• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Summertime Open, Sylmar CA

Yeah that was great. I'm getting ready. No field practice or rounds this week, but a lot of putting practice. I'll be reading that hole by hole and referencing the course page all week long, thank you

I played the tournament set up over the weekend. They have made some adjustments to the course to create some par 4's. Par for the course will be 58. See below for hole-by-hole comments:

#1) Long position. Par 3.
#2) Will not be played for tournament.
#3) Medium. Far right on edge of ridge. Par 3.
A) Temporary hole. Par 4. Dogleg right playing uphill. Believe this was Hole #6 on the Upper Course used in previous Summertime Opens.
B) Temporary hole. Par 3. Believe this was Hole #5 on the Upper Course used in previous Summertime Opens.
#4) Playing from "pro" teepad. Long position. Mandatory right of small tree to left of teepad. Sidewalk, fenced area and dirt area between fence & sidewalk are OB. Par 3.
#5) Long position. Far right corner. Par 3.
#6) Medium position. Straight ahead. Par 3.
#7) Extended hole. Plays all the way uphill to a new basket position adjacent to Hole #8's fairway. "Lake" in middle of fairway is OB. Par 4.
#8) Will not be played for tournament.
#9) Medium position. On dirt "island" straight ahead. On or beyond sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#10) Short position. To the left. Par 3.
#11) Medium position. On the pyramid. On sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#12) Extended hole. Plays all the way up the hill to Hole #8's far right medium position. On or beyond sidewalk is OB. Par 4.
#13) Medium position. Straight ahead. On sidewalk is OB. Par 3.
#14) Extra long position. New position. Dry creek bed in front of basket will be OB. Par 3.
#15) Extra long position. New position. Par 3.
#16) Extended hole. Plays to Hole #10's long position. On sidewalk is OB. Par 4.
#17) Long position. Near parking lot. Sidewalk and beyond to left is OB. Beyond tree line to right is OB. Par 3.
#18) Long position. On pyramid. Playing from "pro" teepad. Over fence to right is OB. Beyond tree line to left is OB. Par 3.

:thmbup:Thanks for this. There will be several holes I've never played. Do you know if the setup will be the same all three days?

From what I understand, it will be the same set up every round. They want to keep the course as long and as tough as possible so there is not much leeway to move the baskets to other positions.

On a side note, the entry form says it will be a par 57 but when I spoke to Gary on Monday he was saying par 58. I am sure they will clarify this at the first players' meeting. Just a head's up.

I played today and asked Gary about 10 & 16. Flash, you've got those baskets backwards. 10 plays long and straight while 16 plays to that short left position for 10, as a par 4.

I thought the layout was very challenging, but very fair as well. The usual So Cal style of "grip it and rip it" was put to the test because you had to be very mindful of where you were going to land your throws. Throw in some mandatories that challenged where your drives started plus the overall length of the course and you had yourself one very long demanding day. Time to get something to eat and rest up for another adventurous day tomorrow. Good luck to everyone playing!

Soo much fun, but not very happy with how I played, shot a +6, and don't intend on getting near that high again. I was also able to make it outto oak grove for a round aferwards and shot a nice 6-7 down. That was a nice confidence booster, hopefully I can take into my round tomorrow.

And my buddy Matt aced 11 at Oak Grove after getting the lead in round 1 in sylmar with a hot -1

Steve Rico shot a killer 11 under in the final round to put more than a few nails in the coffin. On a side note he's a great guy. We played poker last night, and I nearly took his money.. then he came back and pretended he was on the course and dominated.

Myself, I didnt play so hot, but had a great time in the process. A few blowup holes in the middle of otherwise good rounds sealed the deal on my end. Flash86 shot some incredibly solid and consistent rounds on his end, and took his division. If he'd just played up his trophy would say advanced, because he would've won that too. Overall a great time of a tournament, and a course that I will certainly play as many times again as possible. Couldn't have had a better experience... unless I shot better of course.