• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Shryke vs. Catalyst

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
Today's head to head matchup in the field was (Star) Shryke vs. (Neutron) Catalyst. These are a couple fast, understable driver molds.

The Catalyst is listed at 13, 5.5, -2, 2. The Shryke is listed at 13, 6, -2, 2. Shryke is 175g. IDK what weight the Catalyst is, but it's 170+.

The Catalyst has a massive dome. This is probably the domiest MVP/Axiom driver I've ever seen. Shryke has some dome, but not as much as the Catalyst.

First thing that was immediately evident was that the Catalyst had more high speed turn than the Shryke, and it was easier to achieve. My first several throws with the Catalyst were "turns and burns". The Shryke handles power much better without getting finicky. Even when the Shryke bled right it would hook up late and come back. Oftentimes the Catalyst wouldn't.

Both discs have similar speed and glide. Max distance with both was about 450' (which is just a hair short of my max power). The Catalyst had more side to side S curve. I feel like it lost a little distance for that reason. Plus, it was finicky enough that I didn't feel like I could mash on it fully. The huge dome could have also been getting in the way. I feel like the Catalyst somewhat underperformed from a distance standpoint. I was expecting more out of it.

The Catalyst was by far the harder of the two discs to throw successfully. It seemed to have a very narrow window of effectiveness. It didn't hyzerflip well, but it also turned and burned hard on full power flat throws. The few good throws I had with the Catalyst were long and fun to watch, but most of my tosses with this disc were either flips or hyzer stalls.

The Shryke was an overall far more solid flier. It didn't really surprise me with anything, but produced steady, straight power. The Shryke was much more resistant to flipping over, and would take all the arm I had to give it.

My numbers:

Shryke: 13, 5, -2, 2. Some Shrykes (especially G*s) have 6 glide. The one I threw today wasn't quite as glidey.

Catalyst: 13, 5, -3, 2. I've thrown other Catalysts before, and had similar experiences with them. This is a very long, but finicky flier. When the Catalyst turns over, it'll usually stay there. If you're not hitting your hyzerflips perfect, this disc won't help you at all. Honestly, I feel like the Mayhem handles power better than the Catalyst. Every time I really bore down and threw the Catalyst hard it would turn over, even with a hyzer release.

Both of these are good, long, understable drivers. However, I'd take the Shryke on the course before the Catalyst. The Catalyst is too prone to catastrophic random flipping. I found that I had almost zero control with it.

Great write-up! I haven't thrown either of those, but I am a big fan of the Pharaoh. I have thrown the Relativity (sadly lost) and have a Teleport. So now I know a Catalyst isn't worth trying, and I really like trying discs. I might like a Shryke, but I have four Pharaohs now. I hope more people do these write ups. Sometimes they are more helpful than a video.

Nice write up!

I can't get my catalyst to go fast enough to use it but for a bad torquey fh chop I would take a Mayhem for sure! I also can't get it up to speed... but I can tell how they fly and the Mayhem is better for sure you can tell even at 300' downhill haha. As a former Nuke and Force thrower the Mayhem is right up my alley... though it's more Surge like, a little turn a little fade and a big friggin sexy wide wing.

Great write-up! I haven't thrown either of those, but I am a big fan of the Pharaoh. I have thrown the Relativity (sadly lost) and have a Teleport. So now I know a Catalyst isn't worth trying, and I really like trying discs. I might like a Shryke, but I have four Pharaohs now. I hope more people do these write ups. Sometimes they are more helpful than a video.

I won't say the Catalyst isn't worth trying. I actually like the way it flies. It's just so damn finicky. When you smash the Catalyst just right it flies beautifully as far as any other driver out there. However, I wouldn't have any confidence in the Catalyst on any hole that isn't super wide open. Some of the shots I took with it today went out of the zip code... the wrong direction.

I like the Mayhem, Relativity, and Excite better than the Catalyst.

If you or anyone else has any requests for other head to head driver matchups, LMK. I have lots of discs, and I can probably review anything.

Nice write up!

I can't get my catalyst to go fast enough to use it but for a bad torquey fh chop I would take a Mayhem for sure! I also can't get it up to speed... but I can tell how they fly and the Mayhem is better for sure you can tell even at 300' downhill haha. As a former Nuke and Force thrower the Mayhem is right up my alley... though it's more Surge like, a little turn a little fade and a big friggin sexy wide wing.

I've had pretty good luck with Mayhems. They're slightly harder to turn than a Catalyst, and far less likely to flip all the way over.

Comparisons I'd like to see:
Corvette vs Pharaoh
Mako vs MD
Drone vs Anvil
FD3 vs Firebird
Stiletto vs Flick
... could do this all day.

I wanna know what happens if a mayhem was there. TWMcy whatever has too much juice and talent for a catalyst! Mayhem! The catalyst is a hunk o junk and Im not even in the speed range!

Like um I haven't thrown a stroke.. Haha shryke but like duh.

(Haha twmmcmoose) duh! :D

(Meant lovingly) did I include enough emojis ha ha :)

Last edited:
Damn edited out... does the word:

Flipturd

Have meaning to you! Hey I coined the word "cheese tax" last week I wonder if flipturd is available on urban dictionary

Comparisons I'd like to see:
Corvette vs Pharaoh
Mako vs MD
Drone vs Anvil
FD3 vs Firebird
Stiletto vs Flick
... could do this all day.

I don't have any Anvils, but I have everything else.

I can tell you already that the Corvette is a hell of a lot longer than the Pharaoh. Faster, too.

Stiletto vs. Flick will be the ultimate test of glideless, super overstable discs. I've thown both, but never together.

Firebird vs. FD3 could be interesting as well.

Another one I might do soon is something like Zone vs. Razor Claw.

Stiletto vs. Flick will be the ultimate test of glideless, super overstable discs. I've thown both, but never together.
A 'comparison' might be worth something, but also might be an 'apples and oranges' exercise as one is a 2.1 cm and the other a 2.4 cm.

I can tell you already that the Corvette is a hell of a lot longer than the Pharaoh. Faster, too.

Ooh, nice! Their 'measurements' are nearly identical. I'm interested... to the point I might start shopping Corvettes, if I know what to look for (plastic, dome, wing, etc).

Ooh, nice! Their 'measurements' are nearly identical. I'm interested... to the point I might start shopping Corvettes, if I know what to look for (plastic, dome, wing, etc).

I guess it depends what you really want out of a Corvette. I've thrown stars and G*s. Stars tend to be a little beefy and flat. G*s have more turn and dome.

G* Corvettes are one of the longest discs I've ever thrown. They fly like longer, slightly faster Shrykes.

I guess it depends what you really want out of a Corvette. I've thrown stars and G*s. Stars tend to be a little beefy and flat. G*s have more turn and dome.

G* Corvettes are one of the longest discs I've ever thrown. They fly like longer, slightly faster Shrykes.

What about Pro? There aren't any G* in stock (that I have found yet).

I was deciding between a Turn and Archon for a long bomber with Valkyrie like flight and only a few plastics of the Turn were not as flippy so I went with the Archon not knowing the Champion which was the first plastic the mold was out in was a dud for normal use with a 1-2 in glide, well that is officially the first US wind disc I have seen in my life. Then the Star Archon was nice longer by about 20 feet sometimes 25 feet Valkyrie. Both were ~170 grams so weight was not the issue.

I want Dimension/Delirium vs. Boss

I don't have a Delirium, but I do have a Dimension.

I could make this happen. I have lots of star and champion Bosses.

I haven't thrown the Dimension in a while. From what I remember it's pretty overstable.

TWM, how would you compare the Catalyst to a Ballista? Pretty similar?

TWM, how would you compare the Catalyst to a Ballista? Pretty similar?

Funny you mention that. I actually had a gold line Ballista out there the same day I threw the Catalyst and Shryke.

I feel like the Ballista hyzerflips better than the Catalyst. It has about the same amount of high speed turn, but does it in a more nuanced, predictable manner.

The best way I can describe it is this: The Ballista actually turns a little easier (with less effort) than the Catalyst. However, the Catalyst is more likely to stay turned and not come back. Where the Ballista will fly a nice S curve, the Catalyst is more likely to keep bombing right and not try to fade back late. The Catalyst performs poorly when you mash it at 100% power. The Ballista does fine at 100% power with a hyzer release. Both discs are understable, but the Ballista simply flies more consistent lines. There isn't as much randomness in its flights.

I've thrown quite a few Ballistas over the years, and liked most of them.

Ballista: 13, 5, -3, 2
Catalyst: 13, 6, -3, 2

Almost identical numbers, but different for the reason(s) I mentioned above. The Catalyst will out-glide the Ballista, but the Ballista turns and fades more consistently. Distance-wise they're very similar.

If I had to bag one or the other it'd be the Ballista. I just have a better feel for them.

When it comes to Ballista Pros, those damn things are SOOOOOO inconsistent. They can be super flippy or almost grossly overstable. I've really come to distrust that mold. They remind me of Katanas in their inconsistency.

Last edited:

Latest posts