• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling

Both of you need to turn the hips/shoulder back almost 90 degrees further at the plant and get/keep your upper arm/elbow away from your chest, hunter a bit more. You both let your elbow get too close to the chest(hugging/wrapping yourself), so your elbow doesn't out in front of the front shoulder before extending which adds a lot of distance and moves your hit point like a foot further forward. Hunter is also noticeably swinging early before the plant foot has landing and braced any weight.

Both of you need to turn the hips/shoulder back almost 90 degrees further at the plant and get/keep your upper arm/elbow away from your chest, hunter a bit more. You both let your elbow get too close to the chest(hugging/wrapping yourself), so your elbow doesn't out in front of the front shoulder before extending which adds a lot of distance and moves your hit point like a foot further forward. Hunter is also noticeably swinging early before the plant foot has landing and braced any weight.

Thanks Sidewinder. Very detailed. I will post some videos tomorrow hopefully after we do some field work. Have any videos specifically showing the elbow out in front?

The easiest way to get good is just study different ways of throwing the way you wanna throw, watch the videos, incorporate what you learned then after that drop everything you learned and just chuck them in your natural way. Eventually you will come to an equilibrium of a mixed style of your natural way and what you see the pros do.

Something me and my friends started doing was take all the step out of it, repeat a mantra with the practice swings and start chucking disks. Do you use a practice swing? Remember its golf, just like in ball golf they use practice swings to perfect their technique before stepping up to the ball, it works the same way in discgolf. I'd say chucking discs should be 90% practice swings and 10% chucking. Without the practice swings the form suffers.

Also it helps to have a buddy, me and my friends are always looking at each other's form and talking about variations and checking if we are swinging our arms properly so there is less hyzer, anhyzer, nose up, stuff like that. Its essentially like posting 100 vids of yourself on here everytime you play, just helps tremendously.

Last edited:
I was sorta in your position when I started playing, Im a big guy 6' 230. I took peoples advice on here and ditched all my high speed drivers. Helped my game immensely, and still dont use high speed with the exception of my Villain which i just got 2 weeks ago, for spike hyzers and big skips. Because I used mids only for so long, my form improved and now I can throw my fairway/control drivers around 425. Ditch highspeed until your form improves and you are ready. And plus its always nice when you outdrive a bunch of huckers with a boss/nuke/groove with your buzz.

I'm in the same boat. I rarely use my high speed drivers. I've been doing some time in the field which is helping me out a lot as well.

Yeah. You're swingin way too early to get the elbow forward and keep the disc on a straight line. It will probably take time to loosen up and figure out how late you should add any power to the swing. Your aiming will also change and feel you are throwing backwards toward your right.

Yeah. You're swingin way too early to get the elbow forward and keep the disc on a straight line. It will probably take time to loosen up and figure out how late you should add any power to the swing. Your aiming will also change and feel you are throwing backwards toward your right.

Thanks. I realize it's going to take some time to fix my form and build that muscle memory needed to realize I'm coming through right. Honestly was happy with that 310 on my midrange. I had a shot for birdie on a decently long par 3. Going to hopefully play a couple rounds later today, and do some field work later this week! Will post videos when I can. Going to also start doing those right peck drills!

Latest posts