• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuck at 260'

Hmm that is strange. Could be a nose up thing. A 5' high laser to 345'ish is no joke, that's a smash, so you definitely got a hold of it and that was definitely nose down.

The other thing is if you are throwing high-ish speed drivers that are supposed to be somewhat understable for those longer shots, maybe you just got them over a speed barrier that really woke them up. There's certain discs where if you have just a smidge more velocity they suddenly carry another 20-30' since they turn just that bit more and they wait longer to fade.

Also are you confidently throwing your putters/mids the same way as drivers? I would expect 310-320'ish out of mids, definitely easy 300' with that range, and 280'ish out of putters reliably.

Hmm that is strange. Could be a nose up thing. A 5' high laser to 345'ish is no joke, that's a smash, so you definitely got a hold of it and that was definitely nose down.

The other thing is if you are throwing high-ish speed drivers that are supposed to be somewhat understable for those longer shots, maybe you just got them over a speed barrier that really woke them up. There's certain discs where if you have just a smidge more velocity they suddenly carry another 20-30' since they turn just that bit more and they wait longer to fade.

Also are you confidently throwing your putters/mids the same way as drivers? I would expect 310-320'ish out of mids, definitely easy 300' with that range, and 280'ish out of putters reliably.

Yeah all three unusually-long throws I had on the day were with a new 169g Star Tern I just started bagging for fun, and I don't think any of them got more than 10' off the ground. I wasn't really throwing putters or mids with the same low throw, and they were closer to what I'd expect for my noodle arm: 230-ish with putters and 260 or so with my mids. Only thing I did differently for the Tern was a minor grip change, moving the thumb a little closer to the center of the flight plate and intentionally pinching it down on the tip of the index finger.

Play around with the grip a little then. I don't think it's necessary to have a pinch point between thumb/index...the disc doesn't need to pivot directly between those fingers. But make sure what you're doing is comfortable and allowing nose down flights

I'm not surprised that was with a Tern, it could be a combination of nose down and just an extra couple MPH making a MASSIVE difference. But that also shows you what potential you have for distance.

Putters/mids definitely need more height though. Give them a good 15' of air, making sure they are nose down still. If they aren't slowing down and at least dropping to the left a little as they are landing then you could have gave them more time to fly.

Back for more abuse. I ran a league this year and spent most of my time fixing my putting, which did actually get a little better. But my drives are still a mess. Here's kinda what they generally look like now.

Doing some self-criticism:

Positives
- I've stopped flying over my plant foot, and am mostly finishing upright.
- I'm moving in more of a straight line instead of zig-zagging all over the tee pad
- I tried switching to a stiff upper arm, which looks like it's reduced rounding. It almost looks like the disc is getting to the power pocket (sort of). Note that I don't get the elbow quite as far forward as some suggest. This was per Philo's recommendation to me
- Plant foot looks to be closed

Negatives
- Still tilting my spine forward, though not as bad as I was previously
- I'm still reaching back way too high. It's causing some very obvious swooping
- Looks like I'm turning back too soon. Rear foot looks to be turned too far backward
- Not squeezing my knees together
- Timing with my hips looks to be jacked up
- Don't know what to do with my off-arm

I'm thinking of going back to standstill to start correcting for the off-season. Where should I start?

Yeah, things are generally getting better, but fundamentally the way you are shifting your weight is incorrect and flat footed. You turn your front leg open before you plant and are landing on your front heel before your instep plants and your rear heel is still on ground, and you end up slamming into your front leg with hyperextended knee instead of settling into your front leg "from behind you". This is usually a psychological barrier and easier to work on and build trust from a "standstill" or 1 step and perpetual motion drills moving back and forth.

After 4 years of struggling to throw over 330, I finally decided to blow up my form and start over from scratch. It's going to be a painful next few months, but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm starting with the Beto drill (Wardens only) and recently started adding a single step. At the end of my last session I noticed that I seem to get a lot more exit speed when I take a more diagonal step than toward the target. Is that normal? What could be causing that? Is it forcing me to throw with a more closed shoulder maybe?

Maybe more redirection and closed shoulder. Right pec drill never really worked for me as a drill, but the info/concepts in it and the thread helped a lot.

Been working almost exclusively from the 1-step. Actually got some video today.

For the sake of working on my footwork, I've tried copying Seppo's incomplete reachback. The diagonal step is intentional, seems to help with the closed shoulder. The 1-step has all but eliminated the spine tilt, but I'm not sure if my weight shift is correct or not.

Ultimately, it's about disc speed at release.

Looks like you are achieving a pretty good speed from your arm motion.

What distance do you feel you are accurate at? Something 75-80% power? I've been thinking that working on that level of effort could be key to extending max distance. The reason being is at max accuracy distance you are doing things right—at least based on outcome.

You keep throwing at max accuracy distance and max distance will increase quickl.

Too much micromanaging going on there. How would it look if you just throw the disc without thinking your grip, elbow, lead leg, rear arm etc. Pick a disc in a comfortable way, relax, step and swing.

After a whole lot of time away and doing other things, I'm back and am looking to clean up my form. I've taken the painful step of starting over just throwing putters from standstill. Biggest two changes were keeping my front shoulder forward instead of pulling it back and T-Rexing, and keeping a loose wrist until the very end. I'm finally feeling the weight of the disc when I throw. Also trying to focus on bracing and not launching my upper body over my feet. After just 2 field work sessions, I'm already throwing as far or farther from standstill than I previously did using a run up.

My question is: how far should I be throwing putters and mids from standstill before moving on to a one-step? For reference, I'm throwing my Wardens 220-245', and my Comet & MD 240-265'.

There is no magic distance marker, everyone is built different. Play around with different kinds of steps, forward, reverse, sideways.

After a whole lot of time away and doing other things, I'm back and am looking to clean up my form. I've taken the painful step of starting over just throwing putters from standstill. Biggest two changes were keeping my front shoulder forward instead of pulling it back and T-Rexing, and keeping a loose wrist until the very end. I'm finally feeling the weight of the disc when I throw. Also trying to focus on bracing and not launching my upper body over my feet. After just 2 field work sessions, I'm already throwing as far or farther from standstill than I previously did using a run up.

My question is: how far should I be throwing putters and mids from standstill before moving on to a one-step? For reference, I'm throwing my Wardens 220-245', and my Comet & MD 240-265'.
Sound like pretty good throws for those discs IMO.

The real positive is you are getting different results from the two types of discs. That implies you are throwing flat or even nose down, so you should be able to go up in speed and continue to see progression.

Latest posts