• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Surge Philosophizes about Disc Golf, Volume I: "Don't Think, Just Putt."

Surge5

Self-Appointed Cubic Zirconia Club Manager
Gold level trusted reviewer
Good afternoon. I'm going to start a series where I wax poetic and tell more detailed personal stories about aspects of disc golf, whether it be core tenets of my game or "I like XYZ because...", and you can decide whether you like what I said or not and we can discuss, because you all care to talk about this unlike my wife when I start telling her that the best hole in the world can be found in Montello, WI (more on that in the future).

Volume I: "Don't Think, Just Putt"

ZomboMeme 03052024010217.jpg

Hole 9 at Blue Ribbon Pines is a very short hole. 155ft by Udisc's map from the day (June 5, 2020), and yet I had kicked about 40ft to the right off a tree, but still pin high (about where James Conrad would be putting from the next day). As I'm lining up a putt with my DX Dart (pictured), a Minnesotan friend of mine shouts "don't think, just putt!" So with no further thought I launched "Whitey" at the Prodigy T1 with little thought and drained it.

Later I asked him where the statement came from. He said he was told anything outside of your personal "drop in range" (you could make it with your eyes shut 9 out of 10 times) up to about 50ft you shouldn't overthink your putt. Just pick an aim point, make your natural motion, and putt. I used this advice for the rest of the round and hit some decent putts for my "just got back into disc golf last fall" self.

I took this philosophy home to Kansas City and found myself thinking less and developing my own natural motion which shaved several strokes a round. Even today I'll often catch myself overthinking a putt, and "don't think, just putt" echoes through the mind... when and if it does go in I wave to the north to thank Elisha for the tip yet again.

Obviously some thought has to go into your footing and grip on the disc, plus any obstacles. But once you're there, use your regular putting motion and don't overthink.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240503_125945.jpg
    20240503_125945.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 0
I take a few deep breaths before putting and when the air is completely out of my lungs, I putt. I also before releasing the disc, close my eyes and envision the putt leaving my hands, and going into the heart of the chains. I visualize what I want to do. Turns out I'm a pretty good putter, the best part of my DG game for sure. What I don't do is think about mechanics or the chance of making it or what can go wrong, etc. "Don't think, just putt" is a good pretty idea when it comes to putting.

it's hard not to overthink, but there is also underthinking. sometimes you need to consider the wind, elevation, or obstacles.
some of my best/longest putts have been when i visualized how they were going to go in.
my best putting rounds have been when i was relaxed, confident, & didn't think much. these 3 things are hard to fake/replicate/force.
most competitive rounds i have a hard time relaxing, which leads to a miss that destroys my confidence, so then i start overthinking. by the time i get my head straight (clear my mind), there's usually only a few holes left.
i could use some kind of pre-round warm-up/routine that puts me in the right headspace.

When I arrive at my lie, I have a set routine that I do. I tell myself mentally "stance, grip, line, rip." I am getting my stance right, then grip the disc as needed. From there, I turn my focus to building a line to the basket.

I usually spend time before the putt determining which chain link I want to hit. Once I have locked onto it, I figure out how I want the disc to get there. Then I try to work out the motion needed by my arm to make it happen. I pause long enough to get ready, then putt.

I primarily spush putt, but I have to work out if it's going to be more spin and less push, or the reverse, or whatever is needed to get the arc I want. Also I try to make sure I don't put too much power, so I don't have lengthy comebackers.

That focus on the line can take a few seconds, but I don't wait long, because everything builds on the routine, so there's less to think about as it gets closer to time to putt.

The "rip" mental command is basically the go ahead to release the disc. I just try to have it follow the line I created. I don't usually fault myself for missing unless I gave my routine short shrift. The whole time to putt, from the moment I reach my lie, is almost always under 10 seconds.

Last edited:
I played 25 years of ball golf, and about half that time tournament play. I was fortunate enough to learn from a friend who played on the mini tour, and caddie on the main tour. He taught me to find your line, don't think about it, and "PUTT IT LIKE YOU MEAN IT". Not necessarily laser it in, but firm and not lazy with it. I've carried that philosophy over to disc golf. The only difference is I have several Putters depending on wind and obstacles. It has helped tremendously to of had a practice basket the past year.

This morning I actually laser a 55-foot death putt first photo for my second birdie on the 317 foot hole. Second photo it's a steep drop into a lake, and I have lost 2 Putters here, others have been saved by shurbs . Third photo is where I was coming from a heavily wooded hole, and where I'm at blind from the Tee. I normally hit a tree before I get here, so I didn't want to waste a chance for the birdie, gave no though to previous lost Putters. Nor did i give any thought to the other two Putters ive lost elsewhere on the course. Last year after hitting a tree I dropped a 74-footer for my first birdie on the hole, so hitting a second one was sweet.

The course is called Waller Mill Williamsburg Virginia, I come here monthly spring thru fall an hour from home. The putter is a Plasma Envy, if I lost it I already knew I could pick up another at PIAS. No way was I using my main putter an Electron Atom 😀.

Basically I try to keep my putting simple and firm, quick just a few seconds after I'm set, and have build confidence with the practice basket .

Attachments

• 20240503_093951.jpg
    20240503_093951.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240503_094020.jpg
    20240503_094020.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240503_094003.jpg
    20240503_094003.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Good afternoon. I'm going to start a series where I wax poetic and tell more detailed personal stories about aspects of disc golf, whether it be core tenets of my game or "I like XYZ because...", and you can decide whether you like what I said or not and we can discuss, because you all care to talk about this unlike my wife when I start telling her that the best hole in the world can be found in Montello, WI (more on that in the future).

I haven't read any further than this yet. I quoted it and want to guess. Hole 18 at Wilderness?

Now I'll read the rest of your iron pyrite ramblings. :p

I like this idea Surge. Keep em coming. (y)

My putting is pretty atrocious usually so I don't have much to offer here. It comes and goes. @PastorofMuppets probably thinks I'm lying lol. I putted pretty damn good (for me) that day. It even shifts from round to round in the same day. It has been slightly better in recent years from just sticking with the same damn putter for enough time. There's no magic putter out there. I went from Wardens to Judges to Swans to Wizards and finally now just sticking with Yeti Aviars. I'm sure I missed probably 4 other putters too.

I just overthink everything and worry about comebacks. I also never practice putt unless I'm waiting on someone at the course. So in a nutshell, don't listen to anything I said.

P.S. What hole are you referring to at BRP for 9. Is that the little wooded jump putt hole or the extreme dogleg right one. I checked on Udisc and it's only showing me one layout somehow and that layout is called "8 to 9, Pit to hanger". Good ol' Udisc.

I haven't read any further than this yet. I quoted it and want to guess. Hole 18 at Wilderness?

Now I'll read the rest of your iron pyrite ramblings. :p

How did you know? I went again just two weeks ago and it's even better at sunset... and I may well do one of these just about that hole.
P.S. What hole are you referring to at BRP for 9. Is that the little wooded jump putt hole or the extreme dogleg right one. I checked on Udisc and it's only showing me one layout somehow and that layout is called "8 to 9, Pit to hanger". Good ol' Udisc.

The little jump putt right before the dogleg "gimmick" hole (their words not mine). I played BRP the day before The Majestic so it was actually hole 7 that day.

I played in a tournament yesterday where the wind was so nasty I was putting with my Axiom Fireball meathook driver. Actually had a few hit chains and have the wind push them out of the basket, fun. How do you deal with wind, @Surge5 ? I mean you are from Kansas City, help a brother out!

If you're within about 15ft, you can turn the putter upside-down. If not... just laugh.

[COLOR=var(--text-lighter)]There's no magic putter out there. I went from Wardens to Judges to Swans to Wizards and finally now just sticking with Yeti Aviars. I'm sure I missed probably 4 other putters too.[/COLOR]
My putter history is definitely a future post.