• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions for a dyable catch disc?

pobelly

Anybody here know of a decent catch (for inexperienced throwers) disc made from something like Star plastic? Larger diameter than a golf disc, but light and understable would be nice... failing that, I'll look for dyable Ultimate discs, I guess. Thanks for any suggestions!

Whittler is likely dyeable, although I haven't tried. A Superstar and Supersonic are Hero (fastback) molds in Star and Champ plastic, respectively, so they'd likely be dyeable as well. Again, I haven't tried to dye either.

From what I can tell, the Aero is only available in DX, and while I would totally play some catch with one myself, might be a little harsh for the people I have in mind... Hero Super Star looks pretty much perfect, though... I'll pursue that option, although it looks like the only color options on the site are black, gold, and silver... but there's a white one pictured, so they must be out there. Thanks for the pointer!

Bigbadbid did a Hero superclass a while back, loved the stencil! I think they are good catch discs, in the 135-150 range with rings like an ultimate disc, but have never had one in my hands.

That's an absolutely amazing dye, thanks for making me feel utterly inadequate! :p

As awe inspiring as I find some of the dyes on this forum, I'm still at the point where I can't imagine putting that kind of effort into something that I'll probably shank into oblivion sooner or later, so I mostly just go for eye-jarring visibility on my discs. But catch discs, now, that's another story... might be the canvas that finally lures me into trying something fancy.

champ zephyrs are coming out soon if not already out
For reals?! Might be a little heavy for the purpose at hand, but I will snag at least one for myself, for sure. I love tossing those around, but it often seems to involve asphalt...

Yeah Poohbacca resurfaces!

The superhero and superstar by innova / hero disc are great catch discs based on the good ol frisbee fastback. They are also made of champ/star so they dye up nice. I have a couple in a bunch of weights but the 135-150 range Dan mentioned would be perfect for you!

Go champ zephyrs!