• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

stuck between putting styles..

Why I push...

A solid push putting motion is better IMO because it takes missing left/right out of the equation entirely. It allows the full motion to be linear, and right at the pole. Once you get a good feel/muscle memory going, you should only be missing long/short (high/low.)

Where this breaks down for me is from outside the circle, like 45 ft +. I find myslelf bringing a spin putt motion into it to cover the distance, and I tend to miss those right a lot. This is mostly mental. When practicing, you start to notice you get more distance than you think you can from a solid push putt, with good clean release.

For my own motion, I tend to miss much "smaller" when push/lob putting as well. Generally a missed putt results in no worse than a 10 foot comebacker.
When I try to spin putt from range I get too many blow-bys that leave me a spinchter-tingling 20 + foot comeback.

I actually only intentionally spin putt from like 10' in, because for me at that range, less overall motion is better...nothing says "go hang yourself in a closet" like dinking a 7 footer off the belt.

Not to be the least bit cliche but I find that Nikko Locastro has some really great putting techniques on YouTube.

Ever since I started following his concepts, my putting game has improved drastically.

Two things he focuses on -- the first is your footing... It's most important to find a comfortable stance where you feel like you're at home, nothing akward or no crazy stance that you'd have to recondition yourself to, just get a nice comfortable stance that is kind of squared up with the basket, and get consistent with this stance.

The next thing is the pendulum motion -- I've noticed Nikko has a really great pendulum motion going on, keeping his arm completely straight at the elbow and lifting his hand from his thigh and up to a plane parallel to the ground. Somehow he manages to snap his wrist at the end and get a lot of distance. I cannot snap my wrist like him, so my arm will curl in a bit at the elbow during my pendulum motion and I will snap a bit at the elbow in order to achieve the extra distance. Regardless of whether or not you can keep your arm straight at the elbow, having a nice up and down motion will keep you in a straight line for the basket.

Another big thing that has helped with my putting is VISUALIZATION! It's all in the Apex... In your head, draw a path, a line, from your body to the basket, and say "where does this disc need to be placed, at what height and how many inches to the right (or left) of the center pole do I need to place this disc in order for it to get semi-stable and crash into the chains?"

Hopefully these tips help!

Eh, maybe. I switch between pitch putting and spin putting depending on the situation. I also will change my stance between a stradle, and a stagger stance. My putting has improved greatly now that I have a variety of options depending on the terrain, obstacles, and wind. Just step up to the putt and go with whatever is comfortable at the time.

Part of your problem is also the fact that you have only been playing 6 months or so. I don't mean that to be insulting. I'm pretty sure you never get fully comfortable with a putting style until at least year 1 or 2. Just keep trying different styles until you get into a comfortable groove. Don't limit yourself to just one type of putt.
thats some good advice :thmbup: when you change styles do you ever change discs?

For awhile many players tried to convince me to stick to one putting style. I've gone back and forth on the spin and push putt. After shooting a 1000+ rating rd at the Memorial and only missing one inside the circle putt, I can say that having multiple types of putts is ideal. I believe the conditions calls for certain putts.

Push Putt - Open field areas with little to no wind, and within 25ft.

Spin Putt - Low ceiling, downhill, uphill, head wind putts.

Jump Putt - Outside the circle, open putts.

btw, my missed putt, was across the body straddle putt, having to putt between two palm trees, 12ft away. I hit middle left chain, and the disc plopped straight out.

Latest posts