• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

stuck between putting styles..

plastic cannon

* Ace Member *
so i used to lob my putters at the unit, now im trying to develop a spin putt because i feel like im more accurate that way. so now when im playing a round, i get confused on what putt to throw. ive got a big tourney on saturday and dont want to have this problem. any advice on better spin put technique/strategy?

You are the first one I ever hear going from loft to spin putt ^^ Usualy, people think that loft is more precise.

Anyway, stick with one. No matter which. Changing back and forth will kill your putting game. Decide on what style you want to use and stick with it.

Changing back and forth will kill your putting game. Decide on what style you want to use and stick with it.

Eh, maybe. I switch between pitch putting and spin putting depending on the situation. I also will change my stance between a stradle, and a stagger stance. My putting has improved greatly now that I have a variety of options depending on the terrain, obstacles, and wind. Just step up to the putt and go with whatever is comfortable at the time.

Part of your problem is also the fact that you have only been playing 6 months or so. I don't mean that to be insulting. I'm pretty sure you never get fully comfortable with a putting style until at least year 1 or 2. Just keep trying different styles until you get into a comfortable groove. Don't limit yourself to just one type of putt.

Last edited:
This happened to me for the last couple of weeks where I have been trying to develop a loft putt and my body didn't quite know what to do. Stuck in-between push and spin. Finally in the last couple of days after a solid month on the practice basket the push putt has been ingrained. Nate Doss has a pretty good spin putt look at some of his videos.

And as far as your tourney don't think about how you should be putting. Just get in tune with the chains and disc,visualize your putt going in. And your body will make the best kind of putt it knows how to do.

I don't think I would concentrate on what type of putt you take.. focus on the line you want to hit and then hit it... go with what is comfortable for the tournament and whatever line you visualize when you step up to the putt go with it. You can tinker with different styles after the tournament, but when it gets close to a big event, I always stop toying with my game and find what is comfortable to me at the time and go with it. Putting is very touchy when you don't have much experience, going from very good days, to very bad days. The day of, make sure you get out a little earlier and practice putting from a range you know you're going to hit 9/10 or better and make putts to get confidence up... starting a day by making putts is the best thing you can do for confidence. If you get out and miss the first two putts of the day during the tourney, that gets in your head and could possibly ruin your round. So, pick one style that works, get out early and make putts using that style, and just go with it and you'll be better off

You aren't stuck, you are in a good place. It's good to be able to change your putting style as the situation dictates.

Unless you only play wide open and fairly flat courses.

Once you get good at either spin putting or pitch putting you should be able to do the other reasonably well. Whichever style you choose for a given putt, you have to maintain a good tempo, keep the quickness at the very end of your stroke to get the disc to pop out of your hand smoothly.

Almost everyone I see who fails at putting has a really slow "hit" on their putts because they're not committed, and their rhythm sucks. I know I see a lot of people who think they're push putters but really they use almost exclusively wrist and arm to power the shot, get no finger spring or weight shift/shoulder push, and just lob ugly spin putts at the basket.

I have somewhat the same problem.
I push putt or spin putt depending on distance and wind.
I push putt from around 24' in. I cannot get any accuracy outside 24' with a straddle push putt.

I use a foot-forward spin putt from 25' out because I get better accuracy and it's more consistent.

The way I have resolved this is to use a very different pre-shot routine and stance depending on which method I am using.

Who knows? I may change again, but this is working for me now.

I went from spin to push and now I'm back to spin. I just feel more confident spin putting, and, as said above, putting is a lot of about comfort and confidence. Basically, find what works for you (what you are most comfortable and confident with) and stick with it for now.

I changed back after a practice round where I putted every putt using both styles on every within-the-circle putt. Not only did I make more spin putts, but I just felt better about them, too.

its pretty funny this topic was just posted, since I have been dealing with the same thing the last couple of days. I developed a new push putt, with minimal "theatrics" before I putt (i used to look like i was waving down airplanes) and it works with great success. The only issue I have is longer distance putting, so I am working a completely different type of spin putt for it, very aggressive and hard - seems to work in practice, but needs tons of field work. That all said, I am the king for changing putting styles.

One more thing to add, the different styles will work as long as it doesn't get to you. I've found in tourneys that I get a little flustered if I have a bad hole or putt and then go back to bad habits - basically, just flinging, floppy garbage at the basket. Have your head and be relaxed - either would probably work then.

Once you get good at either spin putting or pitch putting you should be able to do the other reasonably well. Whichever style you choose for a given putt, you have to maintain a good tempo, keep the quickness at the very end of your stroke to get the disc to pop out of your hand smoothly.

Almost everyone I see who fails at putting has a really slow "hit" on their putts because they're not committed, and their rhythm sucks. I know I see a lot of people who think they're push putters but really they use almost exclusively wrist and arm to power the shot, get no finger spring or weight shift/shoulder push, and just lob ugly spin putts at the basket.

This seems to ring true for me. While I'm sure it's nothing new, I've seen some wording lately that my brain understands for what I'm working through.

That last moment where the disc leaves the hand, and a moment after, is what I want to get more comfortable with (while not forgetting what I've worked on to this point! :wall: ). I have deffinately noticed how well the disc flies and the additional boost of confidence when I "pop" the disc out smoothly at the last moment.

Something that makes sense to me (spin or shovel/push) is how Feldberg described Climo's release at a putting clinic: The last part that is touching his disc at release is his palm....the last pop comes from the opening of the hand (finger spring). When I've done that right (as far as *my* feel goes) the putts have less wobble, if any, and are much more true to my intended line.

Confidence and commitment all the way through until it hits the chains...not just up until the start of the putting motion. Lately I've been concentrating on my routine leading up to the putt and in hindsight I tend to focus well all the way up to the point of release, but forget the follow through.

I hate the terms push putt and spin putt. They are way too vaque. There are probably at least 10 different things you have to be thinking about when putting and most good putters use a combination of all of these concepts to make the disc fly through the air to their target. They don't just push or spin and that's it. It's a schmorgasborg of techniques and tricks combined with mental game and muscle memory. Push putt or spin putt just makes it sound too simple. That's my rant for the week. Thanks.

thanks for all the info guys! im about to go throw a few putter rounds at my local 9 holer and try this stuff out. good stuff in here.

Go with both, utilize whatever is comfortable based on distance from the basket.

Inside the circle, probably go with the lob. If you spin putt it too close you could miss then end up doing the same putt from the other side of the basket. Spin putting is great for distance.

im going to try the lob inside, and spin outside. i have this nasty issue with nose up when spin putting though. a good friend of mine and former innova pro putts kinda nose up. its weird, but it almost always goes in.

I made this putting video a while back and posted it on here. Got some good feedback. When I putt, I lob it to the basket, with a little hyzer, but I emphasize spin because of its benefits in fighting the wind. I outlined it all in the video as well as how I practice. Here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHkHGsVpc1U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm no pro, but I'm the most consistent putter I know personally. And I think it's a pretty fundamentally sound way to put it in the bucket.

Latest posts