• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sticking to one company

I started out with innova as most probably do. Then after a few years I used to throw a really mixed bag, and now its pretty much only 3 due to me losing other discs and what not. I mostly throw 3 brands: Dynamic Discs is my putters, a mid or two, and the escape. From Lat 64, I use the striker, saint pro, and flow. For innova I use beat in teebirds which I've had for a long time, a coyote(gets minimal use, but I cant seem to take it out), and my condor. I use my striker and escape for the same spot in my bag. If I cannot find a striker in the weight and color combo I want, I look for the escape in the weight and color combo I'm looking for.

When I first tried the Lat 64 river, I was hooked to lat 64. I found that I liked the DD judge, not knowing that Lat molded the discs for DD when I bought the judge. It kind of just happened that way.

In no way would I purposefully only throw discs from one manufacturer unless I happen to get good enough for sponsorship(not gonna happen). No reason to. If I had to stick with a certain manufacturer, I would probably have to go with the trifecta. err. trilogy.

Last edited:
I throw all Innova because that's what I'm familiar with and what I also own a lot of.

Over the years, you find molds you like and stick with them. And stock up on them.

I didn't plan to throw all innova and I'm no fanboy, its just hard to justify spending so much money replacing all the discs I already love and know how to throw.

Especially with a stack of them sitting in my basement.

I only throw 6 molds though, so I guess I could replace them with other manufacturers should a fire ever occur.

Only problem is I would probably go from 6 molds to like 15 to cover all my shots.

i definitely agree that throwing a mixed bag is a good idea - i started off with an entire lat64 bag and would only throw lat. definitely was robbing myself even though they have good discs.

one thing i do notice in keeping with the above "gate/discraft/innova" comment is that over time i have trended toward a particular manufacturer for each type of disc as well.

the pd2 and pd are great options for someone who wants two drivers to do it all across various plastics - not sure if a PD2 will ever be truly understable, though.

i like mvp's mids. they don't have a true understable option yet.

i like gateway's base plastic selection. something else nobody can match, but you will want to pick them in-person or ask a buddy who has access.

every company has something to offer. don't short yourself. as far as 1-company bags go, they will always try to fill their own lineup holes and have the best complementary molds for themselves so you will gain that advantage. i personally don't see how you couldn't fill that spot with another disc, though. on the whole i think it's up to you, but don't see really any argument FOR a 1-company bag that is as compelling as the arguments against it.

unless you're sponsored. ;)

10 molds from 9 manufacturers here. I could very easily carry one manufacturer, but with so many options, why?

The only purpose I see of a non-sponsored player being loyal to a brand is that they enjoy being a corporate tool. Marketing gurus in their expensive suits, fancy cars and bluetooth headsets love people like that. Your hard earned money is their easy earned money.

The only purpose I see of a non-sponsored player being loyal to a brand is that they enjoy being a corporate tool. Marketing gurus in their expensive suits, fancy cars and bluetooth headsets love people like that. Your hard earned money is their easy earned money.

Oh, I don't know. One good reason someone might have is to reduce the bewildering number of choices and discs to try. Most players could stick with one manufacturer and fill every slot in their bag; the options for replacements from other manufacturers would make imperceptible differences in their game and score.

I wouldn't do it or recommend it, but it would be a valid reason.

But it's not like any manufacturer does something so different from the others that their style of discs makes a huge difference. OK, maybe Vibram, which I haven't thrown. But no one's making all maximum-radius or all-thumbtrack or all-whatever discs that a player could get devoted to.

I tried sticking to an all Innova bag but I kept finding myself saying, "man I wish I had my Comet in the bag, or a Wizard would be perfect for this shot."

Then I said to myself, "why don't I just put them in the bag?"

Only I determine what goes in the bag for my benefit on the course.

Last edited:
As someone who has thrown a mixed bag for a lot of years, my outlook is I'm going to throw a disc that suits MY throwing style, and lowers my score. I am a thrower of putters that I get a lot of kidding from by other players....the Blowfly and Gumputt. However, I have been throwing them for YEARS, and for me it works(well most of the time....LOL). I do have mostly Innova in my bag, but when I cash out at a tourney, it is usually Innova in the area I play, so that is what I throw. But during my years I have played around with different companies and found what works for me. I'm not afraid to try new companies or discs, but I have got set in my ways and what discs I throw now, and 99% of the time, when I do cash out, if I do get any plastic, I just get backups for what I do throw, and then if something catches my eye, or there is something out new I want to try, I'll get it and test it out.
Until someone pays you to throw ONLY their brand, you are cheating yourself out of finding what works for you and lowering your score because of it.

For myself, I am skeptical that the additional choices will significantly lower my score. Is there a disc out there that can lower my score by as much as 1 stroke per hole? Can I find 5 such discs and raise my rating by 50 points?

Due to my penchant for throwing discs in water, and replacing them other models, my bag is ever-changing. My rating has been within 8 points of 900 for the past 17 updates.

I'm certain that if I limited my bag to one manufacturer, at least one large manufacturer, I could find the discs that suit me among their offerings, with little affect on my actual scores.

I don't think that any one company could cover everyone's needs.
Having said that, there are individuals who have had success throwing a "one company" bag.
I have 7 companies represented in my current bag and will try nearly everything just for the fun of it.

I've been bagging only Prodigy for a while now, and I'll defend my case thusly… I like them. I really like their plastic. I really like their disc flight rating system and I really like their discs. Prodigy just makes disc selection and replacement less of a hassle for me, not to mention they put an end to having to cycle or beat in discs, and frankly I've never been much for cartoon graphics, and seemingly arbitrary and over romanticized names are just something to which I don't relate. Freedom being an absolute I would say- throw what you want.

Last edited:
I find this notion that one is "cheating themselves" if they don't throw a mixed bag a false narrative if for no other reason than it puts too much emphasis on the 'arrow' and not the 'archer'.

I find this notion that one is "cheating themselves" if they don't throw a mixed bag a false narrative if for no other reason than it puts too much emphasis on the 'arrow' and not the 'archer'.

No, not really.

Latest posts