• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Step up from a sidewinder?

Husky22

Alright, I've gotten to the point where i can get my sidewinder out to about 325-350 with really good control, but I was wondering what the natural step up from a sidewinder. If I try and push it out past there, it turns too much, and it has a tendancy to keep turning. After looking at the innova site, it seems like a beast would be a good natural step up, but I was wondering what else was out there?

Alright, I've gotten to the point where i can get my sidewinder out to about 325-350 with really good control, but I was wondering what the natural step up from a sidewinder. If I try and push it out past there, it turns too much, and it has a tendancy to keep turning. After looking at the innova site, it seems like a beast would be a good natural step up, but I was wondering what else was out there?

I know a lot of the top guys around my area have started throwing the Katana religiously. Everybody seems to love it. Apparently its a faster sidewinder

I don't have the arm for a katana. I can outdrive my star katana with my sidewinder just about every time. The stars are nothing like what the fligh characteristics say. I have a pro that started out really good and 400 wasn't a problem, but I can't afford to replace it every week. The guy that sells discs here has some Champ Katana's and he said in lighter weights(167ish) they are in between a star and a pro?

I know a lot of the top guys around my area have started throwing the Katana religiously. Everybody seems to love it. Apparently its a faster sidewinder

Havn't thrown that yet, but it's supposedly a good disc as well. I'm always skeptical of the new ultra fast drivers though. my favorite one recently has been the destroyer. the boss, groove and x-calibur i'm sure are good discs for other people, just not for me.

It would be a better decision to move horizontally across that scale rather than vertically. In other words, instead of jumping up to a monarch because you're burning out your sidewinder, try staying int he same speed but adding stability. I'd suggest trying out a Valkyrie or a Viking. The beast is actually a pretty hard step up from the sidewinder if you get a brand new champ one, and you won't really see much distance gains fighting it. These are the two I'd suggest. Before I do though- what weight is your sidewinder, and are you RHBH, I assume?

The new Discmania TD - Rush might be what you're looking for. From their website:

TD - Rush
The new Discmania Turning Driver is an easy-to-throw disc suitable for everyone from beginners to pros. This new speed 9+ driver has a comfortable smaller rim grip that offers a lot of glide (rated at 5), a long soft turn (rated at -4) and fade of only 1. If you're looking for a disc that flies faster than Innova's roadrunner but still offers one of the best glides in the market, Turning Driver is your choice! Available in S-line.​

It would be a better decision to move horizontally across that scale rather than vertically. In other words, instead of jumping up to a monarch because you're burning out your sidewinder, try staying int he same speed but adding stability. I'd suggest trying out a Valkyrie or a Viking. The beast is actually a pretty hard step up from the sidewinder if you get a brand new champ one, and you won't really see much distance gains fighting it. These are the two I'd suggest. Before I do though- what weight is your sidewinder, and are you RHBH, I assume?

Sidewinder is 169. Its fairly used. I wouldn't say beat but its had some throws on it.

The new Discmania TD - Rush might be what you're looking for. From their website:

TD - Rush
The new Discmania Turning Driver is an easy-to-throw disc suitable for everyone from beginners to pros. This new speed 9+ driver has a comfortable smaller rim grip that offers a lot of glide (rated at 5), a long soft turn (rated at -4) and fade of only 1. If you're looking for a disc that flies faster than Innova's roadrunner but still offers one of the best glides in the market, Turning Driver is your choice! Available in S-line.​

This sounds like the complete opposite of what he's wanting to do; what you just listed is exactly a Roadrunner, which is a step more understable than the sidewinder.

This sounds like the complete opposite of what he's wanting to do; what you just listed is exactly a Roadrunner, which is a step more understable than the sidewinder.

Not really. He's flipping his sidewinder when he's throwing it beyond it's rated speed 9. The TD is rated speed 10. So it won't flip as easily when he applies the same power.

Champ. I have a star that is 166 but the champ is much more consistant.

Okay good to know. I actually would say try a heavier sidewinder, or go to a 172ish Valkerie then. I learned distance drivers on Valks, and they are super versatile and a bit more stable. But I kind of found that a 175 Sidewinder for me often does the same job. A 166g vs. a 173g even would be almost be that step up you're looking for, bud.

Actually the TD doesn't turn as much as a SW or RR. Ratings don't mean ****.

Champ. I have a star that is 166 but the champ is much more consistant.

A heavier champ or a Valk/Vike is what you're looking for. Either one will fly more stable. Also, if you're not already, start hyzer-flipping the one you have in the meantime.

A heavier champ or a Valk/Vike is what you're looking for. Either one will fly more stable. Also, if you're not already, start hyzer-flipping the one you have in the meantime.

That sounds like we got two votes for a heavier sidewinder, or step it up to the Valkyrie or Viking! Woot!

What to expect from them: A valkyrie is a little bit more versatile. If you back off on power, you'll get a nice straight line; if you unload and toss it just a smidge higher, these things can hold their glide wonderfully. A viking on the other hand can be a bit more beefier- but honestly, it would be a great disc to have for you to fight headwinds, etc. with. Depending on the weight, a champ Viking would give you a bit more versatility in the department of hyzers, while still giving you a lot of room to play with lines.

TeeBird. I don't care if it is a slower disc. it is a lot more stable than a Sidewinder. When you can get the TB to go 370' other discs will be of better use.

Latest posts