• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stretching

diction10

I was wondering if anyone on here has any special stretches they do before starting a round, specifically for the back.

I have pretty chronic bad low back pain that normally I just suck up and play with but lately after every round my back has been so tight that it hurts for days and prevents me from playing until at least a week after I play. I try and stretch my arms, legs and back as best I can before I start playing but evidently I'm not stretching well enough.

Do most people here stretch a lot before a round or just start throwing right away? Anyone else have low back pain they deal with also?

Thanks! :clap:

I stretch my wallet, I open it really wide to buy stuff at the pro shop trailer, fundraiser items, entry fees, and occasionally hole sponsorship.

I do not stretch, sometimes I do not warm up if I am helping run the tourney. Not warming up clearly affects my game.

Have you tried stretching after the round? I try to stretch after long days and that seems to help quite a bit with keeping legs and back from tightening up. Before the round I get more out of a warm up like a light jog than I do from stretching cold muscles.

Last edited:
Odds are you need to work on your core strength and flexibility in your legs and hips at home or at the gym. A few simple stretches at the course before a round won't do much if you're having back pain that's lasting multiple days, though it is important to get limber before your rounds as well. Posting a video of your technique for analysis could help identify any flaws that could be contributing to your back pain.

Sorry there isn't a simple answer, but a more comprehensive approach to fitness is almost always the solution to back pain problems!

I have a bad shoulder, so I always stretch before and after rounds, and it definitely helps the soreness as well as the stamina of my shoulder for multiple rounds

I may be a noob to DG but not to fitness. I will agree (static) stretching when cold is bad, but you should definitely do some dynamic stretching before a round like arm swings and circles to get the blood pumping. I also like to do core twists and lunges or just whatever feels tight. Also if you have one of those gyroscopic powerballs i find those to be great for my forearms and shoulders. Then to do long static stretches after the round, like 15-30 second holds at least IMO. Also don't forget to stay hydrated, that can have a greater impact than some might think.

Yeah, you're just a GYM teacher. Screw you! ;)

If you are bouncing or doing a stretching routine it is best to do a light warm up, but I just added that because some light stretching is better than none if you are not going to warm up.
You are not wrong I was just being overly technical. In very cold weather or when I am sore I will stretch lightly before the warm up, then warm up, then do a full 15 minutes of stretching.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone on here has any special stretches they do before starting a round, specifically for the back.

I have pretty chronic bad low back pain that normally I just suck up and play with but lately after every round my back has been so tight that it hurts for days and prevents me from playing until at least a week after I play. I try and stretch my arms, legs and back as best I can before I start playing but evidently I'm not stretching well enough.

Do most people here stretch a lot before a round or just start throwing right away? Anyone else have low back pain they deal with also?

Nice first post. Welcome to the site.

I always warm up before a round, or practice. I stretch out, and throw some light tosses, then work up to a couple full drives before the first tee.

I've also got back problems (fractured some vertebrae in my back and did a ton of muscle damage a few years ago). A short slow jog, then some light core twisting (arms held out in front, rotate left and right for a minute or so), then some holds targeted on stretching out my back, both ways for 15 seconds in each position). After that I do some towel drills, starting with a standstill, then adding the x step, and finishing with my full run up. Most importantly, at least for me, to avoid back pain- Stretch after your play. I take out the jog, do a few more holds, and a lot more core twisting. Also, if there's a delay during a round, I'm doing my waiting by twisting around and keeping my back loose.

Yes.

But I'm old and creaky and stretching is a necessity. Though I know you shouldn't stretch cold, I must do light stretching cold because I otherwise I'm too tight to warm up to stretch. My issues are both knees and my shoulder.

One thing you should do---one thing that I should do---is stretch regularly. Before playing (after warmup), after playing, daily. More flexibility = less injuries.

One specific note for this post is that lower back pain is sometimes caused or aggravated by tight hamstrings. Perhaps not intuitive, but it is.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, but I've had lots of doctors prescribe stretching for my ailments over the years.

Welcome to the site! Have you ever gone to a chiropractor? They aren't a cure-all, but if your back is locked up, 1-3 visits can help get your back muscles unlocked, especially if the chiro uses electronic stimulation or massage before the adjustment.

That said, once you've done that, I'd suggest these streches, especially the #5 and the ones on the bottom row:
http://www.galwaytriathlonclub.com/index.php/coaching-corner/stretching/

I used to pull my back 1-2 times a year bad enough where I had trouble sitting/walking without pain. I do those stretches in the diagram DAILY and right before I play, as well as DavidSauls ^^^ suggestion to stretch hamstrings, and I haven't had a bad injury for a few years. I still have a low level of discomfort after a lot of throwing, but if you have a weak back like I do, all that twisting and torquing is going to have an impact. Also, I don't go to the chiro much, but a few times a year helps me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doc or a chiro, this is my experience. YMMV.

Latest posts