• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Wraith vs Surge

seedlings

* Ace Member *
If you've thrown Wraiths and Surges, I'm interested in how they compare for you. I just lost a new Star wraith in a huge poison ivy and wild blackberry patch. I looked for 30m but the shrubberies won…

I might pick up a couple more Wraiths. Or Surges? Can't say I've ever seen a Discraft pro throwing the Surge. Maybe there's a reason.

Not interested in the Surge SS.

The Wraith vs. Surge debate goes back years. General consensus is Wraith > Surge, but with Innova's typically inconsistent molding people tend to like particular runs of Wraiths.

I have concluded that both are too much disc for me, so I have no opinion.

The Wraith vs. Surge debate goes back years. General consensus is Wraith > Surge, but with Innova's typically inconsistent molding people tend to like particular runs of Wraiths.

I have concluded that both are too much disc for me, so I have no opinion.
I throw a well beat in 152g starlight wraith that does beautiful flexes for me if thrown right. Best disc I've ever thrown for distance for me personally. If you have not tried lighter weights they may surprise you.

Ha back in the day I was Throwasurge... I found the surge easier to bank a tight S with.. The wraiths were more straight to fade depending on run. DX wandered a lot more and champ was pretty straight with a decent hookup. The surge was more "linear" a good bit of turn on a tight path but easier to estimate turn vs fade. I did throw almost all shaky Z surges. I preferred the surge for BH but I think the wraith was a better FH disc from watching others.

Wraith felt more destroyer and the Surge was a long eagle.. Slightly more distance potential on the wraith but slightly better chances for placement with a surge.

Last edited:
I throw a well beat in 152g starlight wraith that does beautiful flexes for me if thrown right. Best disc I've ever thrown for distance for me personally. If you have not tried lighter weights they may surprise you.

Lighter Pro Wraiths work great to for weaker arms too. Tough to find recently, and they can vary greatly in dominess, but they are an excellent option as well.

I found the surge easier to bank a tight S with.. The wraiths were more straight to fade depending on run.

this is what I came in here to say. It's similar to the teebird/eagle debate. The wraith is a little better for straight to fade and one angle shots, the surge has a little more high speed turn and can work more varied lines off the shelf. Keep in mind I'm just a normal guy and not James Conrad so I'm not throwing 500' turnovers with a speed 11 disc

I've been a big Star Wraith fan as of late, and have bought around 10 or so over the past 5 months. They all came out looking the exact same (same wing shape, same plh, same dome). They all fly the same too.

Wraith seems to be one of the more consistently molded distance drivers from Innova.

As far as flight, out of the box I find them to basically be longer Teebirds. Long and straight with consistent fade. After several months, I find them to be longer beat in Teebirds. Long and straight with a long lasting and subtle rightward drift, then a small fade.

Yep. Good read. I have had three Trespasses and lost all of them turning in slight wind and never came back. The Wraith I just lost (should be able to find it in early winter when the shrubbery leaves fall off), had massive dome, and was pleasantly overstable compared to the slightly domey Wraith in the bag. Until I can handle a Surge in-store, I'll wait until the Wraith supply returns. Clerk said they had 1100 Innova discs en route.

This is very easy to notice in a store. Clerk said the new Star runs are very domey.

I agree. I've been buying lots of star Wraiths lately and almost all of them have nice dome and great wing shape. Have been bombers.

anybody have an opinion on the surge ss? I have 5 different wraiths and most of them are on the stable to OS spectrum which I like. would also be nice to have something at that speed but flippier... I want to say paige throws or used to throw surge ss

The Surge SS was one of the first discs I could get decent distance with when I first started playing.

I definitely didn't have (and still don't have) a big arm so I am assuming it must be fairly understable or user friendly. I do remember the glide seemed phenomenal compared to the Valkyries I was throwing at the time for my distance shots for whatever that's worth.

You obviously got Wraiths from the same run. They've been my primary distance driver for several years and different runs are like a box of chocolates.

I've gotten 3 different runs of Star Wraiths over the past year. Each looks the exact same. The first batch of two was from the Black Friday run Infinite had last Fall. The 2nd batch was earlier in the Spring this year from Infinite. The most recent was from a batch Infinite had just this past week. I'm not saying that inevitable mold variation doesn't exist but some of you guys make Innova out to be incompetent with their molding process.

I've gotten 3 different runs of Star Wraiths over the past year. Each looks the exact same. I'm not saying that inevitable mold variation exists, but some of you guys make Innova out to be incompetent with their molding process.

So how do you know they're different runs if they all look the same?

Surge vs Wraith

I generally find the Surge to have a little more turn and a later fade than the Wraith. Surges are also a little longer.

Both molds need dome to be any good. Flat Surges and Wraiths tend to be very overstable and severely lack glide.

Wraith: 11, 5, -1, 3
Surge: 11, 5, -2, 2

I've thrown Wraiths, currently have a few PFN 12x Stars that are basically dead straight with a bit of fade depending on height, though the Z Surges I've got seem to be more stable I found a real friend with the Surge SS. Really a great choice if you like to throw on more hyzer plus there are runs of the Surge SS that are way more stable than others, the difference between a 166g Z and a 174g Z is honestly kind of impressive. Big thing to note is that the Wraith is a 21mm rim and the Surge is a 22mm which some people can feel the difference in, the Surge SS is back down to 21mm and basically mirrors the feel of a wraith but the good ones fly more like a beat-in champ wraith when brand new. I don't throw over 11 speed and the Surge SS is my high turnover bomber.

Latest posts