• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Summertime Open, Sylmar CA

Yeah.. Hopefully you and I end up on the lead card together. And if you're familiar with the course I don't mind gving you the tee every now and then to show me the lines

With this tourney it's a trophy only payout so am prizes isn't really applicable. It should be an awesome players pack though, probably with a shirt, disc(s), and funny money, and maybe some other cool schwag. I know just about any merch that's disc golf related makes me happy. What's your last name, usually first round goes by close last names. It'd be nice to play with a fellow dgcr-er.

As far as playing other course I agree that rabbit flats and casitas would normally be too far away, but I'll be staying in Camarillo so I'll already be a little ways away.

Yeah... Bamba and Gary (both really good friends of mine) feel that by not giving Am payouts, it will force some of them to move up. It's their way of sticking it to the "baggers". (I don't necessarily agree with their philosophy on that one).

And... you're right, Rabbit Flats and Casitas are closer to Camarillo. It's going to be a long ass day if you go to Casitas.

DSCJNKY

Yeah... Bamba and Gary (both really good friends of mine) feel that by not giving Am payouts, it will force some of them to move up. It's their way of sticking it to the "baggers". (I don't necessarily agree with their philosophy on that one).

DSCJNKY

Im not sure whether I agree or not, but I've been on the fence between registering Am1 or 2. As a 914 rated player I can safely play intermediate, but I've averaged above 930 lately I think. When I saw the field though, I figured Id be closer to other players ratingswise in AM2 with most AM1 player in the 940s and above, as opposed to my friends playing the treebash open this year, with a very low rated advanced field.

Play MA1 you freakin bagger. You won't get any better sitting in Intermediate!

Play MA1 you freakin bagger. You won't get any better sitting in Intermediate!
I whole-heartedly agree with this statement...I made vast and quick improvements to my game each time I stepped up divisions...

This is my last tournament in intermediate. If I play advanced I'm 20+ rating points below the rest of the field. Hopefully not for long though. And gcrussell4 is my brother and is just mad I'm about to start smoking him.

the only thing you're smoking is...

play advanced for real--you are good enough and there is absolutely no point in playing intermediate.

Funny thing, guy I'm staying with just told me the same thing... I guess I'll be bumping up and calling the TD today.. No sandbagging for me..

On the friday and/or saturday of the tournament, the 4th and 5th, I will be playing rabbit flats and/either/or lake casitas after my rounds in Sylmar. I'll probably post my tournament status here as well, as I love to stroke my ego and I plan on shooting only 1000+ rated rounds
Unless you have an annual pass to Casitas I would really reserve that course for a full day there.

its a long round of golf, but SO worth it. if youre hardcore, youll do casitas.:)

picture.php

picture.php

I just played sylmar last in April when I won the advance division at the sylmar open and they did a cool thing where they had each round set up differently. The first round was all long, second round was all mediums spots and last round was all shorts. Hole 18 is super difficult from the new tee, super long aswell. Hole 4 has the tunnel look and it has a anhyzer look which I think is easier to bird if you dont have an accurate side arm if your right handed. I only play sylmar 3-4 times a year and its very easy to adapt to this course. My opinion it doesnt favor either right or left handed players. Its a good mixture of every shot possible, minus rollers unless they got creative. Wish I was playing, good luck to all and OG is definitely a smarter choice of where to play afterwards since its only 20 minutes away.

Thanks everyone. I can wait to play the course, and other than being unfamiliar with the course and trees in general I have high hopes. I'll keep everyone posted as it comes along and continue to welcome advice and feedback. I am now playing advanced.

Casitas is worth 15 bucks... even if you only play it once. So, definitely don't skip out on it cuz of the entrance fee. However, don't plan on playing that well the next day. You're gunna be sore.

But hey... at least you'll have an excuse if you lose to all the Advanced Baggers.

DSCJNKY

I played the tournament set up over the weekend. They have made some adjustments to the course to create some par 4's. Par for the course will be 58. See below for hole-by-hole comments:

#1) Long position. Par 3.
#2) Will not be played for tournament.
#3) Medium. Far right on edge of ridge. Par 3.
A) Temporary hole. Par 4. Dogleg right playing uphill. Believe this was Hole #6 on the Upper Course used in previous Summertime Opens.
B) Temporary hole. Par 3. Believe this was Hole #5 on the Upper Course used in previous Summertime Opens.
#4) Playing from "pro" teepad. Long position. Mandatory right of small tree to left of teepad. Sidewalk, fenced area and dirt area between fence & sidewalk are OB. Par 3.
#5) Long position. Far right corner. Par 3.
#6) Medium position. Straight ahead. Par 3.
#7) Extended hole. Plays all the way uphill to a new basket position adjacent to Hole #8's fairway. "Lake" in middle of fairway is OB. Par 4.
#8) Will not be played for tournament.
#9) Medium position. On dirt "island" straight ahead. On or beyond sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#10) Short position. To the left. Par 3.
#11) Medium position. On the pyramid. On sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#12) Extended hole. Plays all the way up the hill to Hole #8's far right medium position. On or beyond sidewalk is OB. Par 4.
#13) Medium position. Straight ahead. On sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#14) Extra long position. New position. Dry creek bed in front of basket will be OB. Par 3.
#15) Extra long position. New position. Par 3.
#16) Extended hole. Plays to Hole #10's long position. On sidewalk is OB. Par 4.
#17) Long position. Near parking lot. Sidewalk and beyond to left is OB. Beyond tree line to right is OB. Par 3.
#18) Long position. On pyramid. Playing from "pro" teepad. Over fence to right is OB. Beyond tree line to left is OB. Par 3.

PS: I personally feel that #16 should be a par 3 and that #18 should be the par 4. I had no problem getting 3's on 16, but you have to play absolutely perfect to get a 3 on #18. Unless you have an superhuman arm, there is really no way to get a 2 on #18. Either way, it's still a par 58 for the course though so not too big of a deal.

^Thanks for the description of the course... I just played it in my head. It's going to be tough.

This will be the first SummerTime Open I wont be helping Bamba and Gary run since they started doing the SummerTime Open again 5 years ago. Bummer. Have fun for me.
DSCJNKY

Latest posts