• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stocking up and would love some feedback

mcnal1sp

Hey all, I've been shopping around online and came up with a list of a bunch of discs I'd like to pick up in the near future. I'm taking votes on which ones of each type I should get and which ones I don't really need. Most of them I've never used, but have heard and read great things about. Thanks in advance for your input.

Nuke
Katana
Teebird
Valkyrie
Groove

Roc
Buzzz
Mako
Stingray
Skeeter
Leopard
Comet

Magnet
Aviar P +A
Dart
Aero
Sonic
P1

I did something like this a while ago and the biggest thing I learned from it is that blowing money on discs en mass is not a wise idea. 1 it costs a lot, 2 it takes a long while to actually get a feel for a disc, 3 85% of those discs won't remain in your bag, and 4 it is better to have someone who can teach you suggest what discs to learn and when to try something else and what to try. If no one is available someplace like here (as you are asking) is the next best place.

I bought something close to 20 discs in one shot and 1 of them has remained in my bag (the rocs may return, making it something closer to 4). Point is, wise move on coming here.

First I would say FORGET THE GROOVE, of anything you read here forget about buying that disc, it is worthless. As far as the katana and Nuke I would say skip them, the Valk and Teebirds are great buys. Especially the Teebird.

Roc and Buzzz are good buys but you may want to pick one for your bag as having both is redundant. The Stingray and Comet are good buys for sure and I personally really dig the Leopard as it has helped my driving form a whole lot. All here I've mentioned are very good buys and discs to learn with and love for a long time.

Putters are funny in that you have to try them for a while to see which you like, I myself went through 4-5 before I came to the Vibrams I have. I would suggest starting with the magnet and Aviar. DITCH THE SONIC, it is not as appealing as it sounds and hardly begginer friendly. Also not a catch disc despite looking like one. So yeah pick 2-3 (maybe really different ones) so you can feel what you like in a putter.

So from what you've listed I suggest this
Teebird
Valk
Leopard (Treat it like a driver, not a mid or even a fairway driver)

Buzzz
Roc
Stingray
Comet

Aviar
Magnet

GOOD LUCK! Anymore questions feel free to ask.

I disagree, I stockpile things I throw because runs change and you may never find that disc in later runs. If you stockpile and change discs, you always have trade bait or can sell them. People are always looking for certain runs

How do you have all those putters on your want list but no Ion putter!?

If you really want to try all that crap, I'd look for trades with people or cheap deals.

I wasn't planning on buying all of them, I was just listing the ones I was looking at/comparing. I was thinking of at least one driver, a few mids and two putters. And I throw RHBH, if that helps at all with your suggestions. I've got a Champion Beast and a Boss that I use to drive at the moment. I use a Stratus for narrow or right doglegs and then my coyote for approach

Last edited:
Magnet or aviar. Both are very popular. But remember-there is no magic putter. Just you, your plastic, a basket, and some practice time.

Leopard and Stingray are great. I think the Stingray is one of the best discs ever made.

Drivers:
Teebird - seems to be a staple in almost everyones bag

Mids -
Z or ESP buzzz
X comet
(these should cover almost every possible mid shot)

Putters -
I would go to the store and see what feels best because in the end if it don't feel right in your hand then it wont work as well for you
aviar P&A is a comfortable disc for a lot of people though so its pretty safe.

If your open to suggestions then check out the latittude 64 Opto or GL River.

Hey all, I've been shopping around online and came up with a list of a bunch of discs I'd like to pick up in the near future. I'm taking votes on which ones of each type I should get and which ones I don't really need. Most of them I've never used, but have heard and read great things about. Thanks in advance for your input.

Nuke for big D
Katana
Teebird - Dependable Fairway Driver
Valkyrie
Groove

Roc - Everything in the 200'-275' range
Buzzz
Mako
Stingray
Skeeter
Leopard - Understable TeeBird
Comet

Magnet
Aviar P +A - Putt and Approach
Dart
Aero
Sonic
P1

All you need are these five molds.

Last edited:
Roc1 I wasn't suggesting not stockpiling a certain disc (if anything I think that is a wise idea if you have one you really like). But I think by stockpile he means "Buy a bunch of different stuff to try". If there was someone building a collection of Grooves I think many people here would gladly sell theirs to assist said person :popcorn:.

I would go to the store and see what feels best because in the end if it don't feel right in your hand then it wont work as well for you

Magnet or aviar. Both are very popular. But remember-there is no magic putter. Just you, your plastic, a basket, and some practice time.

These are great tips when it comes to putters. I feel like finding a putter you like and developing a style/form for putting is one of the longest hardest process to figure out and be comfortable with. My girlfriend bought an Ion at The Throw Shop after holding 6-8 diff putters (and testing some of them out in store:thmbup:) so checking them out where you buy them is usually a good idea. Also when buying pick bright easy to see colors... they're easier to find in trees and brush.

Latest posts