• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stuck in the mud

Drewford

Pond diving is not something i plan on doing. I just wonder if after the discs have been there under water for so long if the plastic will weaken? Anybody know?

it depends on how long they have been in there and the water quality. they can also get stinky.

i wouldn't think it would have an effect on the flight of the disc... unless the water got really hot... or really cold. stinky and / or losing the stamp, you bet.

about 8-10 months and it will start to deteriorate. and quite rapidly once the process has begun

I suspect the type of plastic affects this.

We have a pond that we drag a lot of discs out of. Though they're not dated, judging from the last time the owners visited, some have been there quite a while.

It seems that champion plastic resists the water and mud well, while star plastic permanently discolors much more quickly. Something's getting absorbed.

The discoloring of the disc should be in line with what types of plastics take dyes well I would imagine.

I have a buddy who pulled a DX disc out of pond and the plastic is brittle and flaking. The water, or whatever is in the water seems to break down DX fairly quickly.

champion plastic will resist water better than star or dx. pro d is garbage before it goes in so you can imagine what its like after. I have brought back star that was jet black with nasty nate. dawn dish soap and a sponge will clean disc better than anything. I have noticed disc that have been in water for a while seem to get more under stable.

Pond diving is not something i plan on doing. I just wonder if after the discs have been there under water for so long if the plastic will weaken? Anybody know?

Nothing wrong with pond diving :). I tend to prefer discs that have been found in the water. Better grip and flight paths

I have a buddy who pulled a DX disc out of pond and the plastic is brittle and flaking. The water, or whatever is in the water seems to break down DX fairly quickly.

Decomposition of organic matter makes acid and all kinds of good stuff.

Last edited:
I've found and been called on discs that were in a creek for some time. They have a little wear and tear but I think they throw just fine. The creek is constant flowing waters down from the Mountians so I thinks it's relatively clean. Some water with less flow may grow some bacteria id stay away from.

I've found and been called on discs that were in a creek for some time. They have a little wear and tear but I think they throw just fine. The creek is constant flowing waters down from the Mountians so I thinks it's relatively clean. Some water with less flow may grow some bacteria id stay away from.

That doesn't surprise me actually. Cold clear mtn creek water is as different from warm pond water as it is from seawater. Yes, an exaggeration. But the point it valid. I have a feeling that a lot of the change from pond/mud discs has more to do with the other stuff in there than the water itself.

We found 4 discs today on 2 courses, got 2 returned no info on the other 2. The last two were found in a lake while looking for one of ours we never found so I guess we were +1 for the day.

The damage to the plastic depends on the amount of time under water and the type of plastic. Champion and Star type plastics hold up better but stain over time. Older Special Bends rot,turn black and will break much easier as does the older KC Pro stuff. DX type disc stain. You should be able to find examples at any Play it Again Sports store in the used bin.

A few weeks to a couple months might show light change but a year or more really does some nice work. Sitting under leaves has a similar effect.

A few weeks or months won't affect the discs much, aside from a serious pond funk they get during their underwater stay. DX plastic gets a little weird after a good long while in the drink, while champion and star plastics hold up very well even after longer periods. I've pulled out discs that were buried in the sediment on the creekbed that fly just fine.

In fact , my *DS came from a creek, and it's the best flying destroyer I have ever thrown.

Latest posts