• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

State with most 4+ courses

Courses rated 4 or more with 10+ reviews by state. States with 3 or fewer courses meeting those requirements were omitted from the list.

TX - 17
NC - 12
MI - 12
CA - 10
WI - 10
PA - 8
CO - 8
GA - 7
IN - 7
IA - 6
KY - 6
IL - 6
NY - 6
OR - 6
VA -5
MN - 5
MO - 4
FL - 4
OH - 4
If you care to take this a step further, the % of 4+ rated divided by qualifying courses in each state;
CO-17%
WI-15%
PA-15%
TX-14%
NC-14%
MI-12%
CA-11%

Considering that "The Valkyrie Kid" (diamond reviewer) gave Beaver Ranch a 5 and he has played over 400 courses, I wouldn't call that locally inflated. In fact, if the locals are giving the courses 4/4.5 then they are lowering the score.

Yeah.... I have to say, Conifer is deserving of its ranking. I wont hold that same regard for all the other courses in CO; but then again, I've only hit about 8 different courses in the Denver area... havent played it? kewl... no need for an opinion.:D

Am going to check out the University DGC just to see how an urban course got over 4.5 tho... That one does seem sketchy.:confused:

Dave-

So I just glanced at Conifer and it is a definite pitch and putt...albeit a nice looking one.

From what I saw I doubt it should be rated in the top 10...just with the teeboxes alone

<6000ft = not a top 10 course in the country IMO.

All the Oregon courses are underrated ;)

No but really it seems tricky to rate the courses. I always wonder if I should rate the courses for what the masses would think or for what I think. For instance Milo McIver in Oregon is a super long course and that is just not my cup of tea. If I were to review it I would probably only want to give it 3.5 stars but would feel pressure to do 4 or 4.5 since everyone else calls it one of the best in the state. Or my local course Bryant Park. The major knocks I see are that it is crowded on the weekends (with picnickers), hard to navigate, has thick rough and the carpet tee pads are slick and bumpy. Well I usually play it after work on weekdays, know how to navigate the course, know what rough to avoid and don't take a big run up anyway when I throw. To me the course is a 4.5 but I would feel pressured if I reviewed it to give it a 3 because it doesn't have the amenities that I think the general public likes. Another one is Morey Field in SD. Honestly I thought the course was way too crowded and that ruined it for me (IMO a disc round should neither be rushed nor slowed by others) but I gave it a bit higher because it is such a nice park, the locals were friendly and it has a great history.

To New013.
Before you comment on other's ratings you should play the courses you are whining about, play somewhere other than the east coast.

Does this automatically confer Stud's vacated Alpha Troll title to New? Dude's been on the site since 2011, but only today felt compelled to post in response to a transparent baiting.

Also, what does adding temporary courses do to the 4+rating/10+reviews list? I know that it nets the Murder Mitten another course with Toboggan, which I believe is a destination course.

I'm curious to know whether the other top states have temporary courses that could influence the planning of a road trip.

So I just glanced at Conifer and it is a definite pitch and putt...albeit a nice looking one.

From what I saw I doubt it should be rated in the top 10...just with the teeboxes alone

<6000ft = not a top 10 course in the country IMO.

By all means, feel free to come on out and "Pitch & Putt" this hole (hole 1).

picture.php

I would <3 to see your expression when ur disc stops just above the stairs.... :D

Just saying, don't knock something until ur disc has travelled it.

Dave-

By all means, feel free to come on out and "Pitch & Putt" this hole (hole 1).

picture.php

I would <3 to see your expression when ur disc stops just above the stairs.... :D

Just saying, don't knock something until ur disc has travelled it.

Dave-

Reminds me of hole 1 at snowbowl...295ft and only 3-4 guys at worlds could reach it.......with that said I am not a fan of most mountain courses......Timber Ridge in MI is probably the one exception.

BTW I am not truthfully knocking it......just stating what I can easily see from the pics....ie gravel pads

Last edited:
Also it seems as though somebody should adjust the distances on this course......sure seems a lot farther than 213ft.

Its a fairly crazy start to a round on hole 1. You are definitely winded by the time u get to hole 2, which of course continues to wind up the mountain. LOL.

Another thought might just be that most players are not up in this kind of course every single day. You may be able to attribute the high scoring of the course to ppl actually enjoying the change from a park or open space style flat course.

Most ppl I know that have played it really dig it for the terrain change and the fact that they are genuinely beat and tired by the time they finish. Beyond that, the challenge of really tight tree gaps adds to the thrill of playing it. This can also cause a spike in ppls scoring (especially if they make it through the gaps for a good approach shot or putt).

Here's a fine example of the nice gaps you are shooting through:

picture.php

No worries on knockin it (you stated ur not much for mountain courses anyway), but you're more than welcome to dropping a msg to any of us in Denver when you find the time to take a road trip. We will gladly throw a round with you in the Rockies. :D

Its a fairly crazy start to a round on hole 1. You are definitely winded by the time u get to hole 2, which of course continues to wind up the mountain. LOL.

Another thought might just be that most players are not up in this kind of course every single day. You may be able to attribute the high scoring of the course to ppl actually enjoying the change from a park or open space style flat course.

Most ppl I know that have played it really dig it for the terrain change and the fact that they are genuinely beat and tired by the time they finish. Beyond that, the challenge of really tight tree gaps adds to the thrill of playing it. This can also cause a spike in ppls scoring (especially if they make it through the gaps for a good approach shot or putt).

Here's a fine example of the nice gaps you are shooting through:

picture.php

No worries on knockin it (you stated ur not much for mountain courses anyway), but you're more than welcome to dropping a msg to any of us in Denver when you find the time to take a road trip. We will gladly throw a round with you in the Rockies. :D

I appreciate that! I need to get in some good CO golf so I can wash that bad taste out of my mouth that Fort Morgan left.....<--- Not CO golf

i wonder how this would work out if you could sort it by county- 4 full size courses here in spotsylvania with ratings of 4.64, 4.18, 4.09 and 3.65... one par 2 course rated around 3.8.

I'll back you up, New. I've playing both NC and CO courses. Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park is unique for it's beautiful views and crazy elevation changes but it is overrated. It's a great, fun course, but I don't think you should be rated that high without any par 4's. I also played Colorado Heights U. and it is a great course for being right in the city but it overrated as well.

Latest posts