• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flick vs. Stiletto

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Due to request, I've decided to do a write up of the Flick (Z) vs. the Stiletto (Opto). These are two discs of different speeds, but very similar (over)stability.

The Flick is listed at 12, 3, 1, 5. The Stiletto is listed at 13, 3, 0.5, 5. Flick is unknown weight (170+). Stiletto is 168g.

Stiletto rim depth: 1.1 CM. Rim width: 2.3 CM.
Flick rim depth 1.1 CM. Rim width: 2.1 CM.

The Flick is a mold I've bagged and thrown for probably 10+ years. Over that time I've thrown several different ones. Most Flicks are brutally overstable, but I've seen a couple that weren't. When a Flick develops high speed turn it'll actually cruise pretty well and cover pretty big distance. That said, I don't like when Flicks get flippy. When I throw a Flick, I have a very specific shot in mind. I don't want turn, and I want it to fade HARD. I usually throw the Flick sidearm, but I'll occasionally muscle up on it backhand if the wind is blowing. The Flick is a great wind fighter. The disc is so fast and glideless that it isn't affected much.

The Stiletto I don't have much experience with. I've thrown one before, but only a handful of times, and not for several years.

Now, for the observations....

Both discs have very shallow rims. You notice it immediately when picking them up. The shallow rim can negatively affect backhand (slippage), but I feel it aids in easier releases sidearm.

No dome at all on either disc. Very flat. I've never seen a Flick with dome. I don't know if Stilettos ever have dome or not.

Remarkably similar looking flights, both backhand and sidearm. Thrown flat, the Flick and Stiletto will start fading pretty much immediately. Very consistent, super overstable flights. Both discs are easy to aim for that reason. You know exactly how they'll fly and where they'll end up.

The Stiletto is faster and longer than the Flick. The few throws I devoted to sheer distance rips, I noticed about 25' difference between the two. The Stiletto did 360' a couple times, and the Flick only did about 330'. Sidearm I was right at about 300' with both of them. A note: I'm not a remarkable sidearm thrower. It isn't something I do in the field for sheer distance practice.

From a glide standpoint, neither disc was impressive (nor were they supposed to be). However, the Stiletto definitely out-glided the Flick. That, coupled with a later fade made the Stiletto longer.

Both discs fade hard, but the Flick faded harder and sooner than the Stiletto. When these discs land, they do so like lawn darts, at a 45 degree angle. I threw both discs on severe anhyzer angles a few times. That was the only way I was able to get any real distance out of them. Both discs fight out of an anny quickly.

Conclusions: The Flick and Stiletto are two pretty hardcore overstable drivers. Neither mold glides, nor are they affected by wind. The two discs fly almost exactly the same, but the Flick glides a little less and fades harder than the Stiletto. My only concern with the Stiletto is the Opto plastic. As hard as this disc lands, that plastic gets chewed up fairly quickly. Discraft's Z plastic is way more durable. Thrown hard and anny I was able to get 25-30' more out of the Stiletto over the Flick consistently.

My numbers:

Flick: 12, 3, 1, 5. I'm going to stick with the factory numbers here. The Flick doesn't even pretend to fly flat, and it has a LOT of late fade. No glide to speak of either.

Stiletto: 14, 4, 1, 4. The Stiletto is fast. I'm going to bump the speed up to 14 on this one. It also has a little glide. The late fade also isn't quite as abrupt as the Flick. I wonder if the Stiletto breaks in and gets flippier. I know Opto plastic isn't super durable. Honestly, the disc this reminds me of most is the Gladiator. They have remarkably similar flights, and I don't know why L64 even has them both in the lineup.

This is super helpful! I have a Flick and wanted a Stiletto, but... not worth the small difference. Keep these write ups going.

I haven't handled a Flick, but I have a Stiletto. It has a stupid wide rim, definitely at least speed 13 sized rim.

This is super helpful! I have a Flick and wanted a Stiletto, but... not worth the small difference. Keep these write ups going.

You won't need both. The Stiletto can definitely be powered out for more yardage than the Flick, but the 2 molds do basically the same thing.

I had never even considered that the two would be interchangeable, I always thought the Stiletto was more in the Warhorse/PD2 camp(my experience is that it can be similarly long). And the Flick was more like a Spirit/Max. But admittedly I've thrown it much less.

I had never even considered that the two would be interchangeable, I always thought the Stiletto was more in the Warhorse/PD2 camp(my experience is that it can be similarly long). And the Flick was more like a Spirit/Max. But admittedly I've thrown it much less.

I imagine someone with a big sidearm like you would find the Stiletto longer than the Flick. The Stiletto won't turn, but it'll glide a little more and fade later (and not quite as harshly) as the Flick.

Make no mistake, the Flick is very, very overstable.

I imagine someone with a big sidearm like you would find the Stiletto longer than the Flick. The Stiletto won't turn, but it'll glide a little more and fade later (and not quite as harshly) as the Flick.

Make no mistake, the Flick is very, very overstable.

Maybe I'll get a new one to mess around with. The one I had was used and I didn't have as good form back then.

Maybe I'll get a new one to mess around with. The one I had was used and I didn't have as good form back then.

I think over time the Stiletto will break in and start turning. Opto plastic has a habit of wearing in pretty quickly. If you beat the heck out of it I don't think it'll keep stability long.

Agree with Moose not McCoy. Have bagged both since the Stiletto came out. Per MSt flight guide, Flick is a 21mm, Stiletto a 24mm. Stiletto is just a slightly smaller, slightly less OS Nuke OS. If beat in they act like a nice Enforcer. The Flick doesn't have the same distance capability (throwing OHs, BHs, or FHs...although for some reason I prefer them for FH rollers) as the Stiletto. The Flick is an easier (for most people) to grip 'utility disc' while the Stiletto can be - if beat in enough - a primary driver. Both can be equally stupidly OS.

I think over time the Stiletto will break in and start turning. Opto plastic has a habit of wearing in pretty quickly. If you beat the heck out of it I don't think it'll keep stability long.

Oh I've done that, I mean a Flick. I've got a beat in first run Stiletto that bombs. I threw it 473 in a video a while back.