• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretching / Warm-ups

BADman

Eagle Member
Ive played about five rounds of 18 in the last four days, and I my pulling arm, and specifically right below my right deltoid been pretty sore yesterday and today, my question to all of you is this:

Do you do any stretching before driving? Do you warm up your long pulls?

I think it bugged me a lot today when I went for a long hyzer off the first tee pad without stretching, and very few practice putts.

Definitely. I'm always annoyed at the people that pull up and go straight from their cars to #1's teebox. They always seem to show up right before I am finished warming up.

When I can I like to start out just throwing my putters getting everything loosened up. Then I putt for a while getting even more loose. While I am doing all this I am also stretching out my arms and legs.

i started doing 5 minutes of various stretches before playing and putting for another 5 or 10 minutes. helps a lot to make me more comfortable throwing during the round.

this is a really great video by liz carr on warming up

Stretching is crucial if I hope to have an enjoyable round. I have an undiagnosed back issue that becomes aggravatingly painful if I don't get my stretch routine in before teeing off. Further, it's the type of problem that lingers for days when it flares up. It's gotten to the point where in time-crunch situations I'll actually cut a couple of holes to make time to stretch.

Also, as of today, I'm trying to get a short jog in before my round to warm up and get my body moving. Today's results were very encouraging. I stepped to the first pad feeling loose and comfortable. My score might not have reflected it, but my body felt really good.

Definitely stretch, you're playing a sport, if you stretch, you'll play better.

I spend about 20 min stretching, light jog, putting and putter throws, then I can rip one!

Def agree with stretching, if nothing else at least get the arms and shoulders stretched.

I pulled a muscle in my shoulder after I decided to throw a short hole immediately after getting out of the car. Threw a Boss as hard as I could and was barely able to throw for a week. After a couple of days could throw and drove about an extra 50' due to no longer strong arming... Lesson learned the hard way.

If you're getting sore that easily, there's probably two problems. One is that your form is not ideal, make sure you think about pulling fast and smooth rather than hard. Two, a little stretching and warming up at the beginning of a long day can definitely help.

I windmill my arm around with my water bottle as a weight. That's it!!

do some stretches...will promote long-term flexibility and longevity!

I messed up my elbow and didn't play for three weeks. Next time I went out, I told myself I had to take it easy. Threw just as far with half the effort.

i like to stretch for about 10 minutes or less before playing. I usually stretch the legs, arms, shoulders, back, and just try to loosen up a bit before a game.

i always stretch and here's two reasons why.

1) as somebody already said it's a sport. a sport where you are using multiple mechanical parts of your body to achieve a desired affect. the looser those parts are the better you will perform.

2) i was stretching one time before playing at tee 1 and two dudes walked up and asked if they could go ahead. i told them to go ahead and play. after they threw i heard them laughing and making jokes that i was stretching to play disc golf. when i got to third tee they were waiting on a larger group. when it was there turn one of the guys went up to tee off on a 600' hole. he did a bit of a run up and had a lot of extension in his throw which went off pretty good.. but right after he fell over on the ground yelling because he just pulled his groin muscle.

I am big believer in stretching before any type of activity, work or play. You will feel better and are less prone to injury.

I have been a little sore the past week or so, probably due to the lack of activity in the Winter months. I went from playing 1-2 rounds per week to playing 12 out of the last 14 days. Some of those days 36+ holes were played and I was feeling it!

@dudiablo: your sig is gold, pure gold. :clap:

I am big believer in stretching before any type of activity, work or play. You will feel better and are less prone to injury.

exactly. its good to get the blood flowing before you stretch too, otherwise your stretching dead muscles. you can actually pull muscles by stretching that way. i like to do a few jumps and some sort of weird looking jumping jacks. people laugh until i park hole 1. :thmbup:

I wish I had the sense to stretch before my rounds. I do try to warm up a little by throwing easy before trying to throw a hard drive. Still stretching is always a good idea. Just don't overdo it, and as notbob says, don't stretch when you're totally cold.

I always try to stretch, but mostly just my throwing arm & back n shoulders. I didn't know about the cold stretching though, but it makes perfect sense. I'll try to remember that for my next round. Good info, thanks.

Latest posts