• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swedish noob needs disc advice.

I must say I'm really happy about my new discs, love the gstar plastic!

Feel more comfortable driving with the tl3 and I'm sure that I'll get some new distances as soon as I learn a consistent grip and to control a slight anhyzer throw to get that beautiful s-flight.

The Vroc made instant mid improvements for me, wonderful straight flight. Interestingly I'm now less scared of and got a couple of decent throws with my Roc3, I just have to learn how to utilize that fade. :)

Next practice will focus on finesse rather than power, been throwing so hard I strained my back leg... More warm up and stretching is in place. :D

As I've gotten more power into my throws my putters and the Stingray started flipping (goes of to the right)? I assume this is more due to unclean releases rather than overpowering. Or lack of spin maybe... Can't wait to get out again on Wednesday. Improvements on each round really makes you eager to get out!

I must say I'm really happy about my new discs, love the gstar plastic!

Feel more comfortable driving with the tl3 and I'm sure that I'll get some new distances as soon as I learn a consistent grip and to control a slight anhyzer throw to get that beautiful s-flight.

The Vroc made instant mid improvements for me, wonderful straight flight. Interestingly I'm now less scared of and got a couple of decent throws with my Roc3, I just have to learn how to utilize that fade. :)

Next practice will focus on finesse rather than power, been throwing so hard I strained my back leg... More warm up and stretching is in place. :D

As I've gotten more power into my throws my putters and the Stingray started flipping (goes of to the right)? I assume this is more due to unclean releases rather than overpowering. Or lack of spin maybe... Can't wait to get out again on Wednesday. Improvements on each round really makes you eager to get out!

I suspect that the Stingray and putters flipping is probably OAT or it is that you are trying to throw them flat without enough height/hyzer.

I suspect that the Stingray and putters flipping is probably OAT or it is that you are trying to throw them flat without enough height/hyzer.

Probably simply focusing too much on power over technique rather than applying too much force. Thank you, cleaning up my follow through, release and experiment with hyzer angles will be next practice. :)

Driving putter is good for short holes, so you can throw a disc full power instead of trying to power down a higher speed disc, most discs don't power down very well.

I read about Aviar3, will have to get one ASAP!
Probably the Aviar closest to Yetis pro version?

Wow, I tried the Stingray with a hyzer angle today, might have to bring that in my next round. Straightened up on its own and went laserbeam...

I love the TL3, gonna try to give it a little anhyzer to compensate for the notable fade but even thrown straight I get some decent (230'+) distance with it.

Is it just me or is the Vroc overstable enough to not want to keep an anhyzer line? Practiced by throwing around my house and it seemed as or even more prone as the Roc3 to straighten out. Cool for avoiding nearby obstacle to later straighten and glide for 60'. :p

Can't wait for the discs you sent asromatifoso, the wombat might really be what I lack in mid range discs and the other 2 just seem freaking great!

Im addicted to throwing discs...

I read about Aviar3, will have to get one ASAP!
Probably the Aviar closest to Yetis pro version?

Wow, I tried the Stingray with a hyzer angle today, might have to bring that in my next round. Straightened up on its own and went laserbeam...

I love the TL3, gonna try to give it a little anhyzer to compensate for the notable fade but even thrown straight I get some decent (230'+) distance with it.

Is it just me or is the Vroc overstable enough to not want to keep an anhyzer line? Practiced by throwing around my house and it seemed as or even more prone as the Roc3 to straighten out. Cool for avoiding nearby obstacle to later straighten and glide for 60'. :p

Can't wait for the discs you sent asromatifoso, the wombat might really be what I lack in mid range discs and the other 2 just seem freaking great!

Im addicted to throwing discs...

Cool! Yeah, hopefully they'll get there early next week; that would be around 10 days.

Cool! Yeah, hopefully they'll get there early next week; that would be around 10 days.

Went for a short practice and test even though it rained. Thank you so much!

Had a horrible day release wise and a slightly hurting shoulder.
The Polaris seems sweet! Just the disc I wanted to pair with my Tl3. The buzz was super, threw it better than my other mids right away, like the plastic. :)

The wombat was scary to grip but I believe I might learn to throw it.

Attachments

• DSC_0427.jpg
    DSC_0427.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 10
Went for a short practice and test even though it rained. Thank you so much!

Had a horrible day release wise and a slightly hurting shoulder.
The Polaris seems sweet! Just the disc I wanted to pair with my Tl3. The buzz was super, threw it better than my other mids right away, like the plastic. :)

The wombat was scary to grip but I believe I might learn to throw it.

Glad they got there and that you are enjoying them! Great pic too; funny to see some discs I've bagged find a new home in Sweden. Enjoy!

It's fun how all discs behavior change with throw speed... :D

Last 2 rounds I went minibag, short (170-325') wooded par 3 holes mostly:
Polaris and Tl3
Roc3 and Vroc (buzz as in-between disc #6)
Nova

The Vroc now feel like a very neutral disc with a little but notable fade, very possible to throw both curves or to be hyzerfliped for tunnel shots.
The nova I've learned to love as I get clean releases, straight gliding approaches that land and stick super well. Hyzerfliped for tunnel shots or down-/up-hill approach to mid range. Real great to stay on fairway with decent distance.

I want to thank everyone that has answered and helped me get such a nice start in this sport. I don't have crazy distance but I prefer to focus on technique and aim. I can get my FDs to 220' continuously but more importantly I can understand disc behavior, find the right one for the throw and at least sometimes manage to s-curve most of my discs. :)

Now I have a new question.

What discs should I stick with as I'm working towards steady 300' throws?
When on the course it's hard to resist getting those FDs out for anything above 200', would it be more educating working my Roc3 for these throws? I now feel like I'm starting to flip this disc when driving but I bet that's due to faulty form rather than it being difficult to throw 180' with a mid range?

It's so hard to get a healthy picture when mostly playing these short wooded courses with people who grab a driver as soon as the first throw is 150' straight.

Today I'm going to maybe the coasts most well made course, deep in the forest with epic tee signs carved into Boulders (gotta snap you some pics). I'll try to use mid range discs for everything less than 250'.

How should I think when driving with a mid range? How much hyzer angle should I expect to need for a 180' throw? Do I need this hyzer angle due to imperfect form or is it natural? At the moment I'm having best success hyzerfliping my Vroc but a few throws I've seen the higher potential in a good shot with healthy HS turn on the Roc3.

I think one trap is all the driving tutorials, it so much easier to find advice for full power drives than mid range driving.

How much hyzer angle should I expect to need for a 180' throw?

Zero. Should be able to get that on a clean, flat release. At least that's what I've experienced. There is a park that I go to for field work 3 or 4 times a week. It has an open field as well as a wooded area with trails. One drill I practice involves two trees with about an eight foot gap (three paces for me, I'm not tall) between them. Using a standstill throw, I start at 100 feet and throw 5 Aviars and Rocs with the goal of throwing them straight through the gap. Then I move back to 125 feet, then 150 feet, then 175 feet. It is almost like putting practice where you start at a certain distance and move back when you make a certain number of putts. You can probably extend this to driving practice: try to land the disc in a 40 foot circle from 200 feet away, then move back gradually.

Anyway, that's been my experience with putters and mids. For context, I have almost one year of experience playing now, so it is possible even for a newer player.

What discs should I stick with as I'm working towards steady 300' throws?

Train your form with putters and mids, but also practice throwing drivers to maintain a comfort level with them. On the course, it depends on your objective. If you want to work on form or course management or something like that, then try putter only/2 disc/3 disc rounds. If you just want to score well/experiment/just have fun, then throw whatever you need to accomplish that.

Zero. Should be able to get that on a clean, flat release. At least that's what I've experienced. There is a park that I go to for field work 3 or 4 times a week. It has an open field as well as a wooded area with trails. One drill I practice involves two trees with about an eight foot gap (three paces for me, I'm not tall) between them. Using a standstill throw, I start at 100 feet and throw 5 Aviars and Rocs with the goal of throwing them straight through the gap. Then I move back to 125 feet, then 150 feet, then 175 feet. It is almost like putting practice where you start at a certain distance and move back when you make a certain number of putts. You can probably extend this to driving practice: try to land the disc in a 40 foot circle from 200 feet away, then move back gradually.

Anyway, that's been my experience with putters and mids. For context, I have almost one year of experience playing now, so it is possible even for a newer player.

Good idea! This way I'll also learn how to change speed and release angle on the different discs to hit the target.

Train your form with putters and mids, but also practice throwing drivers to maintain a comfort level with them. On the course, it depends on your objective. If you want to work on form or course management or something like that, then try putter only/2 disc/3 disc rounds. If you just want to score well/experiment/just have fun, then throw whatever you need to accomplish that.

I understand, since I often play with company and play rounds rather than practice I'll find a middle way by only using the FDs on relatively long drives. This way I can play the game while practicing mostly with mid range.

I've already replaced my mid range discs with the nova for throws around 100' so I guess it's the natural step to now try to get better distance with my mids.

Done some playing and practicing, progress is great and I'm close to 250' standard field rip with my FDs.

I found a g* Mako3 and a Gold river in the 10$ box in a course shop. Dan Johanssons beat in discs, next time I'll get the blizzard destroyer, beat in roc and beat in San Marino Roc just because they're in the 5$ box. :D

The Mako3 is wonderful, a disc I feel can do what I would expect to bag 3 mids for. Also getting practically as far as my FDs on an all out hyzerflip (field only style). Paring it with MF Roc3 in my minibag.

The river is also wonderful, like the great Polaris ls I'm throwing but with a bit more glide? Throw it as far as the Tl3 (s-curve) on the field.

Next disc will be a heavier Nova. Really feel like this can stay my single putter.

I'm having so much fun...

Last edited:
Done some playing and practicing, progress is great and I'm close to 250' standard field rip with my FDs.

I found a g* Mako3 and a Gold river in the 10$ box in a course shop. Dan Johanssons beat in discs, next time I'll get the blizzard destroyer, beat in roc and beat in San Marino Roc just because they're in the 5$ box. :D

The Mako3 is wonderful, a disc I feel can do what I would expect to bag 3 mids for. Also getting practically as far as my FDs on an all out hyzerflip (field only style). Paring it with MF Roc3 in my minibag.

The river is also wonderful, like the great Polaris ls I'm throwing but with a bit more glide? Throw it as far as the Tl3 (s-curve) on the field.

Next disc will be a heavier Nova. Really feel like this can stay my single putter.

I'm having so much fun...

Nice; you have two of my favorite discs, the Mako3 and the River. Looks like you're doing great!

Nice; you have two of my favorite discs, the Mako3 and the River. Looks like you're doing great!

Yeah these two are just great. First round I played with the Mako3 it just did what I expected and wanted. With my imperfect technique it's understandable enough when thrown hard to get some hst but stable enough to come back again.
I think the buzz (what an amazing disc) will replace my Vroc as the slightly overstable mid in my 6 disc bag.

Yesterday I was a bad boy however.
Went to the local sport store to dig through their new boxes of discs in the search of a Nova. They didn't order any so I had to get myself a comfort disc instead. Now I have another reason to do more field practice... :D

Attachments

• DSC_0453.jpg
    DSC_0453.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 4
I came here because of your post in the Tern thread. What discs do you have around the speed 9-10 range? I really think you could do fine with a disc in that range as your best "distance driver" right now. Something like a Beast, Valkyrie, Avenger SS, or even an Undertaker would be a decent backhand driver. I mentioned that Tern for forehands because I've found higher speeds are useful when I throw forehand even if they're too fast for my backhand.

I came here because of your post in the Tern thread. What discs do you have around the speed 9-10 range? I really think you could do fine with a disc in that range as your best "distance driver" right now. Something like a Beast, Valkyrie, Avenger SS, or even an Undertaker would be a decent backhand driver. I mentioned that Tern for forehands because I've found higher speeds are useful when I throw forehand even if they're too fast for my backhand.

Thank you Sir!
Actually none, I throw TL3 and River as my fastest discs at the moment and to be honest few holes I play need anything much longer (wooded courses).

I do realize that jumping from speed 8 to 12 is stupid and now I'm trying to figure out if I should keep the Tern or out of economical reasons take it back for a Valk, Beast or maybe a Latitude Flow... Its after all almost worth 2 baseline discs. :)

I do intend to start practicing forehand as soon as I'm throwing around 300' so this could be another argument to keep the beauty, thanks!

Latest posts