• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stupid Tree Question...

Bringing up RU4 said, about the telephone poles. It is called target fixation. Basically you are fixated so much on avoiding the trees that you end up hitting them. Focus on the flight of the disc more, and practicing should help. Either that, or aim for the tree and you will miss it. That might help too.

Also take advantage of what you have for a teepad. If there's a tree a little ways up on the left side of the fairway, then do your run up so you are throwing off of the right side of the teepad. This has helped me quite a bit with this same issue. Depending on the side of the teepad, this could be a couple feet of difference.

Your reach back & pull should be on the line you want to throw. Focus on where you position the disc and pull on the line you're throwing. Once you let go of the disc you can't control it.

hyzerbomb or thumber over the damn trees. its also quite easy to throw thumber straight forward with super flippy disc that rotates fast on small gap or super overstable disc that doesnt have time to do anything. if there is some sort of trail, you might want to try roller too. sector control is easier with these styles. with backhand or forehand you just have to know your discs and shape the line to hit the gaps. plan your playbook for par and take shorter waypoints. trying to birdie hard hole might cause double bogey or more. Playing save gives easy par.

Don't ever think: "Don't hit that tree."

Do think: "Right down the middle."

Positive thoughts. :)

Yup, this is the most important thing (plus a ton of practice throwing the consistent shot)

You have to have a consistent release point, which only practice can improve. After that, it's all about confidence and positive thinking. You have to KNOW you can hit that gap, KNOW you will hit that gap, and then accept that sometimes you won't :)

Bob Rotella would say, you have to remember that the body doesn't understand the word "don't."

So, if you're on the tee thinking "don't hit that tree," all the body hears is "hit that tree."

Pick a target on the line you do want to hit, the smaller the better (aim small, miss small,) and let your body do it's thing.

Remember, there is no spoon.

I can totally see this is my game, as well as my life. "don't stare at that" so I stare at that. "Don't hit that tree", and I hit the tree. Don't steal that car....

Curves and lines of grand designs!

Trajectory (or line) is crucial whan throwing in the woods. Your throw can be prefect but if the line is off it will not work out very well. Try to pull directly on the line to the basket (or avenue of choice).
You also mentioned trying to 'release the disc' at the right time. There is no way to do this consistantly. Instead hold the disc tight & expect the disc to rip out of your hand! Field practice will help you find this rip point & trajectory/line/angle/etc.

Unfortunately KDinIN, throwing straight is kind of the biggest issue for most disc golfers. Other than saying practice, I would agree that overhand can be really useful for getting through tight gaps. But ya, throwing straight can be tough.

First gap first, second gap second, etc.

It does no good to visualize the line of gaps 2 on, pick the perfect disc and throw it otherwise perfect except for hitting tree #1.

Honestly, with heavy trees the entire distance, at some point down the fairway, it just comes down to luck but most courses avoid that type of design.

The theory is that the drivers, having some meager control, are fully focused on what they DON'T want to hit, so...guess what?

They actually teach this in the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riding class in regards to watching the road. Your tendency is to focus on the pothole in front of you which steers your bike right into it. What they emphasize is focusing on where you want to be and not what you want to avoid.

As someone who learned that lesson the hard way, I apply the same logic to obstacles on the course. You've thrown your discs enough to know what they're going to do. Focus on the end result, not the first 20'.

They actually teach this in the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) riding class in regards to watching the road. Your tendency is to focus on the pothole in front of you which steers your bike right into it. What they emphasize is focusing on where you want to be and not what you want to avoid.

As someone who learned that lesson the hard way, I apply the same logic to obstacles on the course. You've thrown your discs enough to know what they're going to do. Focus on the end result, not the first 20'.

Or when all else fails, Pooooooolllleeeeecaaaaaatttttt!!!!

Trajectory (or line) is crucial whan throwing in the woods. Your throw can be prefect but if the line is off it will not work out very well. Try to pull directly on the line to the basket (or avenue of choice).
You also mentioned trying to 'release the disc' at the right time. There is no way to do this consistantly. Instead hold the disc tight & expect the disc to rip out of your hand! Field practice will help you find this rip point & trajectory/line/angle/etc.

I respectfully disagree about getting a "rip" on a control shot. Someone asked McBeth at what point he rips verus releases, and I believe he said he doesn't rip the shot until 350 ft (I am too lazy to look up the post right now). The point is, I think the rip technique is for max D, while releasing is better for accuracy. Maybe I am wrong though, my backhand is pretty awful so I am speaking more from theory than practice. And please no one give me the line about giving advice on something you can't do- I am pretty sure most professional sports coaches, and even a lot of high school ones, can't do the things their players can do.

Another brain factor to add in: you may envision a line, but the disc is wider than that.

We naturally envision our "line" as just that, a line. Like a skinny 1 pixel line. However our disc if thrown on that line will take up more lateral room. So be reasonable when picking a line through a skinny skinny gap. (like on a rescue shot especially)

I think it was C Kennedy that was reminding people on a thread one time that even a one inch wide tree blocks 15-17" of space. (ie 8+1+8)

I think it was C Kennedy that was reminding people on a thread one time that even a one inch wide tree blocks 15-17" of space. (ie 8+1+8)

The chances of hitting any given gap becomes more difficult the further out the gap is. For example, a disc released 2 degrees off to the left of ones intended line will only be off by a foot to the left at 30' of travel but by the time it reaches 300', it will be 20' to the left (all other things considered).

Sometimes the best, 1st gap for your overall approach is a narrow one and a lot of people wrongly overlook it because of that.

You are thinking to far down fairway. Concentrate on a spot in the air. closer like 1/3 or 1/2 down fairway. And know if u throw it at right height and speed it should end up at desired location.

I appreciate all the input and wisdom and help that has been given up to this point. It seems like much of my focus is going to be on focusing on the gap not the obstacle and picking good lines. I have to say though, something I never thought of....

Another brain factor to add in: you may envision a line, but the disc is wider than that.

We naturally envision our "line" as just that, a line. Like a skinny 1 pixel line. However our disc if thrown on that line will take up more lateral room. So be reasonable when picking a line through a skinny skinny gap. (like on a rescue shot especially)

I never thought about how I envision a line that is so much smaller than a disc, but that is absolutely true. Hopefully these two ideas really help in my next round in the midst of the woods. Thanks guys!

Latest posts