• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Surge vs. Wraith

mickas

Eagle Member
I'm sure there is a thread out there somewhere on this exact topic but I couldn't find it in the search.

I have been throwing surges for "Max" distance for a while now and I can push them a little over 350, the problem is I've been using the same two ND ESP surges for about six months and being in Wisconsin there are a lot of trees on the courses so my surges are pretty beat. In any kind of headwind they seem to flip and just hold an anny, it's can't be OAT because of all the work I've been doing with comets lately. My question is, "if I wanted to get a new max distance driver that flies like a new surge for windier days that won't break in so fast should I get a max weight Z surge? a wraith? something else?"

thanks for reading :hfive:

surge and wraith are both very similar, you would probably have more luck getting a max weight surge fir a headwind than a wraith

You could also look at something like a Z Avenger, S/QOLF or Champ/Star Starfire as well. They handle wind better at higher speeds so they'll be more predictable in the wind than a Surge/Wraith even when they beat up a bit.

There are quite a few more options, but those are my three favorites.

Try a Z Avenger. Not the fastest driver out there and not the most overstable, but I think it will provide you with the stability in the wind and the Z plastic will stay newer longer. I'm still sometimes surprised when my beat Avenger finishes with a hyzer. Love that disc. Couldn't hurt to try a Z Surge either though if you really, really dig that flight path.

I own and regularly use wraiths, surges and avengers. I've found that surges, even newer ones, are the flippiest of those three discs with avengers being slightly less flippy and wraiths being the least.

I love my surge, but I can't use it into a headwind without putting hyzer on it and even then I don't fully trust it. I also don't have great luck with my z avenger into headwinds either. Out of three, only the wraith performs consistently in any wind condition be it upwind, downwind or no wind at all. It also can eb thrown just as far as my surge which is further than my avenger flies as well.

Avenger was a good answer, or you could try the crush. When I don't want my surge to turn over I throw a crush.

Personally, I think the FLX plastic is the best out there. I switched from a Star Wraith to a FLX Surge SS and haven't looked back since. I also carry a FLX Avenger SS from time to time, but the Surge is the money for me.
I will also second the vote for the Champ Starfire...I'll often use that when I decide to "club down" on windy days.

the FLX Surge is definitly more stable the the ESP Surge. i think it handles the wind great. the wraith i didnt like cause its very unpredictable in the wind. the flx surge was very consistent and super durable. the esp surge was a a bit flippy and beat up realy fast.

ive had this same issue myself; ive found that the pulse is very similar to the surge as far as flight path, but is more stable to be sure. i would recommend it.

I've thrown a Wraith much more than I've thrown a Surge, but I felt like the Surge had more high speed turn, so I would think a Wraith might be better in a headwind.

In headwind I use Star Wraith, regular shots I use Pro Wraith. I threw the Surge and never liked it. Not as predictable as the Wraith in my opinion.

Wraith's and Surges are both flippy at 350' plus (at least for me). Beef up.

they really shouldn't be flippy until well over 400', unless they are getting beat.

IMO, Surges are a little less HSS than wraiths, but similar glide and LSS.

Last night I threw a brand new champ glow wraith on a hole. I released it with about 30deg hyzer. It flipped, stayed flipped and landed about 450' from the tee and across the street. I'm just figuring out how to throw far, so that could be it, but Wraith's in general have been flippy for me since I started. No, i'm not OATing discs.

Do all Wraiths do this or just the Glo?

I throw Wraiths alot and it takes a beat in pro Wraith for it to get flippy on me or a headwind. In which case I go with a Star Wraith which seem to be more stable to me. I'm not saying I never flipped a wraith but when I did it was because of form more than anything else.

Last night I threw a brand new champ glow wraith on a hole. I released it with about 30deg hyzer. It flipped, stayed flipped and landed about 450' from the tee and across the street. I'm just figuring out how to throw far, so that could be it, but Wraith's in general have been flippy for me since I started. No, i'm not OATing discs.

you're way out of my league then, I max out closer to 410', but wraiths aren't really flippy for me at that distance. They flip up from a hyzer release, but don't really turn over.

Spitfire, I don't know. All Wraiths have been pretty HS understable for me, the regular champs have more fade it seems. Victor, I'm only just now breaking 350' with any kind of consistancy (don't need to most holes). This was no doubt a bad throw as it turned over and kept sailing right, but it was an intended hyzer flip.

I've thrown a 170 surge, two 171 wraiths, and a 172 z avenger, and i'd say for wind the avenger is what you want, it can do so much stuff. wraiths in max weight should be good too. get both and feel it out.

Latest posts