• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step/Jump Putt rule change?

Get a range finder then.

So every PDGA member will need range finders for a C-tier?

NO THANKS.

For casual play, yes. For tournaments, the line or whiskers would simply be placed at the 20 meter mark so no difference in judging.

Very nice of you to mandate that all TD are now required to place whiskers at all PDGA events. PDGA rules cover more than just National Tour Events.

Very nice of you to mandate that all TD are now required to place whiskers at all PDGA events. PDGA rules cover more than just National Tour Events.

Lol. Calm down there man. We're just chatting here.

You are right though, there are alot of things to consider.

So every PDGA member will need range finders for a C-tier?

NO THANKS.

No, you can still walk it off.
The comment about getting a range finder was for the guy too lazy to walk 20 paces.

Point being, either figure it out in some acceptable way, or take the easy solution which is just to choose not to step/jump putt.

Many of the courses, in my area, are not clean greens out to circle two, often brush/bushes and undergrowth are part of the landscape outside circle one. Drawing circles, placing flags/feathers/bricks....to note the green, could be a real challenge. Heck, we have fences, OB and tee areas (not so common here, but I am betting this is real in more open courses).

Of course, nobody argued otherwise. We have already agreed in this thread that there is a difference between the technical definition of putting and the every day usage of the term "putting".

I am worn out with people suggesting that TD's just add chores or make changes to fit their whims. I am a fan of those who are out busting their hump with us every month implementing improvements.

Get a range finder then.

A bit steep on my pocket book, to help my AM3 cardmates determine whether they can jump and miss their 45 footer or standstill to miss it. :p

A bit steep on my pocket book, to help my AM3 cardmates determine whether they can jump and miss their 45 footer or standstill to miss it. :p

Look, you brought up your complaint about watching people pace off their lies, I gave you a solution.
Do your time value of money calculations, if you play in enough tournaments that the ~10 mins/round saved is worth the $150.

$150 isn't that much money, and you're on here so damn much, I cannot understand why you wouldn't just make the purchase.

I am worn out with people suggesting that TD's just add chores or make changes to fit their whims. I am a fan of those who are out busting their hump with us every month implementing improvements.

I assume you must enjoy all that you do for the sport and the game and I am sure all your hard work is much appreciated, as is the hard work of those volunteers in all areas that make our game and sport better.

This is a message board and people are just responding to the topic as it flows along. I don't recall anyone imposing any extra work on you and it isn't fair for you to play gate keeper for any idea or suggestion that you feel will add to your already heavy workload. It's just a conversation.

If one of my half-assed ideas ever did become reality, you can be assured I would be one of the first people out there getting my hands dirty to help get it into the ground, lol. I am sure there are people much smarter and much more experienced at this than I am, so I am confident that anything I type here will not cause much irreparable damage to our game, lol.

Lol. Calm down there man. We're just chatting here.

You are right though, there are alot of things to consider.

he's not heated up. he just pointed out why your comment was poorly thought.

Look, you brought up your complaint about watching people pace off their lies, I gave you a solution.
Do your time value of money calculations, if you play in enough tournaments that the ~10 mins/round saved is worth the $150.

$150 isn't that much money, and you're on here so damn much, I cannot understand why you wouldn't just make the purchase.

LOL...it is a lousy solution.(a stool would be a far better suggestion) Still a hard pass.

If I spend less time on here, do I still need a range finder?

Hmm... been a member for less than a year and you're already up to 220 posts. :eek: Since you're on here so damn much and think it's such a good idea, and $150 isn't that much money, I can't understand why you wouldn't just buy one and give it to him to shut him up. :confused:

Clearly, you DON'T know a putt when you see one.

You're assuing that a putt is differentiated from a fairway throw by the mechanics of a throw irrespective of how close or how far the thrower is from the basket, whereas the Rulebook specifically defines a putt as:

irrespective of the mechanics of the throw. The corollary, which necessarily follows from the definition, is that any throw made from outside 10 meters of the target are NOT putt, irrespective of the mechanics of the throw.

Which part of the rules is this corollary written in?

Oh, it's not? Okay. So, it only exists here? So it's arbitrary just as any definition created here or UDisc?

I agree.

If the goal is to get rid of step putting and jump putting, why does the rule change to achieve this have to be so complicated? Why can't it just be:

"No step putting or jump putting."

Everyone who plays disc golf knows what they are and what they look like. Why can't it be that simple, instead of changing rules that might mess with other aspects of the game.

Which part of the rules is this corollary written in?

Proposition: txmxr doesn't know WTH a corollary is.

Proof:

A. Definition of Corollary:

cor·ol·lar·y (kôrə-lĕr′ē, kŏr-)

n. pl. cor·ol·lar·ies
1. A proposition that follows with little or no proof required from one already proven.
2. A deduction or an inference.
3. A natural consequence or effect; a result.

adj.
Consequent; resultant.

B. 806.01.A:

Any throw made from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target is a putt

from which it follows as a natural consequence without need for further proof or a written documentation that throws made from beyond 10 meters of the target are not, by definition, putts.

C. txmxer asks where in the rules the corollary is written, thereby demonstrating that txmxer doesn't know WTH a corollary is. QED.

I see this "problem" in the same light as the other "problem" where too many pros aren't missing 10% more putts at 25-30 feet.

What problem?

Don't like watching others using their lower body to help deliver the Disc into the basket outside of 33'? Sorry it irks you. Oh well.

If the goal is to get rid of step putting and jump putting, why does the rule change to achieve this have to be so complicated? Why can't it just be:

Everyone who plays disc golf knows what they are and what they look like. Why can't it be that simple, instead of changing rules that might mess with other aspects of the game.

There are two major issues that need to be resolved for this type of rule change.

1. When does putting begin and throw end? A majority of players do not wish to eliminate the follow thru on throws. Is that distance 40 feet or 140 feet?

2. How are players during a sanctioned round going to measure this said distance? While still keeping a pace of play that allows 2 rounds in a day to be completed?

I am certain DGPT could come up with a distance and a way to measure/mark this distance given their resources. I just do not see a solution for the smaller C-tier TD's with very limited recourses to make it fair for all parties concerns. Or the extra work it would entail to paint or install whiskers at circle 2. In my prior experiences some TD have those type of resources while others do not. And mandating extra work upon volunteers is a losing solution.

What would happen in a TD was only able to paint 15 of 18 holes before an event? A non-sanction rounds?? The issues could be endless. What happens if a TD paints a circle at 50 feet instead of 60 feet? A suspension of the TD?

The more complicated we make things the less often people are going to wish to volunteer to TD events.

I have not personally heard a solution better than no follow thru within 10 meters. It is easily measurable and agreed upon between many groups in the past.

Because that's not how a rule is written. A rule is written so that someone who has never played can understand it.

Proposition: txmxr doesn't know WTH a corollary is.

Proof:

A. Definition of Corollary:

B. 806.01.A:

from which it follows as a natural consequence without need for further proof or a written documentation that throws made from beyond 10 meters of the target are not, by definition, putts.

C. txmxer asks where in the rules the corollary is written, thereby demonstrating that txmxer doesn't know WTH a corollary is. QED.

Oh you are so smarmy er smart.

It is a sport? It is therefore defined by written rules? There is no such thing as an unwritten rule in sports. Corollaries do not exist when defining rules in sports.

Latest posts