• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Straight-ish fairway suggestions?

Jbultman

Birdie Member
Looking for a fairway disc from DD to put in my bag between a discmania c-line fd and a c-line pd. Escape? Convict? Thief? Etc..
Preferably little to slight turn and reilable fade.
Average distance with fd 340, and pd 350.
Thanks

Last edited:
At that distance, an Escape might be more straight out of the box, but if you can take the time to beat up a Convict a little bit it might be the straightest fairway driver in DD's stable for your arm speed. Both of them should fall between the FD and PD for you, but the Escape will be a little more on the understable side of that gap while the Convict is a little more towards the overstable side.

I don't recommend the Thief because that will probably act quite understable for you. You could definitely make it fly straight on shots under 300', but at that distance you should probably just throw the FD that you've already got some practice with.

Yeah, that's perfect^^ escape for right now convict if you wanna beat it up. Getaway if you need more stability. Orrrrr, and I'm just going out on a limb here DM makes a lot of discs in between those two slots. FD2, CD2 are both good options.

Yeah either Escape or Convict. My problem with the Convict is it kind of acts like it's stable-ish, but can't handle any wind. So in some situations it might seem like it's going to be ok, but you should really throw the PD. The Escape will be maybe more like the HSS of the FD but with more speed and more fade...I haven't thrown a beat in one for a long time though so I don't know how flippy they get. I think the real answer is CD2 since you're throwing Discmania already, seems pretty predictable.

Good advice already.

I think Convict if DD

Mine isn't really that beat in and it's pretty darn straight. I have experience with Escape too but I'm a little confused on it currently. I had an Escape that seemed like had that straight"forever" no fade flight very quickly out of box but newest one I have has a little more - or seems like a lot more- bite at the end. So, it's taken my brain a little while to rewire but I'm finally starting to realize and trust the Convict as my straight disc and have been using it exclusively. I might get a little turn -not much at all - and minimal fade out of it (late and minimal)... More fade than old Escape but straight is truly end result.

I might just need to beat the Escape in but hard when you don't throw it. I'm really gelling with my Convict. Can make it work some lines too.

I'm betting I throw similar distances, maybe a little less for reference.

Disclaimer: I've never thrown a PD or FD so I'm only guessing Convict would fall in middle in terms of stability. Though coincidentally I was wanting to try both really. I'll be curious how things work out for you.

Last edited:
Try an Explorer. It's not DD's but it's Lat64's so it's made in same place. I've not thrown a Convict but if I remember it correctly, some one said that Convict is bit less stable than Explorer. Explorer is definitely straight flying fairway driver. I throw it around 330-350 with hyzerflips.

My problem with the Convict is it kind of acts like it's stable-ish, but can't handle any wind.

I've noticed this even with my noodle arm. Even with only 300' of power and a 15 mph headwind, a fresh Fluid Convict flipped on me and didn't come back. Yet it acts slightly OS with no wind. Weird disc.

Try an Explorer. It's not DD's but it's Lat64's so it's made in same place. I've not thrown a Convict but if I remember it correctly, some one said that Convict is bit less stable than Explorer.

Explorers are a bit slower but may work. By most accounts they're basically glidey, mellow Teebirds.

I don't recommend the Thief because that will probably act quite understable for you. You could definitely make it fly straight on shots under 300', but at that distance you should probably just throw the FD that you've already got some practice with.

Having bagged both, the Thief is very similar to the FD, but with a touch less glide.

Yeah either Escape or Convict. My problem with the Convict is it kind of acts like it's stable-ish, but can't handle any wind. So in some situations it might seem like it's going to be ok, but you should really throw the PD. The Escape will be maybe more like the HSS of the FD but with more speed and more fade...I haven't thrown a beat in one for a long time though so I don't know how flippy they get. I think the real answer is CD2 since you're throwing Discmania already, seems pretty predictable.

^^^ This.

Most of the above advice seems spot on to me. I never clicked with the Convict but have had good luck with the Getaway so far (it's new to my bag and new in general). I don't have as much arm as you do but the Thief was too understable even for me.
Both the Escape and Getaway bomb for me when thrown properly - the Getaway fades more reliably

One other suggestion, though it's a Lat64 disc: the Falchion. Straight with great glide.

If a PD and an FD are within 10' of each other for you, what gap are you hoping to fill?

Exactly my thought... Gotta hit that 5' gap?

Personally I throw a lot of shots with both FDs and PDs (my two main drivers) but for anything inbetween I go with a Thunderbird.

If a PD and an FD are within 10' of each other for you, what gap are you hoping to fill?

Exactly my thought... Gotta hit that 5' gap?

Personally I throw a lot of shots with both FDs and PDs (my two main drivers) but for anything inbetween I go with a Thunderbird.

I assumed OP felt there was a stability gap rather than distance gap between his PD and FD...

I haven't bagged a PD for a long time, Most of my fairways are speed 7 So I use a Teebird for that slot. I do have a Convict and Saint and Saint Pro that I am constantly putting in and removing from my bag. Shots for the Saint and Saint Pro would be covered by Either the FD or Star Eagle or Star Teebird.

On one hand I use the Convict as just a bit longer and bit more stable FD. I am constantly wondering if I should be trying out a Star Thunderbird instead. So, off the shelf the Convict felt more OS than an FD but not like a new PD. Like all Trilogy it seems to season quicker than Innova star or champ. I'm not sure it really fits between the FD and PD as for me is just a slightly longer FD, maybe a bit more controllable... It doesn't like wind as have been said but neither does the FD, where the FD can be fun in a tailwind the Convict doesn't seem to gain much.

So... In my bag what I place in stability between the MF Teebird and C-line FD? A Beat Star Teebird or a Seasoned Star Eagle. The eagle has about the same turn as the FD but more fade than either and the Star Teebird has more HSS than the FD but both have very little fade. Makes me think a Seasoned Star Thunderbird would fit nicely between the FD and PD.

So... In my bag what I place in stability between the MF Teebird and C-line FD? A Beat Star Teebird or a Seasoned Star Eagle. The eagle has about the same turn as the FD but more fade than either and the Star Teebird has more HSS than the FD but both have very little fade. Makes me think a Seasoned Star Thunderbird would fit nicely between the FD and PD.

I have only thrown the Star Thunderbirds that first came out and where very OS, like an FD3 or so. Out of the box I think you want Gstar if you like that plastic, otherwise a worn in Champ Thunderbird. When worn in they hold straight at lower power than the PD, and I would say is a little slower and a little more glide but very similar distance and slot. Difference is PD likes low hard lines and I feel pushes forward in the fade, whereas Thunderbird holds a gliding sweeping fade...great for high open placement hyzers. When fresh I feel that a Champ Thunderbird and a PD will overlap far too much, it's an either/or thing depending on preference, but PD gets an advantage in wind and for high power throwers. Then again some people bag a ton of PD's so I'm sure some people get away with both very easily. I will say a beat in Champ Thunderbird and a fresh one are two different slots if you can throw them 330+ for sure.

FWIW I think a beat in Thunderbird does almost anything a Convict can do and is 10x more predictable in the wind. Convict is very fun to throw but I just don't trust them at all.

A lot going on here. Lots of discs fit between the FD and PD. I'd reccomend dropping the DD idea and just look at some flight charts. Escape, Convict, Getaway all DD discs that fit the bill. CD2, Thundy, TB3, FL even for Innova, DM. Mantis, Undertaker, Zombee, Xpress for Discraft. I'll get obscure and throw out some crazy randoms Pipeline, Assassin, Ninja, Banzai, Falk, Phenom. Happy hunting young Padawan.

Buy a 175 Recycled Stag. They are workable and depending on the line can manage most directions. Plus they straight bomb for a smaller rimmed disc.