• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Summertime Open, Sylmar CA

gcr_russell

* Ace Member *
Is anyone going to be playing in this tournament. I'll be there, hopefully my last hurrah before finishing up in intermediate before playing advanced. I can't wait, and will have never played there before the first round of the tournament. Any advice, or is anyone else gonna be there so we can rep dgcr?

I'm not going to be there, but I've got plenty of advice. (Sylmar is my Home home course... I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've played there... just in case you were wondering why a guy in NC wanted to give you advice about a course on the other side of the country).

I can give you all kinds of advice... hole by hole breakdowns, where to eat, pin positions, etc...

PM me... or I'll just chime back in tomorrow... (time for sleep).
DSCJNKY

Yeah I'd love to know what shots and distances and everything to work on. Mostly I am just excited to play the tournament, but getting mentally prepared I'm sure wouldn't hurt at all

its a great course. a few holes have new pro tees. hole 4 is most notable. throw a putter and make it through the biggest tunnel and go for the easy three. that ****s all about the setup. take it easy on 11...its shorter than it seems.

no course on the upper part of the property this year though. :(

let me know if you want to shoot a round if youve got free time and are in my neck of the woods. :)

I heard that last year they also played the upper course, which is a temp course that kicked everyones behinds. I would also expect that there will be a lot of locals that know the regular course pretty well. Unfortuantely that was one of the tournaments I missed last year when I was living in So Cal because one of my roomates got married that weekend. I know there are some guys on here who played in the tourney last year though.

I guess Apoth answered that one. Maybe it was so hard for the ams they decided to do away with the upper course.

All I know is that I'm playing the tournament the 4th through the 6th, it's very unlikely I'll be able to play before that. However the guy I'm staying with said we could hit up some other bearish courses after our tourney rounds, which I'm game to do. I'll let him lead though.

Yeah schedule says it's the lower course. I'm mainly playing intermediate b/c I'll be at a big disadvantage against the huge numbers of people who have played the course before, locals and all. I'm hoping to surprise myself and not let that factor in, but well just see.

One thing that will be new for me is that it's a large players pack, trophy only payout for the am divisions. I'd love to see what the trophies look like, and I really really want one.

The goal is for everyone to call me a sandbagger at the end of the final round. Apoth, you gonna be playing in it this year?

It's a helluva fun course...I play there all the time...Everything is going to be in the long positions from what I am aware of...and there are some new pro teepads...not sure if everyone will be playing these or not though...

I'd tell you to work on your approach shots and make sure you can putt...that will save you the most strokes out there...

FOOD:
There is a good fast mexican restaurant on the corner of Hubbard and Gladstone (behind Yum-Yums). It's an easy drive to get to between rounds. There is a fast food chinese restraunt right there too (closer to the Deny's). Note: There is also a mexican restaurant by the Liquor Store (on the corner at the bottom of the hill) that is good, but sketchier in terms of "are you sure this place is legit" type restaurant.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know... or if you have specific questions hit me up...
DSCJNKY

^Where'd the rest of my message go??? I had practically written a novel about things to know...

Basically this...
I checked your courses played list to see if there were any course I had played that you had played that were similar in style to Sylmar... and, Golden Gate is it. Sylmar and Golden Gate are practically the same animal. If you enjoyed GG, Sylmar will be the same (just a little drier and dustier).

FAIRways, trees on every hole but not to the point that they dominate, FH and BH's, elevation, etc...

And finally, PM Lasher. He's a good friend and Sylmar is his home course. He'll definitely be there. Say what up to the fellas for me, and tell Gary I said to give you a free DSCJNKY sticker (if he still has some)...
DSCJNKY

Does the course favor RHBH or RHFH throwers? I throw both, but want to focus the next two weeks on what I'll use the most at the tournament. Im thinking Ill get by mostly on RHBH with a Buzzz and Stalker, but if there are a lot of doglegs Ill need to work more with my drone, teerex, striker, and excal.

depending on pin positions, there are a couple of flick shots out there. Personally, I would always flick holes 2 left, 3 right, 4 right, 6 right, 13 right (although I haven't played the new tee on 4).

But, with that said, you could throw a backhand off every tee and still get there.

I would say if you're going to practice anything over the next few weeks, practice your upshots and putting. Especially considering the Rico's will probably set the course up long and reaching a lot of the pins is going to be rough off the tee.
DSCJNKY

On the friday and/or saturday of the tournament, the 4th and 5th, I will be playing rabbit flats and/either/or lake casitas after my rounds in Sylmar. I'll probably post my tournament status here as well, as I love to stroke my ego and I plan on shooting only 1000+ rated rounds

Oak Grove would be more realistic than Casitas and probably a better choice than Rabbit Flats. Casitias is just too far of a drive from Sylmar to make it doable (although possible).

And besides, with OG, you're playing the first ever course... so it's a must play.
DSCJNKY

Is anyone going to be playing in this tournament. I'll be there, hopefully my last hurrah before finishing up in intermediate before playing advanced. I can't wait, and will have never played there before the first round of the tournament. Any advice, or is anyone else gonna be there so we can rep dgcr?

I will be there, and playing intermediate Am as well. Maybe we'll be in the same group. This will be my fist official tournament.

Also, this being my first real tournament, I was wondering. What are the Am prizes normally like? Just curious.

With this tourney it's a trophy only payout so am prizes isn't really applicable. It should be an awesome players pack though, probably with a shirt, disc(s), and funny money, and maybe some other cool schwag. I know just about any merch that's disc golf related makes me happy. What's your last name, usually first round goes by close last names. It'd be nice to play with a fellow dgcr-er.

As far as playing other course I agree that rabbit flats and casitas would normally be too far away, but I'll be staying in Camarillo so I'll already be a little ways away.

My last name is Cooper. Doesn't look like we'll be on the same card the first day. Lets just hope we are both on the top card after that. Thats cool that the players pack has some cool stuff like that. That is good incentive for the Am players who have to pay with no chance of winning any cash.

Latest posts