• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Stay away from Westside Misprint package

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second statement makes the first irrelevant.

There are no legitimately objective issues with the deal. The only complaints are purely subjective.

This comes across more as a personal need to vent rather than a consumer protection PSA.

I was also hoping to find one discs in the pack that I could use personally. I think the fact that there such an imbalance of speeds in the package, is clearly an objective complaint. Didn't expect all the discs to fall at top and bottom of the speed charts. I know if i was putting these packages together i would look to put more variation out there as far as speed and stability. In that case everyone would get at least something that they wanted to throw, instead of nothing in this case.

You ordered a Westside box and expected good looking stamps? Why aren't you complaining that you didn't get five Westside molds? I'd be more pissed about that than a stamp (that probably wasn't designed well and caused a lot of fall out) I can get rid of with some acetone and a paper towel.

Lighten up, Francis.

I think your expectations of "mystery box" are too damn high.

...For the record I subsidize the disc with $5 out of my own pocket and my $5 CTP buy in.

Live. learn and adapt.

ball golf, I am not sure how your league CTP works. In my 'hood leagues and weeklies CTP have been done without a buy in or money used from the entry pool. Ace pools are optional buy ins and always for cash. Prizes for CTP are all donations mostly from league members of discs and whatever miscellaneous stuff. Shout out to who donated new stuff in the players meeting. The CTP prize(s) are picked by the winner out of a box of various donated stuff during payouts.

I was also hoping to find one discs in the pack that I could use personally. I think the fact that there such an imbalance of speeds in the package, is clearly an objective complaint. Didn't expect all the discs to fall at top and bottom of the speed charts. I know if i was putting these packages together i would look to put more variation out there as far as speed and stability. In that case everyone would get at least something that they wanted to throw, instead of nothing in this case.

Are these not described as a random assortment? Doesn't that mean that it is possible (not highly probable) to get 5 of the same mold with the same stamp? So you paid for a random assortment and received exactly that.

How about the fact that you think there is an imbalance of speeds, while others disagree? Thus it is a subjective complaint.

Furthermore it seems you are placing too much stock in flight numbers and/or don't have much experience with the discs in question. You got a putter, a mid-range, a Warship which could easily be a 6-7 speed based on flight, plus two high speed drivers of differing stability. Not a single duplicate disc when you could legitimately have received 2 or more of the same (again, see "random assortment") disc.

Again, there is no objective issue present here.

OP's profile says he's only been playing half a year. I'm curious if that is accurate as that might be the cause of unrealistic expectations.

It would explain why OP thinks there isn't a variety of discs (equating a Ballista to an Enforcer and a Verdict to a Warship.)

It would not explain the misunderstanding of what "random assortment" means.

My first queation is where did you buy this pack from, because to my knowledge, Westside doesn't do misprint packs. Dynamic does (five discs for $50 here) and right in the description, it makes no promises that don't describe the discs you received:

"This pack will include 5 random misprint discs from Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64, and Westside Discs. We will do our best to provide a good mix from each manufacturer, but it will depend on current stock.

Plastics will vary, but will include 1-2 Prime/Retro/Origio/Classic/Zero/BT discs and 3-4 BioFuzion/Recycled/Lucid/Opto/VIP/Fuzion/Gold/Tournament discs.

Weights will vary, depending on current stock.
"

A random mix is not a promise of discs fitting each category (putter, mid, fairway, etc) nor is it necessarily a promise of discs that suit a certain style or skill level. It's five random discs. Don't confuse your own personal expectations with some sort of assurance, implicit or explicit, from the seller.

Misprint packs are a gamble. They make that clear. You got what you paid for.

Anyone remember the Discraft ten pack misprint boxes? You'd get three or four Nukes or Surges, three or four Buzzzes, and whatever crap they had laying around to complete the box. Expectations are everything I guess.

My first queation is where did you buy this pack from, because to my knowledge, Westside doesn't do misprint packs. Dynamic does (five discs for $50 here) and right in the description, it makes no promises that don't describe the discs you received:

"This pack will include 5 random misprint discs from Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64, and Westside Discs. We will do our best to provide a good mix from each manufacturer, but it will depend on current stock.

Plastics will vary, but will include 1-2 Prime/Retro/Origio/Classic/Zero/BT discs and 3-4 BioFuzion/Recycled/Lucid/Opto/VIP/Fuzion/Gold/Tournament discs.

Weights will vary, depending on current stock.
"

A random mix is not a promise of discs fitting each category (putter, mid, fairway, etc) nor is it necessarily a promise of discs that suit a certain style or skill level. It's five random discs. Don't confuse your own personal expectations with some sort of assurance, implicit or explicit, from the seller.

Misprint packs are a gamble. They make that clear. You got what you paid for.

I realize they make no promises, but to me, it would make sense to include a disc from each speed category / stability at a minimum, and since that is what makes sense, it is what i expected. That is really my biggest beef. And limit the custom stamps to one of each kind in a pack. It isn't a difficult concept and would require only a smidgen of thought on the part of Dynamic to do it this way. Would any of you be disappointed if they actually put their packs together like i envisioned? Would you be more apt to order them or less apt if that was the case?

Yes I am am pretty new to the game.

Except for one other league participant, no one donates anything. I have been providing (more expensive) discs most weeks at my own expense (to try to boost participation), but cannot afford to keep funding in this manner, thus I wanted to try the misprints. I basically put a disc in to the CTP pool instead of my $5 each time leaving me $10-$15 in the hole (donation) each week.

it's really just no biggie, as in everyday life, I see almost no companies, that care or try to the right thing for their customers. But i always let them and others know how they could do better.

I think part of the issue is that the OP has a misunderstanding of exactly what misprint boxes are for, and whom they're for. They aren't there for a new player looking to find discs that work for him/her, they should have that figured out already. I think they're more for people who are looking to grab a stack of discs to bring to the field to practice. That's what they're marketed as basically; cheap backups. It's not a box of carefully selected discs in every speed range that you could make a bag out of. If they put that much effort into sorting through they're garbage misprints, they'd have to hire more staff.

I received a classic blend Judge with a very basic Disc Golf Center Stamp on it and nothing else as a CTP. I was so happy with the disc that I brought 3 more off the club.

Disclosure I have been putting with Judges forever.

I think part of the issue is that the OP has a misunderstanding of exactly what misprint boxes are for, and whom they're for. They aren't there for a new player looking to find discs that work for him/her, they should have that figured out already. I think they're more for people who are looking to grab a stack of discs to bring to the field to practice. That's what they're marketed as basically; cheap backups. It's not a box of carefully selected discs in every speed range that you could make a bag out of. If they put that much effort into sorting through they're garbage misprints, they'd have to hire more staff.

Agree. And for just a bit more, the OP could go to the Innova Proshop, get 10 DX Factory Second discs at $6 apiece, which IIRC brings a discount. Get that up to $75 and shipping is free, and you have giveaway discs. That might be a better option than a total gamble on a mystery box.

it's really just no biggie, as in everyday life, I see almost no companies, that care or try to the right thing for their customers. But i always let them and others know how they could do better.

My case in point. Mystery misprint boxes arent there for the reason you think they are. They didnt do you a misservice, although I agree many conpanies don't give a damn about what their customers want.
I'm sorry you're the only putting in effort in your league man.

I realize they make no promises, but to me, it would make sense to include a disc from each speed category / stability at a minimum, and since that is what makes sense, it is what i expected. That is really my biggest beef.

What you don't seem to understand is that you did get a disc from 5 different categories:

1) Versatile putter
2) OS mid
3) Straight mid that has fairway driver distance
4) Long distance driver with some turn
5) OS driver

Again, don't place so much stock in flight numbers. All 5 discs you received cover a variety of situations. You might not realize it now due to inexperience, but you got a great deal in terms of variety. That is why people are questioning your complaint with regard to the variety of discs.

What you don't seem to understand is that you did get a disc from 5 different categories:

1) Versatile putter
2) OS mid
3) Straight mid that has fairway driver distance
4) Long distance driver with some turn
5) OS driver

This! Good mystery box.

My case in point. Mystery misprint boxes arent there for the reason you think they are. They didnt do you a misservice, although I agree many conpanies don't give a damn about what their customers want.
I'm sorry you're the only putting in effort in your league man.

The point being that they could do this with zero more effort. But they obviously chose not to, even though they have the stock.

I have learned my lesson and won't be buying any more mystery boxes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.