• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

super overstable mid

Its been a whole two weeks since a overstable mid thread! That's a record!

Drone btw

I think it depends how far you want the disc to travel... Do you want a wind fighter, or just something really overstable?

If you want something really overstable that hasn't much glide, has a small diameter, feels a little like a buzzz in the hand, flicks well and is crazy overstable, get a ESP Zone.

If you want something longer but still a mid, a Tensor could probably work, but I haven't tested mind in wind yet. It flies straight for a little while, but it fades like a champ, beefy, but you can still shape line with it.

The Drone is nice, but I prefer the Zone. I've yet to test which one flies further for me on a 75 % power shot, but I'd guess they are similar. The Drone has a bigger diameter than the Zone. both are really, really overstable and would probably make you happy.

If you want something with more distance potentiel, but that you can't turn it over, a Whippet or a Trident should be good for that.

Vipers are only made in DX, might be something to consider.

The m1 is not as stable as claimed, just think roc3 fade but harder to turn over.

I remember when we were throwing Vipers for distance, and now they are considered fairway drivers. Times have changed.

When I started just a coupe years ago Valks were distance & Destroyers were warp speed!

Oh, Zone for the win. Heavy Z Hornets are pretty solid but not as beefy as Zones or Drones

Vipers and whippets were my max d driver when i started.

FWIW I tested a Drone vs Zone vs Vector vs M1 and I found the Drone and Zone most OS and the M1 and Vector about the same, nice and stable with 2-3 fade.

Zone's are putters, why does everyone keep saying a Zone for an overstable mid? That'd be like saying Rhyno/Pig.

Vipers and whippets are fairway drivers, i understand folks use them similar (i have whippets in my bag as well, love 'em)

you basically have your choice in different brands
Innova - Gator
Discraft - Drone
Prodigy - M1
I'm sure DD/Lat/WS have one too.
I don't think Legacy has one.

For me, Gator flys shortest, then Drone, then M1.
Star Gator is most OS, Then Drone/M1.
Gator meathooks,drops short when I throw it poorly, flys great when I release correctly.
M1 reacts to poor throw better (less offline with issues at release)
Drone, if released on hyzer takes off meathook style. With anny release, doesn't flex as well as gator/m1, but released flat flys awesome)
Gator skips more than drone/m1 due to a harder fade at the end (for me)

I currently throw my gator about 285, Drone 300', M1 315', but all on the same path with about the same comfortable power put into it. All 3 are consistent when i release flat and fly virtually the same path, but just depends on what you are looking for distance wise and "Ease of throwing". I've actually removed the gators and drones from the bag, and only throwing the M1. Just feels better in my hands and less bad shots when i screw up a little.

Zone's are putters, why does everyone keep saying a Zone for an overstable mid? That'd be like saying Rhyno/Pig.

Vipers and whippets are fairway drivers, i understand folks use them similar (i have whippets in my bag as well, love 'em)

you basically have your choice in different brands
Innova - Gator
Discraft - Drone
Prodigy - M1
I'm sure DD/Lat/WS have one too.
I don't think Legacy has one.

For me, Gator flys shortest, then Drone, then M1.
Star Gator is most OS, Then Drone/M1.
Gator meathooks,drops short when I throw it poorly, flys great when I release correctly.
M1 reacts to poor throw better (less offline with issues at release)
Drone, if released on hyzer takes off meathook style. With anny release, doesn't flex as well as gator/m1, but released flat flys awesome)
Gator skips more than drone/m1 due to a harder fade at the end (for me)

I currently throw my gator about 285, Drone 300', M1 315', but all on the same path with about the same comfortable power put into it. All 3 are consistent when i release flat and fly virtually the same path, but just depends on what you are looking for distance wise and "Ease of throwing". I've actually removed the gators and drones from the bag, and only throwing the M1. Just feels better in my hands and less bad shots when i screw up a little.

I suggest Zone as a mid because this is what it flies like, a mid. I'm not talking about distance here, (I know some people throw putter on 350+') but about speed, and the Zone has the speed of a mid and it feels like a mid in the hand. I'd even argue with you that the Zone is as much of a mid, if not more, than the Gator.

But I mean, you can still be mad at us of suggest the mid, after all, we should be blamed for trying to suggest what we believe is the best mid for what the OP asked.

Tell me about it. Using something for a duty that it isn't classified as is foolish. That would be about as useless as someone using a putter as a driver...

I would suggest either a Whippet or a Zone for this. Neither is a midrange, but they both are very proficient at filling that role.

Go with the TI drone. I use the TI wasp for turnover shots so I wa looking for something even more stable. Let me tell you, if u have goo form your not gonna turn the drone over. I even tried to throw it flat and it still fights back into a hyzer. Def the most stable mid I have thrown.

Yup. Drone = very overstable mid.

Go with the TI drone. I use the TI wasp for turnover shots so I wa looking for something even more stable. Let me tell you, if u have goo form your not gonna turn the drone over. I even tried to throw it flat and it still fights back into a hyzer. Def the most stable mid I have thrown.
If you're using Ti Wasps for turnovers, and get turn out of a Ti Drone when thrown flat, you either throw 900ft or something is wrong.

If you're using Ti Wasps for turnovers, and get turn out of a Ti Drone when thrown flat, you either throw 900ft or something is wrong.

Sounds like he might possibly be a

p.jpg

Tell me about it. Using something for a duty that it isn't classified as is foolish. That would be about as useless as someone using a putter as a driver...

What's useless is worrying about the classification of something when that classification is very subjective and doesn't help the OP. :thmbdown:

The zone is useful for a lot of shots that people use mids for. Try it out for the slot you are trying to fill and see if you like it :thmbup:

My vote is definitely for a Z drone if you can find one. This disc does one thing, finish left. You could throw it into a 30 mph wind and it will still finish left. Another great disc for this is a Champ Glow Gator from the innova factory store. Drone wins for me on a comfort in the hand standpoint.

What's useless is worrying about the classification of something when that classification is very subjective and doesn't help the OP. :thmbdown:

The zone is useful for a lot of shots that people use mids for. Try it out for the slot you are trying to fill and see if you like it :thmbup:

Sarcasm...you missed it.

I would also go with a Zone. It is stable enough to take on a headwind and wont skip a lot on impact

Suspect not as OS as a Zone. Zone wins.

Drone is like a longer Zone but doesn't flick nearly as well, as the taller profile tends to make it come out wobbly on a flick.

Latest posts