• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sugaree Phase 3

I didn't intend to be snide---just to pass along that information, which I thought would be most helpful. I guessed that you were unaware he was the owner. Either contact him (he's a great guy), or by reading his posts you might conclude that it's not worth contacting him, as it's doubtful it'll be opened again.

I did.

Mando's whole point is about getting a lack of support. People only care about playing not the blood, sweat, and tears put into it. In turn, poster asks when he can play.

Any snideness is understood and, well, should have been expected and now should be appreciated. Thanks hbc. David, I didn't suspect blatant snidity in your post.

There's obviously a lot more than "phase 3" to Sugaree, and I now regret butting into this conversation. I'm sorry I can't contribute blood, sweat, or tears to Sugaree, and confess that I thought it was in Georgia until a few months ago. I'm sure there's a better place for these comments, but disc golf courses with reputation as good as Sugaree's all have someone footing the bill. At Harmony Bends, I assume it's primarily the city of Columbia with plenty of man hours from local golfers. At Branson Trails, it may very well be Jaysin Smith on his own. Name a course, and someone's paying blood/sweat/tears.

If Mando is on his own, then the realistic side of me understands it may not be sustainable. I ain't any kind of weathered veteran, but I've been around long enough to know that many a great course has gone by the wayside for similar practicalities. The disc golf course aficionado in me is willing to risk many more snide comments if I get to play more courses like Sugaree. I've certainly been spoiled by being able to show up and play for a mere $5, $10, or $20. If Sugaree's course fee is a half day of manual labor, it's one I'd be willing to consider even if one I may not be able to afford.

I'm not sure where to ask. I'll be going to Charlotte in November and would love to play Sugaree. Is it truly extinct? What's the scoop?
It's a fair question, given the on again,off again nature of the course and I am flattered that you would want to play it. The baskets are in storage and the course is overgrown with chest high stinging nettle. I have some ailments that keep me from playing, so there is no longer much incentive to maintain the course. OTOH, my wife is retired and misses the course, so she might revive Sugaree someday, but it will probably not be this year. As long as we still have the baskets, anything could happen. I'll PM you if it is playable in November.

Last edited:
I plan to be in sugar grove October 31, would love to play if possible. I know I miss the natural beauty of the property, and even if the course is closed, I wouldn't mind even an hour to take a short hike. My game has never been worse, but my appreciation for the beauty of your land remains.

I wish you wellness,

Mark

Mark you know you are always welcome. In the final analysis, the real deathblow 2 Sugaree is the fact that is surrounded by National Forest and no population... but then again, that's what makes it unique. Therein lies the rub

Last edited:
Mando, I know it's a long shot, a group of us are playing the Sugar Grove course tomorrow morning, Saturday October 6. Gonna be 8 of us, it may rain, it's zero notice, but if you would like to join us, we'd be honored to have you.

Send me a text message or call me if you would like to join. If nothing else, I would treat you to lunch at coyote kitchen.

Mark