• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Straddle putt

I tried it for awhile but I plateaued really quickly. I usually only use it for getting around trees and stuff.

I have noticed a lot of older guys that only straddle putt and for the most part they are dead on. kinda makes me wonder if I should try it

They're probably dead on cause they've been playing/practicing it for so long.
I find you have to be very weary of your "hinges" (ie shoulders) and keeping your arm moving in line with the pin. So when you want more distance in your putt, you have to putt higher so it lofts in. It works when you know the height and other factors. Not the best if you're not good/experienced at telling those things.

I used to straddle putt only when forced to do so due to obstacles or my lie. I noticed that whenever i did i rarely missed my putt, so i then started using that stance for all my putts. It's definitely more accurate for me but i don't have near the range that i do when using my staggered stance. Now i use whichever style that the putt calls for and my putting game is now better than ever.

I'm pretty good with a straddle putt at short range. I feel like it's the type of putt that has very little movement except for the pendulum arm, which aids in accuracy.

Ya I feel it has made my accuracy so much better just keep that arm straight bend down an pop right back up. What's odd is I favor the straddle putt from 20 ft to 40 ft an the 20ft to 30ft range I have been knocking um down. But any thing under 20 seems like I'm better with a stagerd stance.

I only straddle putt if I need to get a look around a tree. I find, at least for me, that straddle putts are more conducive to hyzer releases and must be lofted a bit which makes a touchy shot.

So yep... only if I need to shoot from behind a tree.

I practice both straddle and staggered stance pretty equally. During a round I go with whichever is more comfortable. At around 40' I switch to an anny putt.

Does anyone here only straddle putt? I love straddle putting it has turned my putting game around for the best.

nope, but it is my primary method. i will switch to an inline stance when i'm far out. i even do an inline putt when i'm doing long approaches so i feel i get consistent practice with both. of course i do practice straddle jump putts too, in case i'm stuck behind a tree and far away. or i'll do a short flick.

anyway.

nope, i tried only straddle and soon found that i lost a lot of control on the longer putts, outside 50-60'.

I agree with most on what ever the lie/ putt calls for.... I guess I must be doing a spin/straddle put as I straddle for low ceiling putts. Add a little wrist to a straddle putt and it easy to get low straight putts. I can laser a light weight wedge under some low hanging branches for 50 ft easily. I also prefer to straddle for uphill putting

I straddle out to about 30 feet. Beyond that I loose too much height. But for me straddle has greatly improved my putting.

It seems to be helping me keep the 20 footers straight. Sometimes I line up and feel like I'm going around my leg on a staggered stance. At least with the straddle, I go right at it.

I changed to straddle putt in the last year. It has significantly improved my game. But I don't use pendulum style. I straddle and spin putt from my left pec. On anything over 40 ft or so I use same method but with jump putt. It's ugly but works for me which I think is key. Don't worry about what works for others just find something that works for you.

Nah, I prefer a more comfortable staggered stance most of the time but my putting appears to be dead equal either way.

I straddle whenever there is anything funny with the lie, like up/downhill, around a tree or whatever that makes a basic staggered stance uncomfortable. Schusterick told me in a clinic that he does that uphill too. Great advice. Another nugget was to just remember to drop down low enough before you go, and you will hit it.

Seriously, when you think you are low, go another few inches. Get you over that rim no problem.

Shorter ranges and with good lie, I will pitch putt as normal from a staggered stance. But really, think about it, how many times in your basic round, will you have a 100% hassle-free stance? Having at least some kind of game with straddle putting will make your scores drop.