• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Flat Thin Driving Putters - Trying to Mostly Eliminate Midranges

K1 Reko for more of a putter flight, finishing by dropping.
Premium plastic Maiden for more of a midrange flight, gliding on instead of dropping.
I like both actually, but favor the maiden because I also putt with those.

I don't see the point of throwing large diameter midranges in competition. Yes, they are straighter and glide more (physics), but the increased drag and wind dependence make them worse from my point of view. Might as well throw more nose-up if I really want that (not often). For my game (FH and BH, most shots requiring shot shaping with FH), I like the Maiden/Harp and Kaxe Combo better than large diameter mids. Throwing e.g. the claymore is fun and good for practice but not as consistent.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

I putt with a Pilot (Neutron SL) and throw a Maiden (BT Hard Moonshine). But I also bag a Ricky Pro Pig to handle to OS work. I feel like those 3 discs can handle anything from about 180' in.

I still rely on mids for the next range of distances, and for their specific flights (for example, when I throw my MD2 flat and straight it has a reliable hookup at the end that neither the Maiden or Pig can match).

Have you tried a Discmania Sensei? They have a very Envy like flight with no overmold so it might work well for you. I can even forehand it pretty well and with putters that aren't overstable that can be a challenge me.

I'd recommend an Aviar3. I throw Color Glow Champ, but have also experimented with DX, XT, Star, and Luster. They're pretty consistent, but you can find some domey (for a flat putter) DX and some puddle top XTs.

Pure feels nice.

Deputy and Fierce are nice if you want lower profile understable putters. Sol isn't quite a putter, but it is in the same vein and feels super nice. I don't bag one, but it is one of my favorite discs to throw.

Not what you asked, but do yourself a favor and try a Kaxe. It is a small diameter sharp rimmed mid. If you really want to eliminate the traditional mid spot the Kaxe may be a better fit than your slow fairway drivers.

I'm basically doing what you are doing (I don't bag a mid and use a putter instead most of the time).

Putters I've really liked are Maidens (which I also putt with), Innova Colts, DGA Breakers, and Pigs. The Maiden and the colt are the furthest flying of all of these discs, but can still burn you if putting down a lot of power. The Pig and Breaker are a bit better that way but don't have the glide that the other two discs have. I currently bag Maidens and Pigs. The Colt was a tick too understable for me and the Breaker rim feels a bit weird paired with the slippery Proline plastic.

I also like BT soft plastic for the Maiden since it seems to handle torque a bit better than the other plastics.

YMMV.

When I was looking at doing the same thing - eliminating mids - I was considering the following molds:

Mirage - goes super far for a throwing putter if you hyzer flip it. Very flippy, shallow

Proxy - very long for a putter, somewhat shallow, nice and flat through and through. Straight.

Atom - slightly wider rim than the Proxy, maybe a tic longer because of that?? Stability between the Proxy and Envy

Envy - a very well known and liked stable throwing putter. More stable Proxy.

The overstable slot can be filled with any number of popular OS upshot discs like the Zone. If you want to go Zone, I recommend an ESP or one that's not totally puddle topped if you want to get a little carry out of it.

EDIT: Also I realized that I tried the same thing with slower fairways to jump over the mid slot and go straight from long putters to short fairways. For this, the Sting or Leopard (not Leopard3) are great, then probably the Servo is the best option for a stable slow fairway, plus a Resistor or Banshee.

Last edited:
I've thrown most of these shallower putters but find I still have a nice gap between them and my midranges. For instance understable putter to mid say (Deputy to Tursas) is a good 25-30 feet. I don't throw my putters real high though either more of a line drive so it's probably the lower glide creating a gap.

I could see if you throw higher the putters could go about the same.

My thinnest putter is a Star Mirage. You can throw it on a pretty deep hyzer and get it to stand up and grab some good distance.

If you haven't tried them the shallower driving putters Gateway makes are fantastic. Use my Shaman and Chief OS quite a bit in the woods, those and the regular Chief are all ran flat and are low profile so they fit good in the hand forehand or backhand.

I've thrown most of these shallower putters but find I still have a nice gap between them and my midranges. For instance understable putter to mid say (Deputy to Tursas) is a good 25-30 feet. I don't throw my putters real high though either more of a line drive so it's probably the lower glide creating a gap.

I could see if you throw higher the putters could go about the same.

I am same though I have had the #2 Upshot in prostyle and upper 160's grams to no more then 170 gams, XD (Colt is replacement) tried a persons for driving one time, and Classic Roc tried a friends (when he did use mold) for a round. Classic ROC is limited on the Innova factory store in Star in midrange section despite being called a putter by Innova in 2000's before going oop. All these discs get the same distance as a putter shaped /putter flight midrange. I have also seen some use the Dart and get as far as a midrange though I have never used the mold, have used a Rubber Putter Lighting in 2000's and a similar beaded mold now sold only from Gotta Go Gotta Throw got me as far as a midrange due to the glide.

For Small diameter midrange try a Gator/Cayman/Mortar disc for both midrange and approach stuff, being a putter shape just low profile it can be a great disc. Then there is the Skeeter a disc that is basically a small diameter Comet only a tick more straight flying from the Skeeter with less OS fade at the end for Skeeter.

I've discovered that I really prefer flat thin discs whenever possible. I have a Discmania Sensei which my girlfriend has adopted, 2 new MVP Anodes, and a Gateway Shaman as my flattest putters. The Sensei got me onto the flat thing. I like the MVPs after using a friend's. All I can say about the Shaman is that it must have spent a lot of time in obedience school, because the darned thing does exactly what you tell it to. Every time. I've sunk so many blind, obstructed putts with it, it's ridiculous. Can't see the basket? Use the Shaman. It's become a bit of a running joke with the guys I disc with.

C-Line Infinite Tomb is my goto for a glidey, turn-resistant, low-profile putter...doesn't really turn and has some fade even on a full power throw.

The innova rat is thin and flat and feels great in the hand. Reminds me of a small diameter Mako3.

Rat and Tomb both feel like tweener discs (same shared flat top), I like throwing both FH and BH. Tomb has a bit more glide and Rat is a little more stable but they both handle wind decently well. If you get them spinning they'll hold angles nicely. I think the Tomb is most likely to replace a mid range but only in low wind or tailwind. Headwind would probably need a bit more stability.

Sometimes I'll throw a premium Aviar3 in the straight-understable but feel the Tomb goes a bit further. Base plastic Aviar3, Invader, P3x, Omega Driver are all a bit shallower than their premium versions and glide a little further.

There are some courses where I rarely use mids or make do without in my area, but I will usually keep 1-2 in the bag. Sometimes the flight & ground action a Aurora MS/Roc3 can give is really beneficial over a putter. Not knowing what the course layout might be or if I might need to scramble from a distance where a mid makes most sense factors in.

Latest posts