• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sudden increase in drive distance has caused me a problem.

Thanks guys. I think I need to learn to dial it back a bit at least until I'm more accurate on dangerous holes. I'm going to have to figure out some kind of target for accuracy. Right now I'm using the goals at the soccer field I throw at.

I've attached a pic of the cesspool that my Zombee landed in today, out of bounds on hole 7 at Mae Simmons park. In the pic you can see someone else's orange disc that they lost there, and while looking for my Zombee I saw another one but that water is just too nasty for me to go into. When I was younger I would've jumped right in, but now I'm in my 30's... that's a big old pond of nope.

Damn dude, the water at my home course makes that pond look like purified drinking water.

As to your original quesrion you've gotten good advice. Discing down is a good one, and throwing discs and lines you know well on risky or blind shots.

Also maybe some more fieldwork to learn your discs better. When you jump that much in D your discs can qct more overstable or understable depending on what you did to your form. Familiarity breeds confidence.

Not to be a Giant Jerk or anything (pun intended), but have you seriously been playing over 12 years? Something is amiss here if you are just now losing discs.

I started playing that long ago and quit playing for several years. I just picked it up again a few months ago. I think I played for about three years back then and was much better (and in WAAAAAY better shape). Picking it up again has been like starting all over and I've been re-learning a lot of the fundamentals.

When you jump that much in D your discs can qct more overstable or understable depending on what you did to your form. Familiarity breeds confidence.

Yeah, The Zombee turned over more than I was expecting which caused it to go into the hole. So... would you jump in?

I'm glad it's not just me! Thank you for the great advice!

No problem. I'm glad to help. Another thing to think about. A lot of people here have said how throwing far isn't really that important to play/scoring well and that accuracy matters more...

I would both agree and disagree. The reason throwing far matters is because if you're throwing far with good technique it allows you to throw more accurate and predictable shots as well.

Practical example... If you were struggling to get a Destroyer out to 300 and now you're suddenly throwing it 400 ft instead of focusing on pushing that destroyer further and further, take out your Roc, Buzzz or whatever midrange you throw. Work at using it to park the holes that you used to need a destroyer for. Since a mid-range is slower, and has less fade it's less likely to skip off the green or do other things that hurt your score.

If you're finding yourself constantly turning your midrange over, you probably didn't actually improve your technique to throw further and need to go back and re-tweak your form.

My main point here is that increased distance from improved technique is always a good thing because the improved technique should help your all-around game.

Hope that makes sense. Good luck!

Practical example... If you were struggling to get a Destroyer out to 300 and now you're suddenly throwing it 400 ft instead of focusing on pushing that destroyer further and further, take out your Roc, Buzzz or whatever midrange you throw. Work at using it to park the holes that you used to need a destroyer for.

Right, I actually threw a Buzzz on a 340' hole today and parked it right next to the basket. I was VERY proud of that shot. Then I whiffed an easy putt and ended up getting par on it... I really need to work on my putting.

Latest posts