• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

stumps for tee stools

rshrevo

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am getting ready to cut up a number of fallen trees on the course. since this is a very hilly course i want to use the cut up trees as stools for each of the tee pads. I am just not sure how high the stools should be. I am deciding between 24 inches high or 30 inches high. which one would you suggest i cut the logs into. I plan on sealing the top and bottom of each stool with clear epoxy to help seal them from the weather.

I am getting ready to cut up a number of fallen trees on the course. since this is a very hilly course i want to use the cut up trees as stools for each of the tee pads. I am just not sure how high the stools should be. I am deciding between 24 inches high or 30 inches high. which one would you suggest i cut the logs into. I plan on sealing the top and bottom of each stool with clear epoxy to help seal them from the weather.
Most standard chair seating heights are 16'"- 20". A general seat measurement gives around 18" in seating surface [depth]. Counter stools 24"- 26". Barstools 27"- 33".

I think going a bit higher would be great, but there is trade off between stability and size, in your situation. You don't want the risk of some backpack laden, tea toddling golfer to wobble off the stump. I think the diameter of the stumps should be an important deciding factor in the height choice.

If you have enough stumps, benches with a simple plank should be given consideration.

Please remember that stumps are temp seating. Despite your efforts they will rot, become unsightly and eventually just be in the way. Keep a plan in mind for disposal.

Was thinking about the plank also but right first i need to start with the stumps. just wasn't sure how big to cut the logs. most of the downed trees are at least 16 inches across. a few are a little bigger. one tree will take a bit to cut it is at least about 20 inches or more across. but that will be the last one cut since it is not in that much of the way and can be easily avoided. I want to use the epoxy to seal the log from weather like with did with the fist basket. we have a basket from a previous course that was a hanging basket. since we had no base for it we used nature and used a tree stump to place the basket on. he sealed the stump with epoxy to prevent the rotting of the stump. Hole 1 basket.jpg

Good plan. This works well for us. Large diameter logs laid down work well as benches if you can move them. Make the stumps the height that is best for you; experiment. Coating will certainly prolong life span. Your habitat looks like you will have replacements in future years. The basket mounting looks well done.

Good plan. This works well for us. Large diameter logs laid down work well as benches if you can move them. Make the stumps the height that is best for you; experiment. Coating will certainly prolong life span. Your habitat looks like you will have replacements in future years. The basket mounting looks well done.
Right on. This post reminded me to thank the OP. A solid bench, seat, bag stool game on a course, becomes more important to me by the year!!

We use these on our courses but mostly for setting your bag on to keep it off the ground. They're great for that purpose. Most are a bit too tall to be comfortable to sit on.