• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Swedish noob needs disc advice.

I do intend to start practicing forehand as soon as I'm throwing around 300'

I thought the same thing but wish someone had told me this: learn forehand now. You don't have to wait to cross some arbitrary threshold.

Start with figuring out what FH grip is comfortable for you. Grab some putters (will give you instant form feedback for practice) and learn to flick them. Just using your wrist can get 100-150' so when you add some arm and lower body to the throw you should be getting more distance than that.

Overstable discs will mask form flaws, but I'd say go ahead and use them for forehand throws when you want/need to score well. But keep working on form with the putters until you can forehand them smooth without flutter or crashing over.

I thought the same thing but wish someone had told me this: learn forehand now. You don't have to wait to cross some arbitrary threshold.

Start with figuring out what FH grip is comfortable for you. Grab some putters (will give you instant form feedback for practice) and learn to flick them. Just using your wrist can get 100-150' so when you add some arm and lower body to the throw you should be getting more distance than that.

Overstable discs will mask form flaws, but I'd say go ahead and use them for forehand throws when you want/need to score well. But keep working on form with the putters until you can forehand them smooth without flutter or crashing over.

I will!
Right now im trying to figure out distance drivers so i have plenty discs that should mask a lot. ;)

I actually returned my champ Tern, too stable for me. Due to the price i got 3 used discs for barely more money.

Mint Frost Saint, will be very fun to try out, figured it might be great distance disc that also fills the spot of FD headwinder.

Almost new Gold Flow, very interesting to compare to my Almost new Opto (too stable for me). A couple grams lighter and hopefully act as my tight line DD.

Beat to almost flippy Gold Bolt, beauty. Repaired biggest damages with lighter and sandpaper. This will be my break-300'-barrier disc. :D

Finally got enough speed to really enjoy my mid ranges. God damn that Buzzz is good? My Vroc have very little chance to stay in my bag even though i've thrown it a lot more than the Buzz (wanted to learn it). Mako3 and Roc3 also serves me great. Finally see why slightly overstable discs are good. ;)

For FD's i feel quite at home, even though i like them so much i wanna bag 8.
River or Polaris LS depending on how much glide i want, Tl3 or Rival as slightly overstable (Rival fits role better (barely due to low weight) but i love that Tl3, if Saint acts well as 200' windfighter the Tl3 might take the slot).

Any day a 175g Nova lands and today 2 rounds on the home course with company is comping up, **** yea. :)

Hey guys! I have a friend that is showing great interest in disc golf and seems willing to take the time to learn the game. He wants to buy 3 discs to start, a putter, mid, driver. He still noob hyzers BH and has wobbly FH but shows potential and throws over 200ft fairly straight when not focused on power. He is relying on me to help him choose these discs. So any tips? Nenja seems to be having decent success while still having fun and was wondering if he or anyone else has advice.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Hey guys! I have a friend that is showing great interest in disc golf and seems willing to take the time to learn the game. He wants to buy 3 discs to start, a putter, mid, driver. He still noob hyzers BH and has wobbly FH but shows potential and throws over 200ft fairly straight when not focused on power. He is relying on me to help him choose these discs. So any tips? Nenja seems to be having decent success while still having fun and was wondering if he or anyone else has advice.

Well I'm the only one who who can answer for me but I'm a beginner still... :)

Sounds like he's already hooked so now you just need to get him a couple of good discs and tech advices.

What I would advice is to stay away from fast and overstable. Let him learn to release flat, controlled and fast.

Nova however is risky, sticky edges and flippy.
Amazing approach disc though. Go for a standard p&a, Aviar or simular, easier to putt with.

The best solo mid I've tried so far would probably be the Buzzz. Have some turn but also fade. Riskier but more educating would be Mako, superb do it all, need hyser when thrown hard or with unclean release. ;)
Also loved the test throws with the compass, somewhat between the two former?
My overstable mid is the Roc3, haven't tried many others (disc 3 or 4).

Lately I've been practicing distance. However I would recommend 2 mids before a FD.
My favorite single FD so far is the River, perfect first disc to reach 300'? Anything more stable acted meat hook for me 2 weeks agoo... If he's into slightly overstable (aim to the right) both the TL3 and the Rival (most stable of the 3) fly like beautys.

DD is disc number 7 earliest, understable pre speed 11 (or flow ;).

My favorite discs seem to be neutral to slightly overstable, remember that as he develops the discs will start acting less stable as he get higher speed and beat in discs. Practice good form with straight reach back and not to throw high and add some hyzer when they start flipping.

These discs are mostly flight paths, there are so many options out there. Compare flight charts with other discs to find options. What brand you going for?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Nenja, i'm not worried about any specific brands in particular. I was originally thinking Discmania P2 putter (beadless aviar) and either a Mako3 or a newer more understable run of Dynamic Discs Truth for a mid. The problem lies with drivers however. He has practiced forehand with an Innova Groove (13 speed), i was thinking a slightly stable FD such as a Teebird so he can forehand with moderate immediate success but that slot is still up in the air. I'm just afraid he will have trouble and get frustrated trying to forehand something like the River. As for the TL3 I haven't tried one but will look into it. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice Nenja, i'm not worried about any specific brands in particular. I was originally thinking Discmania P2 putter (beadless aviar) and either a Mako3 or a newer more understable run of Dynamic Discs Truth for a mid. The problem lies with drivers however. He has practiced forehand with an Innova Groove (13 speed), i was thinking a slightly stable FD such as a Teebird so he can forehand with moderate immediate success but that slot is still up in the air. I'm just afraid he will have trouble and get frustrated trying to forehand something like the River. As for the TL3 I haven't tried one but will look into it. Thanks again!

So there is no plan in practicing BH driving? :)

Yeah overstable seems to be very manageable with forehand, my friend did Kate only and just released it anhyzer... Now i sold him a Flow and he threw over 300 instantly.

The Tl3 isn't too stable. Not like a fresh Teebird.

I have no experience of FH. :/

So there is no plan in practicing BH driving? :)

Yeah overstable seems to be very manageable with forehand, my friend did Kate only and just released it anhyzer... Now i sold him a Flow and he threw over 300 instantly.

The Tl3 isn't too stable. Not like a fresh Teebird.

I have no experience of FH. :/
He would like to learn both FH and BH

I figure the stable FD will be a good tool for FH and a neutral midrange will be a good BH tool

I figure the stable FD will be a good tool for FH and a neutral midrange will be a good BH tool

Sounds wise. He can also practice bh driving with the overstable FD. Good indication of speed and form. It will fade out untill he gets it. ;)

So what mid range will he get? Compass seems sweet and stable (only tested on field but more so than my Vroc, Buzzz & mako3).

I'm so in love with my new discs that I bought more used latitude plastic. Got my first 300' birdie with the bolt yesterday. Flies very understable. Frost Saint is my longest straight disc and today I got myself a frost river and a opto compass to complete my bag. 10 discs to do it all.

That 6 disc bag theory went out the window haha...

Im thinking either a mako3 or Dynamic Discs Truth for a midrange. They have very different feels in the hand and I'll let him decide which he likes.

Im thinking either a mako3 or Dynamic Discs Truth for a midrange. They have very different feels in the hand and I'll let him decide which he likes.

They're probably notably different in flight. Mako3 in g* is slightly understable even so might be a great first disc but he'll want something more stable soon.

It's a balance between quick results and long lasting discs. If he want to stick to the 3 for a while I would say neutral to slightly overstable. However I believe the Buzzz is the magical in between (truth or compass should be close but some turn gives straighter shots).

I definitely considered the Buzzz as I bag one myself. But they definitely don't have the glide or potential distance as the Truth. I feel like a Lucid Truth fits that neutral flight pretty well. But I may also be biased as thats the discs that got me to start driving with midranges.

Hej nenja! Bolt will give you more distance, just keep throwing it! River is awesome, so is Maul. Maybe Ruby? My kid broke 300' w one yesterday at Ale drivingrange :) Overall i would say: Kör på Latitude! Finns garanterat discar som passar dig. Testa Havoc, får du tag på "rätt" så blir den en vän för livet! Testa på, kolla om du kan testkasta andras på banan osv så löser det sig. Howler if theres anything else :) /Jox

Latest posts