• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step/Jump Putt rule change?

I still don't get that. I don't watch soccer except Olympics.

Without getting too deep off topic, there is an interesting comparison to step putting.

Offside occurs when the offensive player the ball is played to (simplifying there) is nearer their offensive goal than 2 defenders (usually one is goalie but not always) at the moment the all is played. People get confused by deflections and the like but also by the offside decision depending on where everyone (possibly offside player, 2 defenders) is when the ball is put into motion toward the player who may or may not be offside.

So, like step putting, the assistant referee on the sideline has to simultaneously look at when the ball is played and where all the involved players are at that moment, just like the disc having to leave the step putters hand before foot contacts the ground in front of lie.

Instant replay has proven that those dual points of attention are not always assessed correctly. But, unlike is sometimes the case in disc golf, someone is at least paying attention.

Ulibarri use to step putt years ago and it was very close when you broke it down frame by frame if I remember correctly. He stopped doing it though. Then does Dickerson still do the back foot thing? He was putting with his left foot behind the mini and raising up his front foot. I honestly wouldn't mind a 15 meter circle just to knock some of the questionableness with the step and jump putting. You get outside of 50 feet then do whatever.

But must we deal with his delusions in EVERY thread?

I think you're delusional to think the sport isn't going to change and for the better. I simply want to watch excellent courses and elite players play the sport at the highest level. I'm not sure why others are so against positive change.

But must we deal with his delusions in EVERY thread?

I used to know these rave kids who had a German Shepherd. Unfortunately, someone gave the dog LSD and broke his brain. The dog would seem normal enough until it became focused on chasing his tail. At that point, the dog became a whirling canine tornado of destruction. It would chase with such energy that it would knock over people, furniture, whatever was in its way. You couldn't stop it, you felt bad for the dog, but all you could really do was just get out of the way. Maybe there's a point to my story? I don't know.

Too many 3-pointers in NBA? Is a smaller basket the answer? No, they're looking at adding a 4-point line.

I suspect 10 years from now we could have 30 players rated over 1040. Yet we have a basket size from 1975. The basket has not kept up with the evolution of player skill, not even close. Disc golf was designed to be a fun game in the park. Not a professional sport. We need a professional sized target.

We need smaller teepads and discs then too.

Just a two foot concrete slab to throw from, along with 25% smaller discs.

Enough with only making baskets smaller.

Time to move past that ancient/backwards school of thought and look to the future.

What does everyone think of stand and deliver? I really like it. Imagine in ball golf if you could tee up your ball from the fairway for a second drive. Ridiculous right? We are basically allowing ourselves to do that by allowing follow through on fairway drives. Subsequent shots should not go as far as the tee shot. It will help tame the insane two shot range of modern pros. I see no reason to avoid it.

Almost nobody jump putts inside 50 feet and anytime someone makes a putt outside 50' it's cool as hell and should be encouraged.

For step putting, if it were such a big advantage everyone would do it. I estimate 80% of players choose not to step putt, so if it isn't a big advantage they can't be "cheating" so let them do it.

I don't see the problem or a need for any rule changes. It's fine.

Philo & Ian had more to say in final round coverage, seeing how close to a fault Dickinson was on his step putt, and how it puts cardmates in an awkward position.

Too many 3-pointers in NBA? Is a smaller basket the answer? No, they're looking at adding a 4-point line.

That would devalue the 3 pointer though and create more space, not a bad idea. Personally I think they should make the court 3 feet wider, extend the current line back 1 foot and be done with it. But then of course, arenas would lose a front row of seating to accommodate the larger court. So not likely. It pretty clear though the NBA has a problem, just as disc golf does, even if many don't realize it.

We need smaller teepads and discs then too.

Just a two foot concrete slab to throw from, along with 25% smaller discs.

Enough with only making baskets smaller.

Time to move past that ancient/backwards school of thought and look to the future.

Actually discs are smaller today! From 1964 till the early 80's the standard width was much wider then your standard midrange today. Super and vintage class discs. 23.5 compared to 21.2 today putters.

https://www.pdga.com/technical-stan...l&order=field_equipment_approve_date&sort=asc

Meanwhile baskets got even a little bit wider (about an inch if you compare a Mach I and Mach X).

https://www.pdga.com/technical-stan...l&order=field_equipment_approve_date&sort=asc

So we got smaller better discs but bigger baskets and players who have evolved tremendously.

What does everyone think of stand and deliver? I really like it. Imagine in ball golf if you could tee up your ball from the fairway for a second drive. Ridiculous right? We are basically allowing ourselves to do that by allowing follow through on fairway drives. Subsequent shots should not go as far as the tee shot. It will help tame the insane two shot range of modern pros. I see no reason to avoid it.

I've got a reason: Injuries.

And another one: nobody wants this.

The issue of it being too hard to tell if it's a foot fault or not is pretty easy for me. If it's too hard to tell with the naked eye, then it isn't a foot fault. The benefit of doubt goes to the player, then you continue to enjoy the rest of the round.

Please don't change this rule. I just friggin' figured out how to do it and it's fun!

Should am's and pros play by the same rules? I think that's the big question for me. I developed a step putt to use from 35-80 feet. I have a decent half-go throw from beyond that. I know I can't stand and deliver putt all that well from 60 feet and I'm not going to throw from 60 feet.

So I like being able to step putt. Should I be required to play by the same rules as pros bc they can throw 900 ft in 2 throws and make 5/10 or better from 45 feet? Do I want to put in the time to develop a 60 foot C1 style putt when a fine option already exists? I sink very few 40-60 foot step putts. But I like knowing I have a chance and will be happy with short putt out if I execute step putt well.

And I think stand and deliver in the fairway is a non-starter question. The run-ups plus throw quality best show off the athleticism in the game.