• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swearing on the course

masterbeato said:
in ball golf it is a courtesy violation to swear and you get warned, stroked or even kicked out of the tournament!

I started playing ball golf when I was 11. I heard more swearing on the golf course in one round than in an entire year on the school playground. I played for almost 20 years and I never once heard anyone ever warned for using foul language.

sorry for being wrong, i am stupid and i know it but i just thought there was .......

better cut that one off and instead say.....

and i love honey bunches of oats!

me and my psychologist have been working on controlling the temper problem and confidence issues :D

Dan, I've met you, and you're far from stupid. Perhaps a litte sick and crazy, though.

I'm sure whether or not foul language on the ball golf course gets you in trouble depends a lot on where you play and who you play with. Like at a charitable tournament or a televised event, or at a course near a neihborhood or condominiums or the local swimming pool I'm sure they wouldn't take to kindly to players dropping F bombs all day.

So wait, has it been honey buches of oats this whole time and not oats and honey?
I think I've got a box of honey bunches of oats in the cabinet right now. Probably 5 months old and stale. I tink I'll have them for supper. cuz I'm dum.

maybe i am a little crazy you may be be right.

i just got some today because because they are the shiz.

My honey bunches of oats were a little stale, but they were still amazing.
Like baklava in a bowl. I ate the whole box :oops: and drank like half a gallon of milk.
Then I started playing my starcraft expansion set. Super productive evening.

I'll add my .2, I curse like crazy on or off the course. I try to curtail it on the course. Disc golf already has a stoner image problem. We don't need to add foul mouth idiot to it as well. Besides most courses are in public parks with plenty of kids around. I don't want to be the reason that a young kid is going to school calling his classmates fucking cocks.

My playing partners say that I don't swear enough. They say they'd rather hear me swear once in a while rather than getting upset with my poor playing by kicking my bag, etc.

i crossed paths with a group last weekend that was yelling f-bombs like mad. when I told them to watch their language in a public/family park they looked at me like i was crazy (and tried starting a fight).... man i hate stupid people.

Just watch Tiger on TV... End of story!

I would rather my son hear someone swearing, rather than seeing a bunch of dope heads smoking a bowl on a course! Lets see, one is against the law...

KaosDiscgolf said:
Just watch Tiger on TV... End of story!

I would rather my son hear someone swearing, rather than seeing a bunch of dope heads smoking a bowl on a course! Lets see, one is against the law...

Hopefully not for long it won't be :p ....sorry slight little drift there

Anyways back on track, yes I swear on the course but usually not allot. Usually takes a little bit for me to actually say anything worse then "damn it".

dmhflip said:
My playing partners say that I don't swear enough. They say they'd rather hear me swear once in a while rather than getting upset with my poor playing by kicking my bag, etc.

I hates me some bag kicking.

Depends on the volume. Cursing under your breath is fine by me. Shouting obscenities is really obnoxious. Not swearing at all is better. I tend to have much more fun when playing with people who are also having fun.

Do you really want to be that guy who is dragging everyone else down? Then if you have a bad shot, take it like a man. Make a joke, or shut up.

The bag kicking, swearing, etc. are all a result of stress put on yourself for not meeting your expectations. Could be that your expectations are unrealistic. Somebody mentioned Tiger, and I suspect that he plays so well, so often, he just expects it all the time, which is unrealistic.

I guy I play with kicks his bag and swears out loud fairly often. What frustrates him is he'll go into his back yard and putt like a demon, but on the course, he'll make stupid mistakes like missing a 15' or 20' putt. He can't stand to miss a fairway or hit a tree. He's basically suffering under the pressure and not meeting his unrealistically high expectations for his round.

While I'm not the poster child for how to act 100% of the time, I try to make every shot the best it can be and then live with that. What irks me is when I realize after the throw/putt, that I was on auto pilot and really didn't try at all. Ungh!

For the majority of us, we're not pros, so expecting to shoot a 1,000+ rated round every time or anytime we like is probably not the norm. So that needs to be accepted. If you could, then touring might be a good option for you.

Second, humans are fallible. Thus, even on your best day with all the luck you can get, you're not going to play a perfect game.

Accepting what you are and how you play is the first step to not losing control (which only hurts your game). Once you know where you stack up, you can go about attempting to improve yourself.

black udder said:
Accepting what you are and how you play is the first step to not losing control (which only hurts your game). Once you know where you stack up, you can go about attempting to improve yourself.

QFT

A few comments:

1) I frequently play with my wife and kids, and don't want my 3 y.o. and 1 y.o. spouting obscenities (the 3 y.o. says whatever he hears, that's what 3 y.o.s do).

2) I've asked friends to tone down their language. Nobody has ever been disrespectful of my requests.

3) I've asked other random course swearers to tone down their language, too. Nobody has ever been disrespectful of those requests either.

If you are offended by swearing, you need to either grow a thicker shell, or politely encourage others to curtail their swearing around you and yours. Both are fine.

4) The First Amendment has no bearing on this discussion unless the park (government) tries to enforce a ban on swearing. For more on banning swearing, study con law.

5) I try not to swear, ever, but I'm not perfect and don't expect others to be.

roman said:
The problem is that most disc golf courses are on public parks. There are walking paths throughout, and often even playgrounds within earshot. If it was on land designated specifically for disc golf use, then I would understand that it's up to the parents to decide whether they want to take their kids there because they may be exposed to certain behaviors, but at a public park that is frequented by little kids it becomes the players responsibility to control themselves.
That's pretty much it. Shouting obscenities is a great way to help get a course removed from a public park.

Since most courses are on public land and you are playing for free, you are an ambassador for the sport any time you are on the course.

Dogma said:
roman said:
Since most courses are on public land and you are playing for free, you are an ambassador for the sport any time you are on the course.

I wish more people realized this! My local park has a walking path circling the front 8 holes and bordering another 11 or 12 (27 hole course). I try to keep my cool when I am playing poorly because there is always someone within earshot.
Pretty much the only time I swear is when I am suggesting to somebody they should really pick up their dogs S**t! Grrrr!