• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Super Class Discs

sonny

Eagle Member
Have you seen the lead story on the PDGA web site about Super Class Discs? http://www.pdga.com

It appears the PDGA wants to encourage the use of regular old catch frisbees for disc golf. Retro disc golf I guess.

The logic the PDGA cites for this idea makes sense and I will probably give it a try; but I remember the old days of playing target golf with yard frisbees and I don't think I really want to go back.

There's a local course in my town that's probably perfect for playing with catch frisbees. OK - it would be a new challenge, but so what? Why give up the advances in disc technology the last 25 years just because the new discs make older courses easier? Is there really a problem that needs to be fixed when advanced players regularly shoot 4-5 under on a course?

Any opinions about this?

I used to love playing with my old 165G frisbee. It sounds like a fun concept. I would probably be better at that than at regular DG.

Have you seen the lead story on the PDGA web site about Super Class Discs? http://www.pdga.com

It appears the PDGA wants to encourage the use of regular old catch frisbees for disc golf. Retro disc golf I guess.

The logic the PDGA cites for this idea makes sense and I will probably give it a try; but I remember the old days of playing target golf with yard frisbees and I don't think I really want to go back.

There's a local course in my town that's probably perfect for playing with catch frisbees. OK - it would be a new challenge, but so what? Why give up the advances in disc technology the last 25 years just because the new discs make older courses easier? Is there really a problem that needs to be fixed when advanced players regularly shoot 4-5 under on a course?

Any opinions about this?

I dont think they are giving up the technology advances of the last 25 years. Its just a different type of tournament for peolpe to play. For some people who grew up playing with frisbees its a fun reminiscent way to play. Ive seen some local tournaments that are for "lids" only. I dont think it will take away from the sport, actually I think it will be fun.

"Back in the day" I could consistently put a frisbee in the net of a basketball goal from the other end of the court. We played in the practice courts of the college coliseum when the weather was bad. Sounds like it would add another dimension to the sport. From the article it would be a separate competition class so no need to worry about continuing to develop disc technology, plus, we have an excuse to buy complete new sets of discs (as if we need excuses to buy more discs) and try something new.
If playing with "Super Discs" is a lot slower than with regular golf discs I could see where some adjustments in course etiquette could be necessary but we'll figure that out quickly enough.

Agreed...I don't think it's an attempt to "move away" from anything, just a way to diversify the game...kinda like mini golf. Personally I'm looking forward to playing one of these events. I used to throw a Zephyr around at the course just for fun, and I'm curious to see what I can do with it when I'm actually trying :D

Also looking forward to seeing some new Super Class discs in premium plastics

I think I read elswhere that they are also hoping to introduce more people to the sport with this class.

I think I read elswhere that they are also hoping to introduce more people to the sport with this class.

I've seen many people who really dont know anything about the game out playing on the course with a frisbee just junking around. Once you explain the game to them they get really interested. I think this will bring more players to the game.
Also having played ultimate in college, it is possible to get some serious distance out of a ultimate styled disc so It would be really interesting to see some ultimate players getting involved in these types of tourneys.

I also have to agree, I too am looking forward to seeing some of the new super class discs in premium plastics. Its a great excuse to buy some new discs :D

Oh yeah - I realized it's just another class of competition the PDGA wants to add in addition to the disc golf we know and love. I was thinking about myself personally. I don't think I'd want to play Super Class except as a novelty.

I like old music, but new technology is generally an improvement. It's hard for me to see this retro disc golf taking off.

I think it looks like a good way to make some of the shorter courses a lot tougher. DG has kind of progressed the same as regular golf in that technological advances in equipment have made the course so short that on some of them they have had to add tees that are further back just to keep up.

This class would be a great way to put a course in on a smaller piece of real estate and yet keep it challenging as well.

If they stick with the original concept, the Whittler is going to have too small a diameter. All of the lid-style golf discs (Super Puppy, Birdie, Polecat, Upshot, Rattler, Whittler, etc.) will be too small. The list only had big-diameter sportdiscs:

Diam Rim Disc Model
27.5 2.0 Floater
27.5 2.0 Pulsar
27.5 2.2 Super Nova
27.3 2.0 Ultra-Star
27.2 1.9 The New Zealand Ultimate
27.1 2.0 Gamedisc
27.1 2.1 The Tool/T501 Mold
27.0 1.8 90 Mold
26.9 1.9 80 / 82 Molds
26.7 2.1 Sky Styler
26.4 2.0 Apple
25.9 1.8 50 Mold
25.5 1.8 Super Pro (60)
24.9 1.8 100 Mold
24.1 1.6 Sky Pro
24.1 1.7 Zephyr

When the Zephyr is the smallest diameter disc allowed, you are talking some BIG HONKIN' LIDS!!! :eek:

Here's the actual list of PDGA approved discs. It's in excel format.

Looks like the Supper Class contains these discs:
Daredevil Discs - Gamedisc
Disc Golf Aotearoa - Te Moko
Disc Golf Aotearoa - The New Zealand 175 gram Ultimate Disc
Discraft - Sky Pro
Discraft - Skystar
Discraft - Sky-Styler
Discraft - Ultra-Star
Dynamic Discs - Floater
Innova-Champion Discs - Apple
Innova-Champion Discs - Hero Disc Type 235
Innova-Champion Discs - Pulsar
Innova-Champion Discs - Super Nova
Innova-Champion Discs - Zephyr
Wham-O / DTW - 141g (50 Mold)
Wham-O / DTW - 165g (80 Mold, High Rigidity)
Wham-O / DTW - 90 Mold
Wham-O / DTW - Fastback (all molds)
Wham-O / DTW - Master
Wham-O / DTW - Midnight Flyer (100 mold)
Wham-O / DTW - Midnight Flyer (50 Mold series)
Wham-O / DTW - Midnight Flyer (80 mold series)
Wham-O / DTW - Midnight Flyer (80 mold)
Wham-O / DTW - Midnight Flyer (Fast Back)
Wham-O / DTW - Olympic/Collegiate (100 Mold series)
Wham-O / DTW - Professional (all molds)
Wham-O / DTW - Super Pro (60 Mold)
Wham-O / DTW - The Tool (T501 Mold)

There's already a fun and challenging game for the lid-throwers -- it's called Kan-Jam.

Is there a wiffle ball class on the PGA tour?

What about the Innova Phenix? It seems rather gigantic in diameter.
The Phenix has a beveled edge and is clearly a golf disc. You would never play catch with that thing. It also isn't as big in diameter as the discs we are talking about. The Innova Condor, Jaguar, Lynx & the Lightning Flying Fortress (whatever it is called now...# 2 Roller, maybe?) are actually bigger than the Phenix and would have the kind of diameter that would put them in this class, but again they are beveled edge golf discs. Including them just because they have a big diameter would miss the point.

I'm for it!

I think it looks like a good way to make some of the shorter courses a lot tougher. DG has kind of progressed the same as regular golf in that technological advances in equipment have made the course so short that on some of them they have had to add tees that are further back just to keep up.

This class would be a great way to put a course in on a smaller piece of real estate and yet keep it challenging as well.

I just played a putter course (average length was 200'). It would have been really fun with an old frisbee!