• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Surge and Surge SS

mattw

Double Eagle Member
How much of a difference is thier between these two. I have not thrown these discs. But I am curious about trying one out. I am not sure what to expect as far as overall flight. The realy big rim stuff like the Nuke and Boss are not very comfortable for me to grip. Wraiths and Surges are about as wide as I can handle without the disc slipping out early.

I have a ESP Surge and Elite Z Surge SS and there is very little difference from the start. The Surge SS seems to have less fade at the end, but they both teeter on the edge of stability. The Surge SS stays a pretty sweet disc for a few months of regular use then becomes too understable and inconsistent. The ESP Surge reaches this point much faster-- in about 1 month. I'm not sure about the Elite Z Surge though. I gave up on the mold in favor of the Pro Katana. If I'm going to risk turning over a disc, I might as well be throwing it 400'+ in the process.

I'm just carrying two surges currently,

I threw a surge ss around, and it had about the same stability as my slightly worn surge, so I figured it was simpler this way

I am not sure about the SS,,, but i throw my flx surge with a little anny and it goes, and goes, and goes, and goes.

surge SS is just different enough from regular surge to justify carrying both. SS will level out and probably hyzer flip a lot easier for you than regular surge. i love both these discs though.

I've thrown the Surge SS FLX and like it -- I have also thrown the Z Surge SS, but didn't care for the feel nearly as much. I only throw the FLX as my wind driver as it is heavier than I like. But, when thrown correctly, I can get good distance out of it. I agree -- those wide rim discs don't fit well in my hand either...also, I just don't have the speed for them. I would say the Surge is a good in between disc -- not so fast you have to throw your arm out to get it going! I definitely throw it mostly on the holes where I need a slight hyzer -- definitely more overstable than my main drivers.

Garret

When I was starting to break 350', the FLX Surge SS was the best for me because it held a nice slight hyzer line without a hard fade. At 350' power, it can handle a little OAT or flippiness when thrown flat and still fight back. When you get more than 350' power, I would look more back into the regular Surges.

Then again, with this winter forecasted to be a bad one, I might sacrifice a little power for more grip and reliability. My FLX Surge SS just might fill that need if I do not feel my Gold Lines or Stars are working for me.

I throw the surge esp, it works great for me. I have found that the Flx plastic seems to be slower, does anyone else notice this?

I throw the surge esp, it works great for me. I have found that the Flx plastic seems to be slower, does anyone else notice this?

Slower with less glide, but more stability than ESP (just a tad less than Z). Less likely something stupid is going to happen even if you are sacrificing a little distance.

I've carried a Surge and Surge SS for about as long as I can remember now and I'm surprised so many people are saying how similar they are. Maybe it's the plastics I use but I notice a big difference between the 2. My Surge SS is in FLX plastic and currently I use a Z Surge but I've used an ESP one for a long time as well. My SS is way more understable than my Surge is and I use it exclusively for really long anhyzers that I don't want to come back. Although I can hyzer flip both, the SS is a hyzer flip beast. That thing can go forever if you get the right angle but if you mess up you'll probably end up flipping it over into the dirt. All of this however depends largely on how big an arm you have as I'm sure both of these discs can be fairly overstable for some. I say it can't hurt to try both

I have a trashed ESP surge that is finally as understable as a surge SS (the ESP is my main roller, it is really beat). My wife thinks my new ESP and the SS fly the same, but I can crank on a surge, and a SS needs a lot of height and hyzer to flex back at the end.

I have a trashed ESP surge that is finally as understable as a surge SS (the ESP is my main roller, it is really beat). My wife thinks my new ESP and the SS fly the same, but I can crank on a surge, and a SS needs a lot of height and hyzer to flex back at the end.

I just noticed your in Fort Collins! You play at Edora much?

I would agree -- I just found a nice Surge FLX the other day. I went out and threw both it and my SS FLX side-by-side. I definitely like the regular Surge better -- even though I don't have a powerful arm, it seems like the Surge did not take as much to get going. :confused: For some reason, I also liked the feel a little better in my hand, and was able to get a nice release. It also flew much straighter and longer than my SS -- the SS always faded off quickly.

Garret