• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Staying in Shape (my rant on smoking)

Hi all, I am new, but just quit smoking myself in April. I use a Personal Vaporizer to get the nicotine without all the other 4000+ chemicals they put in cigs. I have already felt better, no more morning cough, wheezing, etc. I have tapered the nicotine down to 0mg so I am not even getting that anymore. I can actually get out and play 63 holes in one day with my 9 year old son, and am not even breathing too hard at the end. Something I never could have done on cigarettes. If you have tried to quit another way, like me (gum, patches, cold turkey, welbutrin, etc.) and are having problems staying off of them. Check out the Pv's (electronic cigarettes). An NO they are NOT a Nicotrol inhaler! Those things are NASTY and not very efficient.

Thanks!

Tazz

I've been wondering how well the vapor cigarettes work. I take it the addiction is mainly to the nicotine, and not all the other junk in the tobacco?

Vapor cigarettes help with the mental addiction more than the physical part.

I did chantix for a month. Had no issues, what made me quit was the price of the chantix...no way I was paying $$$ for 2 more months.

Its been a year and a half since i quit smoking and i have never felt better. I also just quit cold turkey, i don't see the need in having to use patches, gum, or pills. Why so then i'm addicted to them also?
It was a tough process in the beginning, but i made it through it and it was well worth it.

I did chantix for a month. Had no issues, what made me quit was the price of the chantix...no way I was paying $$$ for 2 more months.
I'm now at the end of week 2 with Chantix and have had no issues. I completely relate to the Anti drug swap stance and wouldn't even consider using this product if it wasn't for my uncle. He smoked as much as I do and like myself tried the gum, patch, lozenge, etc. with no succsess. This worked for him, he reported no side affects, is still not smoking, so I said why not. It is expenseive but, a.) not as much as smokes and b.) my insurance covers a great deal of the cost for the first two months. I also agree that cold turkey would be the way to go, however, I apparently don't have the sac for it seeing as I've failed every time I've tried it.

I quit cold turkey about 2 months ago now. I thought maybe it would help me with my game plus i was getting sick of allergy attacks and everything else that comes with the habit.

However now i just smoke twice as much dope but the allergy attacks in the morning are gone.

I am down to about a pack a week, but I just can't seem to give it up completely. Got another kid coming in a couple weeks though, hopefully that will give me the extra incentive to finally get rid of the death sticks for good.

Pack a day still going strong. Regardless of the health benefits...Will quitting smoking improve my golf score? No. It won't.

Will it improve my fitness level? Marginally at best.

Quit when you're ready I'm not, I enjoy everyone of the sweet sweet mentholated sticks I smoke.

Pack a day still going strong. Regardless of the health benefits...Will quitting smoking improve my golf score? No. It won't.

Will it improve my fitness level? Marginally at best.

Quit when you're ready I'm not, I enjoy everyone of the sweet sweet mentholated sticks I smoke.

Awesome! :thmbup: Enjoy being a slave to cigarettes!

If you are in shape and/or relatively young, quitting will not make as big a health difference in the short term.

Long term yields would be the main benefit like avoiding lung cancer and other respiratory illness. Not to mention how much money you would save from quitting a pack/day. At $5/pack depends where you live (NYC is $10/pack) thats $150 a month and $1800 a year, or $3600 a year in NYC! Health insurance is more expensive for smokers and may lose out on a job when against a non-smoker.

great job quitting, i'm addicted to running and my knees hate me

Its been a year and a half since i quit smoking and i have never felt better.

It's possible you felt better before you started smoking. ;) Good job with the quitting though. It took my dad several tries before he was finally able to stop for good.

I don't care what anyone says, Cold Turkey is the only way to quit anything. Otherwise you are just trading addictions. Addiction may be a disease, but its a behavioral disease and the only way to change that behavior is to stop doing it.

I quit last October, cigarettes that is. And I feel great.

Latest posts