• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stolen Baskets!!

NPCTour

Birdie Member
Jacksonville, AR There were 3 baskets stolen from Dupree Park Last week!!. C'mon for real??? It's a shame that people in this world do such things to disc golf parks. As if disc golf parks were easy to be approved and put in, someone goes out and steals baskets. The park has only been there for about 3 years.

Burns Park has been there for 20+ years and I haven't heard of anything being stolen there. There is 36 baskets at that park.

If anyone has heard or seen anything going on at Dupree just return the baskets. Dump them off and leave. We will put them back in their spots.

Thanks
Doug

That sucks man! The course I learned how to play on had a couple of baskets that always notoriously disappeared...but 3 holes at once? Man that's frusterating! I feel for you buddy and good luck!

shouldnt be to long before someones hears about a backyard course at someones house, i hope they find these d.b.s why would rather play in the yard when you can go to a 36 hole course.

Yeah, scour the Craigslist for baskets I guess and see if you can't catch these low lifes.

I have wondered about this too...if the damn things had a serial number punched in somewhere it sure would be nice.

Are these baskets cemented into the ground or on stands with wheels? I've seen one course I go to that has the stands with wheels...some are staked to the ground some aren't. I could see stealing the wheeled ones....but if they are cemented....they are pretty persistent thieves.....especially because now they have to cement a post set up at home and wait a week...

If the ones stolen were ones that need cement....you could maybe check home depot/ hardware stores for recent cement purchases combined with post hole diggers.

I wonder if the people that stole them are disc golfers. Maybe I'm just naive, but I would think that a disc golfer would want their local course to be left intact. If it was a disc golfer, I think it would be teens or someone that doesn't understand that disc golf is still not that popular compared to other mainstream sports, so funding for the sport is harder to come by.

I'm lucky that I currently live in a very low crime area, the only problem I've seen at our courses is broken beer bottles on the cement pads. :(

i think buying better padlocks like those top dollar ones they sell at storage sheds would help , if your gonna buy a 350 dollar basket they could maybe not buy the locks at the dollar store .

if you but good locks they bastards are gonna have to bring a grinder instaed of bolt cutters and most courses dont have too many holes with electrical access plus grinders are kinda noisy.

About a week ago someone took the Hole #1 basket at Wilson-Tuscarora State Park. It's a shame.

slightly OT but at my home course one of the baskets got smashed by a car. Or a truck. Some kinda vehicle. There were tire tracks directly over the basket, with another set right next to it. Looks like somebody was racing... The course is Druid Hill in Baltimore, so you have to expect a little craziness from time to time. It is smack-dab in the middle of the city.

Fortunately that hole (#11) has two baskets so they just moved the long one into one of the two shorter positions. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, the post was bent at least 50 or 60 degrees and a good portion of the basket was actually stuck in the ground.

what kinda baskets are getting stolen?!?! ones with wheels/ stands or cemented ones?

I have never seen any baskets on a permanent course that were on wheels. I guess I haven't really played that many, but I have never seen pictures or anything of baskets with wheels, so I'm going to guess they were not on wheels. Whether or not they had cement is another story, most that I have seen not cemented either, just placed in the pole hole and locked into place.

What I mean by wheels:
acc_chnstr_stnd_lg.jpg

what kinda baskets are getting stolen?!?! ones with wheels/ stands or cemented ones?
I don't know about the course in question, but generally the kind of baskets that get stolen most often don't have wheels nor are the kind that are permafixed in cement. They are planted into a sleeve dug into the ground and padlocked for security (apparently in this case not secure enough). This way the basket can be moved to different positions to give a hole different looks.

And as I've said before. Someone who could invent a small and economical GPS locator device which could be attached to things like a polehole could make a mint, not to mention put an end to crap like this. At $25/each or less they'd be well worth the investment.

Latest posts