was a Soft Magnet at the same weight so she had 2 to throw. Or practice jotting saw her helping me chuck 7 putters and her 2 other discs at the basket. As an aside I'm loving my Neutron Ion and Eclipse Anode. Plus one each Vibram, Wizard, Neutron and Proton Nano :). I had no minis before and hey why not :)

I would start with blizzard plastic they go all the way down to 130g. That is what I give to all new players works very well.

the problem i have with this is that the noobs cant get the high speed drivers up to spin so end result... noob hyzers.
how about a slower light fairway driver. for my wife 150 dx leopards. lots of glide and very forgiving when its underpowered.
for a new male player maybe a 160's leo or same weight xl or something slow. just my 2 cents.

^Robbrews makes an excellent point. Female and Beginner are two different things, and but not necssarily mutually exclusive. Blizzards are all high speed and rather touchy at that. I wouldn't recommend them to novices, regardless of gender, age, whatever.

Leopards are very forgiving, and come in a wide range of weights and make great first drivers that people can use long after they've graduated beyond "novice." Leight weight Leos are great distance discs for inexperienced players, and great turnover/rollers for more powerful throwers. They're a staple of many bags for good reason.

Last edited:

Latest posts